The Student Room Group

What causes you stress at school?

Lots of students find themselves stressed during exam time.

But what is it particularly that causes you this stress?:curious:

Is it pressure to do well? From yourself? From family? From teachers? Friends?

Do personal relationships between you and your friends; Or your significant other cause you stress while at school?

How do you manage with balancing your time between studying and other commitments mentally?

Is it the idea of the exams/assessments themselves which freaks you out? Are you scared of not doing well?

Please share your experiences if you've been stressed at school.:heart:

Please remember that it's perfectly okay to feel stressed at this time of year, and that there are support mechanisms out there for you.:sadnod: Here's a guide on who you can talk to if you need it. And TSR has some excellent advice on how to take care of yourself during exams here.

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Something that caused me a lot of stress at secondary school was realising I was so different from my friends (from Year 9 onwards, they were into make-up, fashion and boys - none of which interested me) but feeling trapped into the friendship circle. I became SO much happy when I finally found people who were more like me in Year 10. Started hanging out with them instead and never looked back :moon:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Something that caused me a lot of stress at secondary school was realising I was so different from my friends (from Year 9 onwards, they were into make-up, fashion and boys - none of which interested me) but feeling trapped into the friendship circle. I became SO much happy when I finally found people who were more like me in Year 10. Started hanging out with them instead and never looked back :moon:
That's really good that you managed to get through that.:hugs:
Original post by 04MR17
That's really good that you managed to get through that.:hugs:

Yeah, took me a long time but I got there in the end :redface:
What causes me to feel stressed is knowing that everyone wants me to do well and I feel as though I'm going to disappoint myself aswell as everyone else if I fail.
I work hard and feel as though my hard work will never pay off and that just adds to my stress.

Original post by 04MR17

Do personal relationships between you and your friends; Or your significant other cause you stress while at school?

How do you manage with balancing your time between studying and other commitments mentally?

Is it the idea of the exams/assessments themselves which freaks you out? Are you scared of not doing well?

Please remember that it's perfectly okay to feel stressed at this time of year, and that there are support mechanisms out there for you.:sadnod: Here's a guide on who you can talk to if you need it. And TSR has some excellent advice on how to take care of yourself during exams here.

Spoiler

crap teachers. For the past 2 years, every geography lesson has been copying out the text book. I honestly dont know anything...
I tend to get very stressed during exam season. I fee as though I leave it all to the last minute and then feel overwhelmed when I realise how much I have to do. I also have high targets for myself, and when I come out of an exam feeling as though I haven't reached those targets, I'm just disappointed and end up thinking about how many more marks I could've got if I just paced myself and kept calm.
the fact that my school isnt giving us study leave!!!!!!!!!! and that they think its would help us stress less if we had support at school but NOW WE'RE ALL STRESSInG AT SCHOOL
Original post by justanotherchica
the fact that my school isnt giving us study leave!!!!!!!!!! and that they think its would help us stress less if we had support at school but NOW WE'RE ALL STRESSInG AT SCHOOL
:console: Are you talking to someone about this?:puppyeyes:
Something that caused me stress at secondary school was the fact that I was being bullied, teachers knew and did nothing at all.

I pressure myself to do well but not to the extent I can't cope, generally. Teachers on the other hand apply pressure when they've not been doing their job to 'teach' as effeciebtly as they could. Some teachers are just exam and text book teachers and then wonder why students are not picking things up. Erm... well you haven't taught it.

No one likes to feel like they aren't doing well, then it goes both ways. Either you just stop caring, hence whatever, or you are so stressed toucan't concentrate. Balance needs to be learnt so enough pressure to motivate but not halt your progress.

I think as you grow older, you learn how to manage things in a way that works for you. Individuals themselves need to learn to not give up but to try different techniques to learn to cope as it varies for everyone.
@Sonechka has also made a wonderful thread about strategies to deal with stress at school here...
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5369746
:smile:
Just school in general gives me stress.. :getmecoat:
It stresses me out that my results aren't going to be good enough for me to be able to get into a Sixth Form/College. That'll really upset me and disappoint my family.
(edited 5 years ago)
pressure to do well. my parents are completely fine suprisingly, they dont mind what i get at all aslong as i amyself am happy. as long as i pass.
however i feel as though if i come out with a bad grades it will be embarassing because all my friends grades will be high. i just dont want that day when everyone starts pestering me for my results.
Most of my pressure comes from myself wanting to strive and do well in school. The rest comes from trying to live up to social norms and expectations from friends and family.
Original post by seriouslygcse
The rest comes from trying to live up to social norms and expectations from friends and family.
Like what if you don't mind me asking?:smile:
Original post by 04MR17
Like what if you don't mind me asking?:smile:

My parents want me to do well and study.

I feel like an outcast from friends because I don’t own a PS4 and play fortnite. So I try to live up to them by other stuff like talking about school a lot. I find that it gets awkward since we don’t have any other things to talk about.
Personally, I was stressed by the sheer number of homework assignments.
Probably every student faces this problem.
Original post by adviceiguess

I remember that horror, too. Because of the large amount of homework, students often get stressed, and some even get depressed. It's all very awful. I wanted to know more about stress and here https://edubirdie.com/examples/stress/ I found just all the information about it. And also ways to avoid it. I think it will come in handy for a lot of people.

I have a very similar situation.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending