"It's political correctnes gone mad!" Watch

punktopia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Is anyone else tired of people saying this? I personally am opposed to many examples of what is commonly referred to as "political correctness" - I don't like language being controlled, people should be free to say whatever they want.

HOWEVER...

Many people seem to be using it as an excuse for their own racist/sexist/whateverist opinions. I just came across a group that wanted the female commentator in Match of the Day booted off the show because, and I quote, "No disrespect to women, but lets be real, a female commentator doesn't suit football." The creator of the group then goes on to say "This is political correctness gone absolutely beserk."

Right. No, it isn't, you're just a sexist pig. It's not just sexism - I've been accused of being "politcally correct" because I called someone racist who referred to a black man using the 'n' word. I think people should be allowed to say what they want, but please... just don't claim the moral high ground and pretend you're not being racist etc.

It reminds me of a classic Peep Show moment, in what is probably the best episode (Mark befriends a fascist). It's sad when life mirrors art.

EDIT: Yeah, I missed an 's' off the title, and I'm doing an English degree, aren't I a moron etc.
Owl1867
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In fairness that female commentator on MOTD is crap
Thud
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm tired of punktopia. :yawn:
The_Goose
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
political correctness gone mad is when people say to you "ooh you can't order white coffee these days! It's coffee with milk now other wise you give the impression you prefer white things"

I dont prefer white things, I like my eyeliner black I like white coffee, but black leather. what are we supposed to say. leather with a dark colour.. urm...

THEY ARE JUST COLOURS

gahhhh
punktopia
Rep:
?
(Original post by Thud)
Bless.
Casserole
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think it's hilarious, last month on the train I heard an old couple talk about it, when they said the phrase I couldn't help but laugh...well, stifled, else people would charge me under the Terrorism Act or breaching the peace or whatever.

What's annoying is the overuse of people calling themselves "indigenous" or Welsh/Scottish/English instead of British, to distinguish themselves from naturalised immigrants or children of immigrants, who have since declared themselves proud of such a title.

It's like, "ewww, them coloured are using it, I have to do something else now".
Invocation
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Search for "political correctness" in Facebook, there must be 50+ anti-PC groups :rofl:
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I like political correctness to a degree... I don't think it's fair to flash the work ****** about and stuf like that. But saying that black and white coffee aren't PC is just too far
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
theres also one for 'if you dont like england ****k off back to were you came from' - i was gonna sign up and ask what if you were from england and hate it? but i didnt bother o nthe accoutn of being brown andbeing afraid of laods of abuse
Adélaïde
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by punktopia)
It's not just sexism - I've been accused of being "politcally correct" because I called someone racist who referred to a black man using the 'n' word.
I can see where you're coming from there.
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Nobody who says that sentence can be taken seriously, it just makes me laugh, even if it is true.
smalltownboy
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IYx4Bc6_eE

Listen to this. It is so true it hurts.
pretz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Thud)
Same, the look at me I'm an AnarchistStalinist teenage who knows everything thing has been done already, get a new gimmick Punktopia.
punktopia
Rep:
?
(Original post by pretz)
Same, the look at me I'm an AnarchistStalinist teenage who knows everything thing has been done already, get a new gimmick Punktopia.
Stalinist? Where on earth did you get that from? And I wish I was a teenager... I'm 23. Anyway, if you want to flame me, make a separate thread.
Angel83
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I remember saying that a tenant had 'mental problems' to another colleague, I usually wouldn't say that and especially not to the tenant but my colleague who had done a health degree goes 'you can't say that and its health issues' - as though she put me in my place. Yet when I needed to see the HR officer she goes 'its the black lady' :eek: One rule for one and one for another and I thought her comment was worse, I would rather have just asked to see the officer.
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Angel83)
I remember saying that a tenant had 'mental problems' to another colleague, I usually wouldn't say that and especially not to the tenant but my colleague who had done a health degree goes 'you can't say that and its health issues' - as though she put me in my place. Yet when I needed to see the HR officer she goes 'its the black lady' :eek: One rule for one and one for another and I thought her comment was worse, I would rather have just asked to see the officer.
Black people prefer to be called black people. haven't you ever read the "and yet you have the cheek to call me coloured?" poem?
Angel83
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by stryker101)
erm, is there something wrong with called someone black when describing them for someone to recognise? might be a bit uncomfortable actually if i did
People I know keep saying it is bad to say that!
The_Goose
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Dear White Fella
Couple thinks you should know -
When I born, I black
When I grow up, I black
When I go in sun, I black
When I cold, I black
When I scared, I black
When I sick, I black
And when I die - I still black

You White Fella,
When you born, you pink
When you grow up, you white
When you go in sun, you red
When you cold, you blue
When you scared, you yellow
When you sick, you green
And when you die - you grey.
And you have the cheek
to call me coloured?
silent
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Owl1867)
In fairness that female commentator on MOTD is crap
I agree. She's dreadful. She would be better suited for making the tea for the superior male commentators.
pretz
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by punktopia)
Stalinist? Where on earth did you get that from? And I wish I was a teenager... I'm 23. Anyway, if you want to flame me, make a separate thread.
Wow, that makes it even worse. Most grow out of their teenage Communist rebellion phase at 14.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (76)
27.54%
No (200)
72.46%

Watched Threads