The Student Room Group

SQA National 5 Psychology 2017-18

There wasn't a thread for N5 psychology for this year so I created this one for it. I know the exam is still a while away but how's everyone feeling about it?

Scroll to see replies

OMG yasss, a psychology thread!! Thank you so much!!

I'm feeling okay about it tbh, it's the only exam I have left after today so plenty time for it.
How you feeling about it?
Reply 2
Original post by independentx
OMG yasss, a psychology thread!! Thank you so much!!

I'm feeling okay about it tbh, it's the only exam I have left after today so plenty time for it.
How you feeling about it?

Ah lucky! I still have biology, history and French this week and then chemistry next week, and then I have about ten days with no exams before psychology.

I'm quite comfortable with Conformity and Sleep and Dreams I think. We're doing Phobias and NVC for the optional ones and I'm more worried about those, especially Phobias. Also the fact that the exam has completely changed for this year isn't ideal because all we have to work from is the specimen paper and some specific questions from past papers but overall I think it'll be okay.

How do you think you did in the assignment?
Original post by sbneelu
Ah lucky! I still have biology, history and French this week and then chemistry next week, and then I have about ten days with no exams before psychology.

I'm quite comfortable with Conformity and Sleep and Dreams I think. We're doing Phobias and NVC for the optional ones and I'm more worried about those, especially Phobias. Also the fact that the exam has completely changed for this year isn't ideal because all we have to work from is the specimen paper and some specific questions from past papers but overall I think it'll be okay.

How do you think you did in the assignment?

OMG, that's a lot of exams!! Good luck for all of those!

OMG, we're doing NVC and phobias too... and I'm also finding phobias quite difficult. I'm relatively comfortable with NVC but our teacher left during the phobias topic and we ended up with another teacher teaching us it so it was taught a bit different to the other topics.

Oh god, that assignment was stressful. I think I might have done okay though after a lot of changes - how about you?
Reply 4
OMG, that's a lot of exams!! Good luck for all of those!

OMG, we're doing NVC and phobias too... and I'm also finding phobias quite difficult. I'm relatively comfortable with NVC but our teacher left during the phobias topic and we ended up with another teacher teaching us it so it was taught a bit different to the other topics.

Oh god, that assignment was stressful. I think I might have done okay though after a lot of changes - how about you?

Thanks aha. Yeah phobias is a weird one. Which research studies are you doing for it?

Yeah I know what you mean about the assignment. At the start I think I had about 1600 words but I still hadn't covered everything I had to and then I had to bring it down which was quite difficult to do without getting rid of anything important but I feel like I'm a lot better at summarising now because of it so I guess it was useful. I think it went okay but I don't want to rely on that, I need to do well in the exam.
Original post by sbneelu
Thanks aha. Yeah phobias is a weird one. Which research studies are you doing for it?

Yeah I know what you mean about the assignment. At the start I think I had about 1600 words but I still hadn't covered everything I had to and then I had to bring it down which was quite difficult to do without getting rid of anything important but I feel like I'm a lot better at summarising now because of it so I guess it was useful. I think it went okay but I don't want to rely on that, I need to do well in the exam.

We're doing Little Albert (1920) and Dias and Ressler (2013). You? Also what studies are you doing for NVC? We're doing David Matsumoto (2009) and Yuki et al (2007).

OMG same, I had about 1600 as well and had to cut it right down and summarise bits of it that I really really wanted to keep in but were stupidly unnecessary.
Reply 6
We're doing Little Albert (1920) and Dias and Ressler (2013). You? Also what studies are you doing for NVC? We're doing David Matsumoto (2009) and Yuki et al (2007).

OMG same, I had about 1600 as well and had to cut it right down and summarise bits of it that I really really wanted to keep in but were stupidly unnecessary.

Ah cool. We’re doing the same ones as you for both topics but we’re doing Ekman and Friesen (1971) instead of Matsumoto although I’ll probably revise the Matsumoto one anyway because it will probably be quite useful to back points up for other questions.

Omg yeah same, I had so much that was unnecessary but it just flowed a lot better with all that stuff and I had to get rid of a bunch of things that explained different concepts that weren’t necessary but I feel like it would be a lot better if I had those in. I think I had pretty much everything they wanted in munich final copy though so hopefully I did quite well in it. I think my final one was about 1300 words but I think that should be fine because I think they give you 10% more than the word limit? I hope I don’t et penalised for that and I really hope I did well haha.
Exam in a week (well, 6 days, as it's 1am as I'm posting this).. I cannot believe it it's coming round so quickly!!

There don't seem to be many people studying Nat 5 psychology though.
Exam in a week (well, 6 days, as it's 1am as I'm posting this).. I cannot believe it it's coming round so quickly!!

It's not available in most schools, in my school there is only one teacher who does National 5 Psychology as well as National 5 Maths.
Original post by Scottish15
It's not available in most schools, in my school there is only one teacher who does National 5 Psychology as well as National 5 Maths.

That's an interesting combo, psychology and maths.
Reply 10

Ikr omg, I really want to do well but I feel like I haven’t been doing enough revision because I took all this free time between my last exam and psychology for granted. I’ll try to spend as much time over the weekend as possible revising though.

How ready do you feel for the exam?
That's an interesting combo, psychology and maths.

Original post by sbneelu
Ikr omg, I really want to do well but I feel like I haven’t been doing enough revision because I took all this free time between my last exam and psychology for granted. I’ll try to spend as much time over the weekend as possible revising though.

How ready do you feel for the exam?

I'm not taking Psychology but it looks like a very interesting subject, good luck to you all with the exam!
Reply 12
I'm not taking Psychology but it looks like a very interesting subject, good luck to you all with the exam!

Thank you! Good luck to you too if you have any exams left :smile:
Original post by sbneelu
Thank you! Good luck to you too if you have any exams left :smile:

Thankfully I have finished mine as they were all at the start of the exam period which is good as I'm still on study leave. Good luck to any other exams you have as well!
Reply 14
Thankfully I have finished mine as they were all at the start of the exam period which is good as I'm still on study leave. Good luck to any other exams you have as well!

Ah lucky! Well I hope you manage to relax until the end of study leave! :smile:

And psychology's the only one I've got left, but thanks!
Reply 15
Good luck for tomorrow! :smile:
Hope the exam goes well for you all today :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Labrador99
Hope the exam goes well for you all today :smile:

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 18
@independentx How did you find the exam?

I thought it went quite well but I got mixed up between the two different dream contents but other than that I think it went fine. :smile:
I hope I did well.
Original post by sbneelu
@independentx How did you find the exam?

I thought it went quite well but I got mixed up between the two different dream contents but other than that I think it went fine. :smile:
I hope I did well.

Hi, I've been studying psychology National 5 at college. There were 2 questions in the exam that my lecturer did not cover. I think there was a question about social skills training?, and our lecturer did not cover it. She taught us sleep n dreams and conformity fine and i felt confident about my answers in this section but its just been the last few weeks that shes been covering Altruism and phobias more. I hope all you lot get an A :smile: . Also thanks for starting a thread as there has been nobody else. What dream contents did you get mixed up with? I hope you did great though...x

Quick Reply

Latest