The Student Room Group

Difference between phagocytes and lymphocytes?

Please help I'm still confused after searching for ages for a clear, distinct differentiation.
Hi,

Greek phagos = to engulf; cytos = cell.
lymphocyte refers to cells associated with the lymphatic system and which mature in the lymph nodes (lymph is an alternative to venous drainage to return interstitial fluid to the vascular system.

A phagocyte, therefore, is any cell that can engulf or phagocytose other cells or material, typically viruses or bacteria.

Phagocytes include T lymphocytes, macrophages and polymorphonuclear (Greek: having multiple-lobed nuclei) leucocytes (leuco = white so white blood cells).

So there is an overlap between lymphocytes in general and phagocytes cos T lymphocytes are an example of phagocytes but B lymphocytes are not phagocytes (they are involved in humoral immunity [= with antibodies]).

M
Original post by macpatelgh
Hi,

Greek phagos = to engulf; cytos = cell.
lymphocyte refers to cells associated with the lymphatic system and which mature in the lymph nodes (lymph is an alternative to venous drainage to return interstitial fluid to the vascular system.

A phagocyte, therefore, is any cell that can engulf or phagocytose other cells or material, typically viruses or bacteria.

Phagocytes include T lymphocytes, macrophages and polymorphonuclear (Greek: having multiple-lobed nuclei) leucocytes (leuco = white so white blood cells).

So there is an overlap between lymphocytes in general and phagocytes cos T lymphocytes are an example of phagocytes but B lymphocytes are not phagocytes (they are involved in humoral immunity [= with antibodies]).

M

Is there like a website with an overview of the entire immune response like t-cells trigger this, and this triggers this and etc?

I find it hard to understand, and feel like that if there was a website summing it all up, it would be awesome.

Thanks
I do not know any websites that specifically and concisely do this but try looking at this P-P file of mine (you might find it a little brief because it has bullet points designed for and adapted to my teaching techniques, but hope it helps!

M
Reply 4
Original post by anactualmess
Please help I'm still confused after searching for ages for a clear, distinct differentiation.

Phagocytes include macrophages, dendritic cells and neutrophils. Essentially, phagocytes engulf and digest pathogens - this process is known as phagocytosis, hence the name phagocytes. Once the pathogen engulfs a pathogen, lysosomes containing hydrolytic enzymes fuse with the phagosome (containing the pathogen) which destroys the pathogen. Lymphocytes include mainly B cells and T cells. B cells (or more precisely, plasma cells) secrete antibody. T cells can be further subdivided into helper T cells - which have a number of functions including activation B cells and attracting other immune cells to the site of infection, to name a few - and cytotoxic or killer T cells which destroy virus infected or tumour cells.
Reply 5
phagocytes = engulf cells
lymphocytes = produce antibodies which attach the the antigens of pathogens which result into the antibodies and white blood cells to destroy the cell

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending