Why do soldiers get paid less than footballers?

Watch this thread
This discussion is closed.
Youkai111
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I found out that footballers get paid more than soldiers who risk their lives saving you. I'm disappointed and upset that soldiers don't get paid much as they should be. I want to hear what you think too.
Mrs.Grey
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Youkai111)
I found out that footballers get paid more than soldiers who risk their lives saving you. I'm disappointed and upset that soldiers don't get paid much as they should be. I want to hear what you think too.
I agree, I could live without footballers.
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Sponsors etc. That's it really.
bobs my uncle
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
A solider has less value than a premier league footballer. The footballer has more ability and a better work ethic.
that_guy874
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Both media and society value footballers more than soldiers - not much is going to change that.
Rk2k14
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
A Rolling Stone
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
this post is why we should raise the voting age to 20
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Some soldiers get paid more than some footballers.
Kian Stevens
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
It's like any high profile sportsperson. Footballers, racing drivers, et al. It's all the same; they get paid high amounts because they're high profile, and so sponsors throw money at them, etc.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Trinculo)
Some soldiers get paid more than some footballers.
(Original post by CollectiveSoul)
this post is why we should raise the voting age to 20
(Original post by Kian Stevens)
Sponsors etc. That's it really.
these only
Vikingninja
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Because they earn their businesses a staggering amount of money hence why the best get paid so much to keep them in their role. Makes complete sense really.
monkeyman0121
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
What do you expect. There are lots of soldiers that are needed by the country. There are a lot less footballers. If we were to lower footballers income by a lot then half of them would stop doing it, causing us to lose income from matches and stuff like that.
M451
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Supply and demand
iBearHQ
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Football teams get a f**k load of money from advertising brands due to the amount of people that watch football games, especially the amount of people that watch the big teams (Real Madrid, Barcelona etc). A lot of money is also made from the sale of tickets. If we do some maths: the cheapest ticket for a Barcelona game against Villarreal (their last game) was 145 euros. Camp Nou holds 99,354 people. Let's say 80% of seats are full 99,354 * 145 = 14,406,330 euros from one match.
username1732491
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Soldiers get paid by governments, Footballers get paid by corporations.

Governments have to set up a salary system for all soldiers, and are always looking to minimise costs where possible. They’ll pay enough to make the career worthwhile, but they won’t pay lots of extra money for extra merit.

Football clubs are also trying to cut down on costs, but unlike governments they don’t have to set a standard price for all their players. They can pay players as much or as little as they want, but the most important thing is, they can’t guarantee someone will play for them. If someone else offers a better salary at a different club, it’s likely that player will switch.

Soldiers don’t get this competitiveness. They’re fighting for the UK whether they like it or not. All the government needs to do is make sure the deal is better than any other deal the soldiers could get from a different job, and the soldiers will continue to fight for them. If the market for soldiers was more competitive, say, if we and multiple countries ran a mercenary army system, then soldiers would get paid a lot more. However, I’m sure you can see many problems with this system.
fred flinstone
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The football business is a private sector not public.
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by monkeyman0121)
What do you expect. There are lots of soldiers that are needed by the country. There are a lot less footballers. If we were to lower footballers income by a lot then half of them would stop doing it, causing us to lose income from matches and stuff like that.
(Original post by iBearHQ)
Football teams get a f**k load of money from advertising brands due to the amount of people that watch football games, especially the amount of people that watch the big teams (Real Madrid, Barcelona etc).
nah monkey, it's what iBear said. Same for any celebrity. "Highest paid" doesn't just mean "income" for the job, it comes from ads. For example most of Tiger Woods net pay is from wearing Nike while playing. Footballers get paid so much just to wear something or drink something, while playing and while not.
Andrew97
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The UK army has 81,500 trained personnel. Bit hard to pay them all 30m+
Bang Outta Order
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by TimGB)
Soldiers get paid by governments, Footballers get paid by corporations.

Soldiers don’t get this competitiveness. They’re fighting for the UK whether they like it or not. All the government needs to do is make sure the deal is better than any other deal the soldiers could get from a different job, and the soldiers will continue to fight for them. If the market for soldiers was more competitive, say, if we and multiple countries ran a mercenary army system, then soldiers would get paid a lot more. However, I’m sure you can see many problems with this system.
The 1st sentence is true, but to the rest you kinda went out the window. Soldiers arent on a "market" for God sake. They simply do not get paid more because it's an honourable job. Higher pay removes the honour. And as the government pays them, because the govt has its priorities screwed with where money is allocated, fighting soldiers get paid less than they perhaps should. But I'm sure a scientist or biologist etc in the force gets paid a lot.
Jjj90
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Because football clubs spend money on players and their wages in order to improve the squad in order to entice the fans in order to generate more money. It makes business sense for owners to pay players more money in order to get them to play for a club. This obviously only applies for a certain type of job. It is an erroneous argument that never fails to irritate me.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (130)
65.99%
No (45)
22.84%
I didn't use it to prepare (22)
11.17%

Watched Threads