ineeedhellp
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Can someone please explain to me how metallic bonding actually works,

I know that the free electrons become delocalised but I don't know how or what happens to those delocalised electrons

Thanks.
igotnomoney
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by ineeedhellp)
Can someone please explain to me how metallic bonding actually works,

I know that the free electrons become delocalised but I don't know how or what happens to those delocalised electrons

Thanks.
All you need to know is that it is a giant structure where *positive* ions are surrounded by delovslosrd electrons which are *free to move* .. it is the movement of these electrons that let the metal have property of conducting electricity .. that's all you need to know .. good luck
ineeedhellp
Rep:
?
(Original post by igotnomoney)
All you need to know is that it is a giant structure where *positive* ions are surrounded by delovslosrd electrons which are *free to move* .. it is the movement of these electrons that let the metal have property of conducting electricity .. that's all you need to know .. good luck
this may sound stupid but is there only 1 metal involved
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes. Only one metal is involved because it's how the metal itself is structured; the metal isn't bonded to other metals, is it?

Metals have giant metallic lattices, and these have metallic bonding which keeps the ions together - this is the electrostatic attraction between positive metal ions (just for clarification, these are only the ions of a single metal, not many) and a sea of delocalised electrons.
igotnomoney
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes .. so let's say sodium, magnesium and all the metals .. I see where you confused .. it is not like two different element bonding like it is in ionic and covalent bonding e.g NaCl ...
ineeedhellp
Rep:
?
(Original post by igotnomoney)
Yes .. so let's say sodium, magnesium and all the metals .. I see where you confused .. it is not like two different element bonding like it is in ionic and covalent bonding e.g NaCl ...
does the metal lose or gain a charge or not because its only electrons being transferred not ions
Kian Stevens
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
does the metal lose or gain a charge or not because its only electrons being transferred not ions
Metals lose electrons, so gain positive charge. There's no ion transfer during ionic bonding...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (95)
38.93%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (27)
11.07%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (18)
7.38%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (57)
23.36%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (30)
12.3%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (17)
6.97%

Watched Threads