Turn on thread page Beta

University textbooks watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    just wondering what people do with theirs? I tend to give most of mine away if I no longer need them. I know some people sell them but I'm not really interested in making a profit. I have a few that I need to offload at the minute and I've enquired about donating them to the university library. I think it would be quite good if they put a scheme in place whereby students could sell on their books to new students/or donate them to the library. It would mean more books for everyone. Maybe it exists in some universities, I don't know?

ReputationRep:
    what course do you do? Remember charity starts on TSR...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ed.)
    what course do you do? Remember charity starts on TSR...
    Law, the problem with Law is that the textbooks can become out of date practically as soon as they are printed as it is always changing. I mean an element of it stays the same and textbooks that are 2-3 years old will still be applicable on the whole but it's always best to have the latest edition e.t.c. I'm in my last year now and I've practically offloaded the best part of 20 books already so I'm afraid TSR has missed out.

ReputationRep:
    poor tsr.

Your idea of university donatation seems pretty sound. New students could then recevie books for free...

Yea my Uni provides students with the facility to sell books - the idea of donating did spring to my mind, but why donate them when you paid a fair bit for it??? (well I have for the books I got anyway)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angel_eyes00005)
    i know u do a difficult course etc. but if u have time in ur schedule. could u give a list of some good textbooks for particular topics, e.g. contract law, criminal justic system. i shall be starting law degree next year.

dont worry if u cant. understandable.
    Smith and Hogan Criminal Law is probably one of the best Criminal Law textbooks, the 'Unlocking' series of Law textbooks is good as well, I've used Unlocking Land Law, Unlocking Criminal Law and Unlocking European Law. they only cost 20 quid each and they have good information and are easy to understand. Lecturers frown upon their use but the Nutshells and Nutcases series of books are good as a general guide, they are about 7 quid each and cover the main principles and cases, they basically summarise everything for you. When you start your degree, you will receive reading lists for each of the modules that you do, and the lecturers will point out the recommended textbooks to you; I will imagine they will be pretty much the same up and down the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DancinBallerina)
    Yea my Uni provides students with the facility to sell books - the idea of donating did spring to my mind, but why donate them when you paid a fair bit for it??? (well I have for the books I got anyway)
    I'm not much of a salesman to be honest with you and most of the books that I have given away, have been to friends so I don't mind them having them for free. It's better than gathering dust on my bookshelf. For a time, it made my bookshelf look impressive and made me look very intellectual with a huge variety of Law books sat there but I've gotten over my ego. Besides, no one ever comes in my room anyway :rolleyes:

A few weeks ago someone who did module X emailed the tutor advertising the recommended text for sale to this years batch of 2nd year students who would be taking the module and the tutor sent an email out to all students advertising this book, and then about 6 or 7 people came out of the woodwork and started emailing him their advertisments as well. It was pretty funny, I sent him an email asking him could he advertise a top of the range Flymo lawn mower I had for sale but he never replied.

(Original post by britishseapower)
    I'm not much of a salesman to be honest with you and most of the books that I have given away, have been to friends so I don't mind them having them for free. It's better than gathering dust on my bookshelf. For a time, it made my bookshelf look impressive and made me look very intellectual with a huge variety of Law books sat there but I've gotten over my ego. Besides, no one ever comes in my room anyway :rolleyes:

A few weeks ago someone who did module X emailed the tutor advertising the recommended text for sale to this years batch of 2nd year students who would be taking the module and the tutor sent an email out to all students advertising this book, and then about 6 or 7 people came out of the woodwork and started emailing him their advertisments as well. It was pretty funny, I sent him an email asking him could he advertise a top of the range Flymo lawn mower I had for sale but he never replied.
    LOL LOL LOL

LoL I still wouldn't give a book away for nothing even to a friend lol I just think of it like, I have saved hard for Uni most of the money for books and etc - just don't see why I should just give it away for free - I have sold books before - never asked for the full asking price, but I get a reasonable amount back for the quality of the book or how ''new'' it still looks.

ReputationRep:
    Our department has an online listing facility, but not many people use it. Some people sell books through eBay or to the next bunch of students, while some people just keep the books. Personally, I keep most of my books for future reference (especially since I'm normally quite picky with the books I buy). However, I have given one of my books to a friend this year because one of her modules is based around the book and since I wasn't needing it this year I didn't see the point in her buying a copy herself.

ReputationRep:
    I took mine in to Heffers, and got a fair amount for them (something like 50% of RRP, I think, but it was a while ago, so that might be wrong). They made it very easy to offload them - I wasn't interested in the hassle of trying to sell them to individuals, even if I might have got slightly more.

ReputationRep:
    I handed them into the library the other day, they were really grateful for them. Yeah I buy some of my books from Blackwells and they have a second hand scheme were you can sell back your books, providing their pretty recent and in good condition e.t.c.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I don't really know what to do with mine. Probably stick them back on Amazon or something, I need the money! I haven't even used half of them

ReputationRep:
    I would sell them. Damn things can cost 50 squid each.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 14, 2008
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.