AQA Politics GOVP1 PredictionsWatch
Does anyone have any predictions for questions on Topic 1 (Participation and Voting Behaviour) and for Topic 2 (Electoral Systems)?
Either that or I think it'll have to do with brexit (hoping not)
Can someone explain why the use of referendums has increased since 1997???
- rise in informal politics than formal: 38 degrees (UK campaign group has 2.5 million members whereas, the Labour Party has 552,000 members) has more members - shift from party membership to pressure group (so influence of pressure groups is higher)
- role of mass media
- increasing political participation: general elections are fixed term - without referendums it will lead to voter fatigue
- increased internet access: people are becoming more aware and are putting their views forward
- increase in single issues: people are more attracted to individual decision making and action than group
HOWEVER, providing the use of referendums:
- subject to influence of external groups (Cambridge analytica - eu referendum 2016)
- democratic overload
- holds the views of the day
Not sure how well I answered the 25 marker for topic 1?? I made a point for how class was a more prevalent in the past, but then made a rebuttal about how it was still important. I did the same with 2 points about gender and then finished with a point on ethnicity. Does that sound about right? I've basically answered it how I'd answer a 'discuss question'...