Name:  163.PNG
Views: 18
Size:  25.0 KB
27FT
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Well 3+ indicates that the ion is in Group 3, so it must be a transition metals. All transition metal ions have incomplete d sub shells so it must be B
h26
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by 27FT)
Well 3+ indicates that the ion is in Group 3, so it must be a transition metals. All transition metal ions have incomplete d sub shells so it must be B
but can't atoms in other groups form a +3 charge as well? is it always transition metals?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
27FT
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by h26)
but can't atoms in other groups form a +3 charge as well? is it always transition metals?
But only transition metals are able to have a 3+ charge due to their variable oxidation states so it's still B. A non-transition metal won't have a 3+ charge
h26
Rep:
?
(Original post by 27FT)
But only transition metals are able to have a 3+ charge due to their variable oxidation states so it's still B. A non-transition metal won't have a 3+ charge
Thanks however I found that arsenic can have a +3 charge and it is not even a transition metal -could you please lemme know your thoughts about this?
27FT
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by h26)
Thanks however I found that arsenic can have a +3 charge and it is not even a transition metal -could you please lemme know your thoughts about this?
It's kind of confusing to explain but there are some atoms that are able to act sort of like transition metals, arsenic is a metalloid so it has some metallic properties. However you would know that this case isn't describing Arsenic because the answer D is Arsenic in it's atomic form (with a neutral charge)
h26
Rep:
?
(Original post by 27FT)
It's kind of confusing to explain but there are some atoms that are able to act sort of like transition metals, arsenic is a metalloid so it has some metallic properties. However you would know that this case isn't describing Arsenic because the answer D is Arsenic in it's atomic form (with a neutral charge)
ah ok thanks a lot
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (119)
17.68%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (71)
10.55%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (119)
17.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (99)
14.71%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (65)
9.66%
How can I be the best version of myself? (200)
29.72%

Watched Threads