Watch
This discussion is closed.
DayneD89
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
What is this?/I'm confused
Hi there. If you're confused as to what is going on here then you are probably new to this section of TSR. This is a Model House of Commons, a forum where we emulate the structure of the Real Life House of Commons as an excuse to debate politics.

If you are seeing this and you want to get involved in the debate, please feel free. You do not need to join a party, get approval or join any group to get stuck in right away. If you enjoy it and you do want to join a party then you can do so here. If you have any questions or need any help please message me. I am the current speaker of the house and part of my role involves offering impartial advice to new members so I will always be happy to answer what questions you have. Alternatively, you can read the new members guide to get advice on a wide range of issues.

Note: Please refrain from making comments about how we spend our free time. It is our free time to spend.

B1382 - Thought Crime and Offence bill 2018, Joep95, seconded by Connor27
A
BILL TO
Make the country a safe space where people don’t have to face reality

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1- Definitions
(1) In this Act “Thought” means an idea or opinion produced by thinking, or occurring suddenly in the mind.

2- Proscription.
(1) For the purposes of this Act a thought is proscribed if it is listed in Schedule 1.
(2) The Secretary of State may by order—
(a) add a type of thought to Schedule 1;
(b) remove a thought from that Schedule;
(c) amend that Schedule in some other way.
(3) The Secretary of State may exercise his power under subsection (3)(a) in respect of a thought if they dislike a type of thought.

3- Thought Crime
(1) A person commits an offence if he has a thought on the proscribed list.
(2) This is a strict liability offence.
(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—
(a) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years, to a fine or to both, or
(b) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or to both.

4- Causing Offence
(1) A person commits an offence if he causes another person Offence.
(2) This is a strict liability offence.
(3) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable—
(a) on conviction on indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding ten years, to a fine or to both, or
(b) on summary conviction, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding six months, to a fine not exceeding the statutory maximum or to both.

5- Citation and commencement
(1) This Act extends to the United Kingdom.
(2) The provisions of this Act come into force on Royal Assent
(3) This Act may be referred to as the Thought Crime and Offence Act 2018

Schedule 1
Questioning people in power
Homophobic
Sexist
Racist

Notes:
Members of the MHoC have decided that people should be protected from things they don’t like and people who commit thought crime should be punished for that so here is the bill.

Posted By SpeakerBot
Report an issue | Suggest a feature
Connor27
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Disclaimer: joke bill)

Aye.
_gcx
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, a common sense bill.

Further, we should invest in efforts to create mind control devices to seek out deviants and enforce this bill.
username2718212
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Haha.
Mr T 999
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You need to add proivions on how exactly you would know when someone is thinking of committing a crime. At the moment there is no way of practically implementing this.
username2080673
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If I'm someone that doesn't want to 'face reality' for not wanting to hear homophobic, racist and sexist ******** then I'll happily be considered that.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Conceited)
If I'm someone that doesn't want to 'face reality' for not wanting to hear homophobic, racist and sexist ******** then I'll happily be considered that.
Should people be punished for thought? Some members said that alone needs punishment

The reality is people think those things and if you just say no you can’t think that then nothing gets changed all it does is amplify the feelings but like I said some people here just want to shut down people they disagree with those are just some examples
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joep95)
Should people be punished for thought? Some members said that alone needs punishment
Who and what punishments exactly?

I'm inclined to leave whatever cancerous cesspool allows for that. Though, if abuse is apparent then punishment goes without saying.
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Who and what punishments exactly?

I'm inclined to leave whatever cancerous cesspool allows for that. Though, if abuse is apparent then punishment goes without saying.
So thoughts on the bill itself?
username2080673
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joep95)
So thoughts on the bill itself?
Much like your other stuff, an exhibition of your lack of humour and lack of ability to propose content this forum was created for.
CountBrandenburg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye, I’ve always wanted to live in a 1984- like society fair play to the proposer
Joep95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Much like your other stuff, an exhibition of your lack of humour and lack of ability to propose content this forum was created for.
If my stuff was is so bad why is it a search of Hansard shows that the majority of times your name comes up it’s connected to something I’ve created?

The MHoC is actually around to debate any topic someone wants to write a bill and submit, so I would say it is exactly what this exist for
LibertarianMP
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Aye- As an Islington Corbynista I think my tumblr should be safe from cis gender bigots
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Many members of the house are certainly supportive of the idea in principle given how desperate they are to create safe spaces for themselves.
username1450924
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
here here

I am amazed that some people are so desperate to be racist, or homophobic, but that is what I have come to expect from certain disgusting members of this house.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Wrong time for a joke bill.

PRSOM.
username1450924
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If wanting to have fun on a game, if wanting not to be at the end of homophobic or racist abuse, if not wanting to spend your time dealing with nimwits means having a 'safe space', then sign me up.
username1899909
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good bill, Aye
Gladstone1885
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Connor27)
(Disclaimer: joke bill)

Aye.
Boy am I glad you gave us that disclaimer.
Connor27
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Gladstone1885)
Boy am I glad you gave us that disclaimer.
I know some members need their trigger warnings
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (94)
13.78%
I'm not sure (32)
4.69%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (214)
31.38%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.35%
I'm not a current university student (326)
47.8%

Watched Threads