Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    My GCSE exams start tomorrow. Three exams in one day, Computer Science, 20 minutes after that it's ICT, then in the afternoon it's RE. ICT I'm not worried about, I'll do a bit of revision for that but I feel confident that I'll get A's and B's in it.Computer Science however I think I'll only get a low C without revision. I've been cramming today(Revising like a month beforehand doesn't work for me at all, it's better if I cram stuff in) and nothing is sticking with me. I've tried pass papers, a textbook and separate information sheet on all six topics while also writing down on paper(to increase the chance of me remembering it) but I can't remember anything. By the time you guys respond to this I'll have done my exam and be home, but what's scaring me is the thought that it's going to be the same for all exams - a week ago I was super confident about them but suddenly now that they've arrived I feel like I'm going to do absolutely sh*te at them. Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Cramming helps at the time but not for long term. You’ll end up needing to learn it again as you progress further into your studies. Believe me, I’ve been through it. Basically crammed my whole life and messed up my grades really badly, can’t even do the career I really want

You really need to find a revision method that works for you, for proper learning and not just cramming. There are so many revision methods out there.

Try them all and see which one helps. But seeing you don’t have much time right now, I suggest you try new methods later and think about what works so far for you. Do you find you remember stuff your teacher says in class or the visual images they have on the board? Or do you remember things written down? Figure out what sort of learner you are and work from there.

Visual learners > make mindmapa, draw diagrams, watch videos

Auditory > listen to videos, podcast, say out loud what you are reading, talk to yourself explaining concepts or talk to a friend

That just gives you a rough idea.

Here’s a better explanation:
    http://www.rasmussen.edu/student-lif...s-of-learners/

Past papers do help! You get used to the exam style questions and format, and how to answer them. Make sure you are doing the papers without looking at notes or answers. Think, do I really know this. Then check your answers. The more repitition you do, the more likely you will remember it. Give you a bit of sciency explanation, it’s because you’re reusing the same neuron pathway every time you think about a memory, it strengthens the pathway and you remember it easier. Works the same for old memories. Memories you access often, you remember better and with more clarity than memories you never reminisce (access).

Hope this helps. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jadys10)
    Cramming helps at the time but not for long term. You’ll end up needing to learn it again as you progress further into your studies. Believe me, I’ve been through it. Basically crammed my whole life and messed up my grades really badly, can’t even do the career I really want

You really need to find a revision method that works for you, for proper learning and not just cramming. There are so many revision methods out there.

Try them all and see which one helps. But seeing you don’t have much time right now, I suggest you try new methods later and think about what works so far for you. Do you find you remember stuff your teacher says in class or the visual images they have on the board? Or do you remember things written down? Figure out what sort of learner you are and work from there.

Visual learners > make mindmapa, draw diagrams, watch videos

Auditory > listen to videos, podcast, say out loud what you are reading, talk to yourself explaining concepts or talk to a friend

That just gives you a rough idea.

Here’s a better explanation:
    http://www.rasmussen.edu/student-lif...s-of-learners/

Past papers do help! You get used to the exam style questions and format, and how to answer them. Make sure you are doing the papers without looking at notes or answers. Think, do I really know this. Then check your answers. The more repitition you do, the more likely you will remember it. Give you a bit of sciency explanation, it’s because you’re reusing the same neuron pathway every time you think about a memory, it strengthens the pathway and you remember it easier. Works the same for old memories. Memories you access often, you remember better and with more clarity than memories you never reminisce (access).

Hope this helps. Good luck!
    Thanks a bunch man, I can probably get some of those techniques done in time since I'm only starting tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    I agree that cramming is not good and for your future life (a levels or uni or work), do not do it!
    But for now, just try to spend your time practising questions - you can get them from flashcards, revision guides, past papers, Seneca Learning (free website). We learn more when we actively bring information back to mind, then by simply reading it from a piece of paper. Actually, Seneca has a blog explaining this https://senecalearning.com/blog/revision-tips/

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.