The Student Room Group

Deciding on Firm/Insurance: UCL vs Newcastle vs Leeds. Help!

Hi everyone, first time posting on the student room. I could do with help from anyone, medicine applicants, current students , whoever, trying to choose which to firm. Sorry for the long post but I'd appreciate your time.

My offers are as follows:

UCL: A*AA
Newcastle: AAA
Leeds: AAA

(I also have BioMed at Newcastle AAB and currently live in Newcastle.)

I think I have narrowed it down to UCL and Newcastle. Although UCL has a lot of prestige and London is fantastic city, I have found that the student satisfaction for medicine is suspiciously low compared to Newcastle. I don't want to regret going to UCL, especially with the high cost, for the prestige if the quality of life isn't as good. It seems like it may be a more 'leave you to it' university (TEF silver).On the other hand I don't want to regret staying in my home city, although I do also love living here. Newcastle does not have dissection, and is spread around the region but you can intercalate a master's. While UCL is very renowned, has dissection, the intercalation is BSc and I am worried the student life might not be so good and the uni/city is more impersonal. For example, accommodation will be worse and spread around the city. Does anyone know what sort of student might suit one or the other? University is also about getting your Independence and going to a new place in many people's minds so maybe this should mean London is the way to go?

Also on a side note does anyone know of Newcastle or Leeds letting people in on results day with AAB, or UCL with AAA. I have heard this occurs at various places.

I am looking for any current students or applicants with knowledge on what its like to go to these Medical schools and whether they would recommend them. I also would like to know anything about the courses that may be good or bad that you don't get told on the website.

Honestly I've been thinking about it for weeks and can't at all make my mind up. I keep going from one to the other and think I'd like both in the end so any help much appreciated.

Thanks
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Xp_
Hi everyone, first time posting on the student room. I could do with help from anyone, medicine applicants, current students , whoever, trying to choose which to firm. Sorry for the long post but I'd appreciate your time.

My offers are as follows:

UCL: A*AA
Newcastle: AAA
Leeds: AAA

(I also have BioMed at Newcastle AAB and currently live in Newcastle.)

I think I have narrowed it down to UCL and Newcastle. Although UCL has a lot of prestige and London is fantastic city, I have found that the student satisfaction for medicine is suspiciously low compared to Newcastle. I don't want to regret going to UCL, especially with the high cost, for the prestige if the quality of life isn't as good. It seems like it may be a more 'leave you to it' university (TEF silver).On the other hand I don't want to regret staying in my home city, although I do also love living here. Newcastle does not have dissection, and is spread around the region but you can intercalate a master's. While UCL is very renowned, has dissection, the intercalation is BSc and I am worried the student life might not be so good and the uni/city is more impersonal. For example, accommodation will be worse and spread around the city. Does anyone know what sort of student might suit one or the other? University is also about getting your Independence and going to a new place in many people's minds so maybe this should mean London is the way to go?

Also on a side note does anyone know of Newcastle or Leeds letting people in on results day with AAB, or UCL with AAA. I have heard this occurs at various places.

I am looking for any current students or applicants with knowledge on what its like to go to these Medical schools and whether they would recommend them. I also would like to know anything about the courses that may be good or bad that you don't get told on the website.

Honestly I've been thinking about it for weeks and can't at all make my mind up. I keep going from one to the other and think I'd like both in the end so any help much appreciated.

Thanks

Prestige makes no difference as you end up with the same degree. It sounds like UCL has a lot of cons for you in which case I would stay away from it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending