Q = mcpdT - what am I doing wrong here?

Watch
DomDelaCruz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
In identifying the heat transfer of a U-tube pipe buried under ground given a measured inlet and outlet temperature, is the equation Q = mdot*cp*dT always true?

At which conditions does this equation not hold true? Assuming that the surrounding ground is homogeneous and that the only moving "object" is the fluid flowing in the pipe.

I'm trying to identify the heat transfer of a U-tube pipe buried under ground. It has a slightly complex geometry of having the pipe surrounded with grout (to fill up the void during the excavation of the borehole).

In an attempt to calculate the heat transfer, I calculated the respective thermal resistances of the pipe, fluid flowing in the pipe, the surrounding grout and the surrounding soil.Then, I used an equation to identify the temperature evolution of the fluid through the pipe (see image below).

Name:  Capture.PNG
Views: 290
Size:  203.3 KB

I took the average of the inlet and outlet temperature, call this T_HTFmean. Let's call the temperature of the surrounding soil as T_soil.

So I've set the heat transfer to Q = (T_HTFmean - T_soil) / (sum of thermal resistances * depth of U-tube) .

(see image above for thermal resistances)

Since I know the inlet and outlet temperatures, surely the calculated heat transfer above should match the heat transfer obtained from Q = mdot*cp*dT.... but it does not... so, I am trying to figure out if the way I have calculated the heat transfer above using the thermal resistances is incorrect or if Q = mdot*cp*dT is not necessarily always true in this specific question. Thanks
DomDelaCruz
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Alternatively, can someone try to derive how they got to the temperature evolution equation -- T(z,t) equation in the image
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (396)
56.33%
I don't have everything I need (307)
43.67%

Watched Threads