Causeway View or New Carnegie Court Watch

egg6969
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I'm torn between staying at Causeway View or New Carnegie Court in Aberdeen. Are there many people from UofAberdeen at Causeway View. Is it mostly 2nd, 3rd, 4th years at CV as well?
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by egg6969)
I'm torn between staying at Causeway View or New Carnegie Court in Aberdeen. Are there many people from UofAberdeen at Causeway View. Is it mostly 2nd, 3rd, 4th years at CV as well?
Moved to the Aberdeen subforum :borat:
egg6969
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
bump
C_W99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I stayed at NCC this year but am staying at CV next year. I’d say if you’re a fresher go for NCC! Hillhead has a great atmosphere as there’s always something going on. CV is a right mix of the unis and colleges where as NCC is all UoA students. NCC is a bit away from town but there are bus routes twice an hour and is a beautiful walk through Seaton Park to campus. Hope this helps!!
Clansman
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by C_W99)
I stayed at NCC this year but am staying at CV next year. I’d say if you’re a fresher go for NCC! Hillhead has a great atmosphere as there’s always something going on. CV is a right mix of the unis and colleges where as NCC is all UoA students. NCC is a bit away from town but there are bus routes twice an hour and is a beautiful walk through Seaton Park to campus. Hope this helps!!
Hey do you know how students are paired in NCC? Just wondering as I can't apply for NCC until I recieve an unconditional, do they put freshers in flats with freshers or is it just a complete mix? If so do they do it by subject or just whatever?

Any info appreciated
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Been at CV for my first year and it is a very central location. It is about the same walk to UofA so I would say go to CV as there are more shops within a 5 min walking distance.
Clansman
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Bio 7)
Been at CV for my first year and it is a very central location. It is about the same walk to UofA so I would say go to CV as there are more shops within a 5 min walking distance.
What's CV like in terms of meeting freshers and what not, as by the sounds of things most freshers are concentrated in NCC?
I'd love to go to CV as its the best value for money in comparison to CV but am a bit worried that there wont be many freshers to meet.
Bio 7
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Clansman)
What's CV like in terms of meeting freshers and what not, as by the sounds of things most freshers are concentrated in NCC?
I'd love to go to CV as its the best value for money in comparison to CV but am a bit worried that there wont be many freshers to meet.
I stayed in a studio most of the year but when I began in the shared flat most of the 8 were over 20, but there are busy communal areas where a lot of people do hang out so you may find some there.

Meeting people your best bet is likely NCC but location and flat wise CV is far better. Both have pros and cons for starting out.
C_W99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hey!Hillhead is 99% freshers and the second years that stay there are folk that jumped straight into it. You can still apply for it even if you’re on a conditional. We all got an email around the start of July where we got our accodation offers. As for your flatmates it tends to be a mix of subjects. For example I’m a musician but one of my flatmates was a marine biologist and the rest studied business. Just let me know if you have anymore questions. 😁
matth3wb23
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I really liked the look of Causeway View, and I've booked a room there for next year (2018/19) but have decided not to study in Aberdeen. I need to find somebody to take over the tenancy for a classic en-suite room, so if you decide to book a room, please get in touch!
Cheers, Matt
R321
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by C_W99)
Hey!Hillhead is 99% freshers and the second years that stay there are folk that jumped straight into it. You can still apply for it even if you’re on a conditional. We all got an email around the start of July where we got our accodation offers. As for your flatmates it tends to be a mix of subjects. For example I’m a musician but one of my flatmates was a marine biologist and the rest studied business. Just let me know if you have anymore questions. 😁
Hi, im joining UoA in September and was wondering if i could ask you some questions thanks
C_W99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by R321)
Hi, im joining UoA in September and was wondering if i could ask you some questions thanks
Go ahead 😊
R321
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by C_W99)
Go ahead 😊
Well i just recently got my acceptance to start in September and im going to be studying business and economics. I applied for the NCC accomodation and am hoping to get confirmation on it soon. Could you tell me anything about NCC or hillhead in general? (NCC compared to other accomodation, general atmosphere, social aspect?)

Also, this may sound stupid but ive seen places where en-suite bathrooms means literally just the shower is private but the toilets are shared, is this the case over there? (website says "en-suite bathrooms"

thanks in advance!
C_W99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by R321)
Well i just recently got my acceptance to start in September and im going to be studying business and economics. I applied for the NCC accomodation and am hoping to get confirmation on it soon. Could you tell me anything about NCC or hillhead in general? (NCC compared to other accomodation, general atmosphere, social aspect?)

Also, this may sound stupid but ive seen places where en-suite bathrooms means literally just the shower is private but the toilets are shared, is this the case over there? (website says "en-suite bathrooms"

thanks in advance!
That’s what my flatmates from NCC studied 😊

Yes you should get a confirmation soon.

I absolutely loved living at Hillhead last year and I’m actually quite sad that I’m not going back. It’s great having all the uni halls in one place as you don’t have to go far to go see you’re friends and coursemates. Having the Hillhead shop is great because it has a wide variety on offer. It’s more expensive than Lidl at the bottom of the hill but at least you’re not lugging everything back up! Also in the winter the hill gets really slippery with ice so watch out!

If I’m honest in the winter NCC is freezing! It has electric heaters which help take the edge off but one night I was still watching TV with my thick double duvet, dressing gown and cardigan on.

During freshers (especially the first night) the courtyard is buzzing with people. Generally when there’s a big event it is too.

Bathroom is shower, toilet and sink. The showers look small from the outside but are actually fine when you are in.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask
R321
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by C_W99)
That’s what my flatmates from NCC studied 😊

Yes you should get a confirmation soon.

I absolutely loved living at Hillhead last year and I’m actually quite sad that I’m not going back. It’s great having all the uni halls in one place as you don’t have to go far to go see you’re friends and coursemates. Having the Hillhead shop is great because it has a wide variety on offer. It’s more expensive than Lidl at the bottom of the hill but at least you’re not lugging everything back up! Also in the winter the hill gets really slippery with ice so watch out!

If I’m honest in the winter NCC is freezing! It has electric heaters which help take the edge off but one night I was still watching TV with my thick double duvet, dressing gown and cardigan on.

During freshers (especially the first night) the courtyard is buzzing with people. Generally when there’s a big event it is too.

Bathroom is shower, toilet and sink. The showers look small from the outside but are actually fine when you are in.

Hope this helps. If you have any more questions feel free to ask
Sounds good. Could you tell me how much, on average, were your expenses per month OTHER than the rent of the flat (food, going out, just the general student life)? I hear Aberdeen is rather expensive...
C_W99
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by R321)
Sounds good. Could you tell me how much, on average, were your expenses per month OTHER than the rent of the flat (food, going out, just the general student life)? I hear Aberdeen is rather expensive...
Actually Aberdeen isn’t that expensive. Like anywhere it depends what you buy. I have a £100 a week budget. That generally more than enough on an average week.

If your traveling by train a lot definitely get a rail card!
R321
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by C_W99)
Actually Aberdeen isn’t that expensive. Like anywhere it depends what you buy. I have a £100 a week budget. That generally more than enough on an average week.

If your traveling by train a lot definitely get a rail card!
Guess everything will become clearer once i get there in September. Thank you so much for the help i really appreciate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 5 Oct '19

What's your favourite genre?

Rock (173)
24.3%
Pop (176)
24.72%
Jazz (29)
4.07%