Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Firstly, I would like to say that today's paper was OK. The predictions which I had made and many other made in this group, were right. I thought Bowlby was going to come up however, it was all about Cultural Variations.

It is important that you revise the rest of the topics, however, these are the ones which haven't and I feel like Psychopathology is going to be really hard. Because the group chat looks positive and people have been saying that they think it was easy, it does look like the grade boundaries will be going up and especially we are the third year taking this spec, they will be increasing the boundaries in comparison to last years ok boundaries.

So here are my predictions, do revise everything else:

SECTION A- Approaches

Origins of psychology
    Behaviourism-
    Cognitive - Highly likely for 12 marker
    Biological approach- Highly likely for 12 marker
    Neurons and synaptic transmission
    Nervous system inc endocrine

SECTION B- Psychopathology

Phobias- Explanation (likely 12 marker)/treatment all methods
    Depression- Explanation/Treatment all methods
    OCD - Explanation/Treatment all methods (likely 12 marker)
    Social learning theory
    Abnormality

SECTION C:

Control of variables
    Experimental design
    Types of experiment
    Sampling
    Pilot studies
    Observations
    Self-report
    Correlations
    Maths sign test

Do revise everything as we know that topics will be repeated again from 12 markers to a 3/4 marker. RM was heavy on Memory today, so they can do the same on paper 2 and there was only one 12 marker which means expect two 12 markers and one 8 markers.

Add whatever you want and good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Here are grade boundaries for the previous 2 years, thought i might add here just for reference.

It looks like the grade boundaries will be higher this year.
    I'm guessing it will be around 70–75% for an A (so thats 50–55 marks out of 75).
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 18.00.34.png
Views: 28
Size:  84.2 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsSoHard)
    Here are grade boundaries for the previous 2 years, thought i might add here just for reference.

It looks like the grade boundaries will be higher this year.
    I'm guessing it will be around 70–75% for an A (so thats 50–55 marks out of 75).
    Name:  Screen Shot 2018-05-14 at 18.00.34.png
Views: 28
Size:  84.2 KB
    Hopefully, the grade boundaries are like 2017 papers.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    this is so helpful,ty. Is this just based on what hasnt come up yet then?

ReputationRep:
    what do u think the 12 and 8 markers will be on??

ReputationRep:
    hi guys here is my predictions hope they help

Approaches

Origins of psychology: Wundt, introspection and the emergence of psychology as a science:

Probably a 4 marker on Wundt on introspection as there have not been questions on such it may ask you to identify why it is criticisms e.g not scientific

Learning approaches: the behaviourist approach, including classical conditioning and Pavlov’s research, operant conditioning, types of reinforcement and Skinner’s research; social learning theory including imitation, identification, modelling, vicarious reinforcement, the role of mediational processes and Bandura’s research:

there could be a 8 marker on the behaviourist approach as before there have only been indirect 4 markers. I doubt SLT as it was a 6 and 12 markers

The cognitive approach: the study of internal mental processes, the role of schema, the use of theoretical and computer models to explain and make inferences about mental processes. The emergence of cognitive neuroscience:

perhaps a 12 marker as there has never been one set on it. reference to neuroscience has come up as a 1 marker tick box it may be more marks ect.

The biological approach: the influence of genes, biological structures and neurochemistry on behaviour. Genotype and phenotype, genetic basis of behaviour, evolution and behaviour:

biological approach has been broken up in the past I think it is possible as a 12 marker. or it may be directed at evolution and behaviour as this hasn’t come up yet may be a 4 marker explaining it- could also be apply it question

The divisions of the nervous system: central and peripheral (somatic and autonomic):

there have been subtle questions on such there may be more e.g what are is the NS split up into 6 marks easily describing the somatic and autonomic it could also be in the form of an apply it question 4 marks

The structure and function of sensory, relay and motor neurons. The process of synaptic transmission, including reference to neurotransmitters, excitation and inhibition:

may be describe a specific neuron and it function etc. 2-3 marks or label a diagram. excitation and inhibition have come up so I doubt it. May be the process of transmission

The function of the endocrine system: glands and hormones:

not one set specifically could be explain how the ES works

The fight or flight response including the role of adrenaline:

I doubt this will come up it already has maybe tick box

Psychopathology

Definitions of abnormality, including deviation from social norms, failure to function adequately, statistical infrequency and deviation from ideal mental health:

Has come up before as an 8 marker 2 definitions, this time it might be specific like what does FFA define abnormality as or what is the strengths or weaknesses of such definitions alone or as a whole possible 4/6 marks

The behavioural, emotional and cognitive characteristics of phobias, depression and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD):

there have been many on OCD and phobias I’m guessing depression characteristics and treatments 6 marks or an apply it question easily 4 marks

The behavioural approach to explaining and treating phobias: the two-process model, including classical and operant conditioning; systematic desensitisation, including relaxation and use of hierarchy; flooding:

Flooding and SD have come up before I doubt they would come up again. May be the two process model what it is 3 marks or may be CC or OC

The cognitive approach to explaining and treating depression: Beck’s negative triad and Ellis’s ABC model; cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), including challenging irrational thoughts:

CBT has come up as a four marker I think is will be on the ABC model explaining depression 4 marks or becks theory 4 marks outlining

The biological approach to explaining and treating OCD: genetic and neural explanations; drug therapy:

genetic and neural has come up as a 12 marker so doubt it may be tick box or 2 marker on evaluative statements etc.

Research methods

Aims: stating aims, the difference between aims and hypotheses.

• Hypotheses: directional and non-directional.- they have asked this question many times doubt it will ask u to write one

• Sampling: the difference between population and sample; sampling techniques including: random, systematic, stratified, opportunity and volunteer; implications of sampling techniques, including bias and generalisation.- may be systematic sampling and the disadvantage as they have done stratified and touched upon volunteer could be opportunity

• Pilot studies and the aims of piloting.- may be 2 marker on what is it but they have asked before

• Experimental designs: repeated measures, independent groups, matched pairs.- might give u a stem u have to say which one used then advantage or disadvantage they have done matched pairs before so doubt that one

• Observational design: behavioural categories; event sampling; time sampling.- not asked about such may ask what is behavioural categories as paper one had event sampling in it

• Questionnaire construction, including use of open and closed questions; design of interviews.- this was in paper one so doubt they have also on strength of questionnaire so I doubt it will come as a whole

• Variables: manipulation and control of variables, including independent, dependent, extraneous, confounding; operationalisation of variables.- extraneous variables has come up before as a 3 marker identifying effect on study may ask u to define what is operationalisation and then ask you to operationalise it in a study. Confounding could come up

• Control: random allocation and counterbalancing, randomisation and standardisation- asked about RA and counter balancing so may what is standardisation and randomisation

• Demand characteristics and investigator effects- DC already asked may be what is investigator effect or how could this occur in a study

• Ethics, including the role of the British Psychological Society’s code of ethics; ethical issues in the design and conduct of psychological studies; dealing with ethical issues in research.- could be a 8 marker on this where u identify and say how you deal with as there has not been a direct one on it- or even apply it to a study

• The role of peer review in the scientific process- come up in paper one so I doubt it will come up again

• The implications of psychological research for the economy-I think this will definitely come up on either section as it hasn’t yet most likely on approaches as it has come up on psychopathology

3.2.3.2 Data handling and analysis

• Quantitative and qualitative data; the distinction between qualitative and quantitative data collection techniques- has come up before so doubt and was in paper 1

• Primary and secondary data, including meta-analysis.- there has never been one on what is meta-analysis so could be a potential 3 marker. but has been one on primary and secondary so doubt it

• Descriptive statistics: measures of central tendency – mean, median, mode; calculation of mean, median and mode; measures of dispersion; range and standard deviation; calculation of range; calculation of percentages; positive, negative and zero correlations.- has been on mean so doubt and on % may be identifying correlation and the weakness of correlation i.e. can’t show cause and effect

• Presentation and display of quantitative data: graphs, tables, scatter grams, bar charts.-done bar chart so maybe as a graph 4 marks using a study or data given or even scatter gram- identify what it show or something along those lines

• Distributions: normal and skewed distributions; characteristics of normal and skewed distributions.- yes I think there will be a question identifying what type skew it is and saying what it means e.g about a test

• Introduction to statistical testing; the sign test.- never come up I definitely think it will as easier 4 marker

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by I AM GROOT 1)

Approaches

Origins of psychology: Wundt, introspection and the emergence of psychology as a science:

Probably a 4 marker on Wundt on introspection as there have not been questions on such it may ask you to identify why it is criticisms e.g not scientific

Learning approaches: the behaviourist approach, including classical conditioning and Pavlov’s research, operant conditioning, types of reinforcement and Skinner’s research; social learning theory including imitation, identification, modelling, vicarious reinforcement, the role of mediational processes and Bandura’s research:

there could be a 8 marker on the behaviourist approach as before there have only been indirect 4 markers. I doubt SLT as it was a 6 and 12 markers

The cognitive approach: the study of internal mental processes, the role of schema, the use of theoretical and computer models to explain and make inferences about mental processes. The emergence of cognitive neuroscience:

perhaps a 12 marker as there has never been one set on it. reference to neuroscience has come up as a 1 marker tick box it may be more marks ect.

The biological approach: the influence of genes, biological structures and neurochemistry on behaviour. Genotype and phenotype, genetic basis of behaviour, evolution and behaviour:

biological approach has been broken up in the past I think it is possible as a 12 marker. or it may be directed at evolution and behaviour as this hasn’t come up yet may be a 4 marker explaining it- could also be apply it question

The divisions of the nervous system: central and peripheral (somatic and autonomic):

there have been subtle questions on such there may be more e.g what are is the NS split up into 6 marks easily describing the somatic and autonomic it could also be in the form of an apply it question 4 marks

The structure and function of sensory, relay and motor neurons. The process of synaptic transmission, including reference to neurotransmitters, excitation and inhibition:

may be describe a specific neuron and it function etc. 2-3 marks or label a diagram. excitation and inhibition have come up so I doubt it. May be the process of transmission

Psychopathology

Definitions of abnormality, including deviation from social norms, failure to function adequately, statistical infrequency and deviation from ideal mental health:

Has come up before as an 8 marker 2 definitions, this time it might be specific like what does FFA define abnormality as or what is the strengths or weaknesses of such definitions alone or as a whole possible 4/6 marks

The behavioural, emotional and cognitive characteristics of phobias, depression and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD):

there have been many on OCD and phobias I’m guessing depression characteristics and treatments 6 marks or an apply it question easily 4 marks

The behavioural approach to explaining and treating phobias: the two-process model, including classical and operant conditioning; systematic desensitisation, including relaxation and use of hierarchy; flooding:

Flooding and SD have come up before I doubt they would come up again. May be the two process model what it is 3 marks or may be CC or OC

The cognitive approach to explaining and treating depression: Beck’s negative triad and Ellis’s ABC model; cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT), including challenging irrational thoughts:

CBT has come up as a four marker I think is will be on the ABC model explaining depression 4 marks or becks theory 4 marks outlining

The biological approach to explaining and treating OCD: genetic and neural explanations; drug therapy:

genetic and neural has come up as a 12 marker so doubt it may be tick box or 2 marker on evaluative statements etc.

Research methods

• Hypotheses: directional and non-directional.- they have asked this question many times doubt it will ask u to write one

• Sampling: the difference between population and sample; sampling techniques including: random, systematic, stratified, opportunity and volunteer; implications of sampling techniques, including bias and generalisation.- may be systematic sampling and the disadvantage as they have done stratified and touched upon volunteer could be opportunity

• Pilot studies and the aims of piloting.- may be 2 marker on what is it but they have asked before

• Experimental designs: repeated measures, independent groups, matched pairs.- might give u a stem u have to say which one used then advantage or disadvantage they have done matched pairs before so doubt that one

• Observational design: behavioural categories; event sampling; time sampling.- not asked about such may ask what is behavioural categories as paper one had event sampling in it

• Questionnaire construction, including use of open and closed questions; design of interviews.- this was in paper one so doubt they have also on strength of questionnaire so I doubt it will come as a whole

• Variables: manipulation and control of variables, including independent, dependent, extraneous, confounding; operationalisation of variables.- extraneous variables has come up before as a 3 marker identifying effect on study may ask u to define what is operationalisation and then ask you to operationalise it in a study. Confounding could come up

• Control: random allocation and counterbalancing, randomisation and standardisation- asked about RA and counter balancing so may what is standardisation and randomisation

• Demand characteristics and investigator effects- DC already asked may be what is investigator effect or how could this occur in a study

• Ethics, including the role of the British Psychological Society’s code of ethics; ethical issues in the design and conduct of psychological studies; dealing with ethical issues in research.- could be a 8 marker on this where u identify and say how you deal with as there has not been a direct one on it- or even apply it to a study

• The role of peer review in the scientific process- come up in paper one so I doubt it will come up again

• The implications of psychological research for the economy-I think this will definitely come up on either section as it hasn’t yet most likely on approaches as it has come up on psychopathology

• Quantitative and qualitative data; the distinction between qualitative and quantitative data collection techniques- has come up before so doubt and was in paper 1

• Primary and secondary data, including meta-analysis.- there has never been one on what is meta-analysis so could be a potential 3 marker. but has been one on primary and secondary so doubt it

• Descriptive statistics: measures of central tendency – mean, median, mode; calculation of mean, median and mode; measures of dispersion; range and standard deviation; calculation of range; calculation of percentages; positive, negative and zero correlations.- has been on mean so doubt and on % may be identifying correlation and the weakness of correlation i.e. can’t show cause and effect

• Presentation and display of quantitative data: graphs, tables, scatter grams, bar charts.-done bar chart so maybe as a graph 4 marks using a study or data given or even scatter gram- identify what it show or something along those lines

• Distributions: normal and skewed distributions; characteristics of normal and skewed distributions.- yes I think there will be a question identifying what type skew it is and saying what it means e.g about a test

• Introduction to statistical testing; the sign test.- never come up I definitely think it will as easier 4 marker
    Thank you so much! Your predictions are so useful and I really appreciate the time you've spent on making these predictions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosita.zadeh)
    [spoiler]

Thank you so much! Your predictions are so useful and I really appreciate the time you've spent on making these predictions.
    thank you that is so kind
    and it is no problem when people aks politely i have to it my nature as a person
    good luck for u exam
    good luck to everyone

ReputationRep:
    and it is no problem when people aks politely i have to it my nature as a person
    good luck for u exam
    good luck to everyone
    Thank you again! Good luck with the psychology exam and your other exams!

ReputationRep:
    Hi, guys. I've just opened a thread for the AS, Paper 1. It is the actual paper we did. VERIFIED! Click here!

ReputationRep:
    good luck for u exam
    good luck to everyone
    Hi, click here to see the official AS PAPER 1! Verified

ReputationRep:

Approaches

Psychopathology

Research methods

Not being funny but you’ve pretty much quoted the whole spec... how am I supposed to learn all of this in less than 24 hours????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhatAUsername)
    Not being funny but you’ve pretty much quoted the whole spec... how am I supposed to learn all of this in less than 24 hours????
    i have listed the spec and put things that haven't come up
    can u like stop being fussy this took f**** ages
    not my problem

ReputationRep:
    i have listed the spec and put things that haven't come up
    can u like stop being fussy this took f**** ages
    not my problem
    Hey, how was you history exam?

I had mine today (Stuarts), i found the questions better than expected tbh, but i just wish i revised a bit more. Hopefully, I get more marks on the other paper!

Now I'm going to just bang out revising Psychology for Paper 2 tomorrow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LifeIsSoHard)
    Hey, how was you history exam?

I had mine today (Stuarts), i found the questions better than expected tbh, but i just wish i revised a bit more. Hopefully, I get more marks on the other paper!

Now I'm going to just bang out revising Psychology for Paper 2 tomorrow!
    oh thanks for asking sooo kind of u
    it was better than i expected not gona lie but i had done one of the questions before and the other one a similar question and i guesssed the last section (predicted it) and i was right so thumbs up hopefully A/B
    wbu wat u wanna get grade wise
    good luck for tomorrow i got 2 exams

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Capture.PNG6.PNG
Views: 24
Size:  28.5 KBsign test might not come up found this in specimen paper 3

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Capture.PNG7.PNG
Views: 15
Size:  11.9 KB

ReputationRep:
    Name:  Capture.PNG6.PNG
Views: 24
Size:  28.5 KBsign test might not come up found this in specimen paper 3
    its in specimen 3, like it wasn't official an exam paper - it might come up this year tho

ReputationRep:
    yes perhaps as they didnt ask all of it
    they did behaviourist approach as 12 marker

(Original post by dina.yasmin)
    its in specimen 3, like it wasn't official an exam paper - it might come up this year tho

ReputationRep:
    yes perhaps as they didnt ask all of it
    they did behaviourist approach as 12 marker
    Hi, your predictions were lit btw Do u think behaviourist approach 12 marker will come up tomorrow?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 14, 2018

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.