username3377254
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Price Mechanism: The means by which decisions of consumers and businesses interact to determine the allocation of resources. The free-market price mechanism clearly does NOT ensure an equitable distribution of resources and can lead to market failure.

Why does it not ensure an equitable distribution of resources? and why does it lead to market failure?

Thanks,
timif2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
A market is defined as being in equilibrium when total planned demand meets total planned supply. With a free market price mechanism, this seems highly unlikely, as there are unlimited wants and and finite resources, but people also want different things and in equilibrium, a market, to an extent, means that all needs are satisfied and possibly everyone wants the same thing.

This is not the case in the real world, therefore, and this means that in real world markets, the price would be above or below equilibrium, leading to either an excess supply or demand, respectively.

Market Failure occurs when the market mechanism leads to the wrong quantity of a good being produced, or not being produced at all (excess), which is a product of the free market mechanism.

Also there’s no/very limited government intervention in a free market, so when things go wrong it’s hard to fix.
The Financier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hassm100)
Price Mechanism: The means by which decisions of consumers and businesses interact to determine the allocation of resources. The free-market price mechanism clearly does NOT ensure an equitable distribution of resources and can lead to market failure.

Why does it not ensure an equitable distribution of resources? and why does it lead to market failure?

Thanks,
It's a means of matching supply to demand, but it doesn't discriminate between who has the means to supply and demand. Part of it's function is to ration resources when demand severely outstrips supply by leading to an equilibrium that not many can afford.

For example, think about the next 'stick an 80s photo on a T-shirt' drop by Supreme. Supply of the stuff in the drop is severely limited but there's a ton of hypebeasts who want to buy their stuff. Thus the prices that are set are much higher than typical clothing meaning only those with a lot of money and the will to buy their stuff, can buy their stuff.

Market failure is more of a social concept. Think about why an inequitable distribution of stuff may not (as) beneficial for society and you have your answer
username3377254
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by TeeEff)
It's a means of matching supply to demand, but it doesn't discriminate between who has the means to supply and demand. Part of it's function is to ration resources when demand severely outstrips supply by leading to an equilibrium that not many can afford.

For example, think about the next 'stick an 80s photo on a T-shirt' drop by Supreme. Supply of the stuff in the drop is severely limited but there's a ton of hypebeasts who want to buy their stuff. Thus the prices that are set are much higher than typical clothing meaning only those with a lot of money and the will to buy their stuff, can buy their stuff.

Market failure is more of a social concept. Think about why an inequitable distribution of stuff may not (as) beneficial for society and you have your answer
Perfect example lmao
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (100)
5.14%
Uncertainty around my education (291)
14.95%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (205)
10.53%
Lack of purpose or motivation (272)
13.97%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (85)
4.37%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (111)
5.7%
Loneliness (170)
8.73%
Financial worries (69)
3.54%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (86)
4.42%
Exposure to negative news/social media (92)
4.73%
Lack of real life entertainment (108)
5.55%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (172)
8.83%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (186)
9.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed