?
Report 10 years ago
I cringe at the 'be like kids from skins' idea. Argh. :p:
bete noire
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i think people had house parties and stuff before skins, that might just be a rumour though...probably just a rumour
GodspeedGehenna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Sithius)
I cringe at the 'be like kids from skins' idea. Argh. :p:
Haha.. I kind of imagine them all thinking that to themselves, but they don't say it to each other, because then they'd all be aware that they are actually TRYING to do so as opposed to just naturally being like that; Like some sort of unwritten law. lmao.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by i am a duck)
i think people had house parties and stuff before skins, that might just be a rumour though...probably just a rumour
No, it's actually true :p:

I think you're both going to have to agree to disagree on why people post facebook pictures. Different people do it for different reasons, anyway.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
I agree, but still, its fun for nerdy outsiders like myself to poke fun and laugh at the "coolies" from the sanctuary of our bedrooms.
Hehe
Bramble
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't know if this has already been said as I didn't throughly read through the whole thread (it is 5/6 pages long), but I wonder what it must have been like to be at university back in the days of no facebook, internet & mobiles? Particularly the internet. Now it's so easy to just read someone elses work on the internet, decide you like their idea and re-word it so it's your own idea. Back then literally everyone would have got every single source from books or their own brain. Also think of how much time would have been saved from us trawling sites like tsr!
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by hellosailor)
I don't know if this has already been said as I didn't throughly read through the whole thread (it is 5/6 pages long), but I wonder what it must have been like to be at university back in the days of no facebook, internet & mobiles? Particularly the internet. Now it's so easy to just read someone elses work on the internet, decide you like their idea and re-word it so it's your own idea. Back then literally everyone would have got every single source from books or their own brain. Also think of how much time would have been saved from us trawling sites like tsr!
Yes. I think I was a lot more productive in primary school lol!
Sharkface
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Check out the sociologist Goffman. According to him the social world equates to that of theatre. We are all essentially social actors, maintaining an impression mangement between the front stages and back stages of our lives.

It's really quite amazing how applicable the theory is, go to any club or pub on a Saturday night and you will see what he was talking about. Be warned though, once you read some Goffman, social interaction is never quite the same.
bete noire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
shane
FM08
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I agree with the OP. Life now is about following the crowd and being a man. I am obviously not cool enough for this lifestyle of being the cool guy. It's all about going to parties and making your presence known and making all the girls love you. Why is it like this? argh such a false life/false people.
Sharkface
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Charles
bete noire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
sup!
Liberty00
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Hey, I think the demographic of this discussion, apart from 'i am a duck' pretty much explains why this conversation is being held. People on TSR are 'generally' a bit brighter, a bit more ambitious academically and will therefore be more reflective/analytic of the social scene - therefore a bit more sceptic and a bit less involved - in a lot of cases.

As to feeling if a social scene is false, I'm not currently at Uni so cant comment there yet but any area/group/s have people that like doing the same things and it is just finding those people with similar interests that will allow you to feel at home i.e not fake. The reason some people see getting smashed in a bar as fake is that there are some people that do it because they think they should. Those people I do not understand nor sympathise with.

It may also be that drinking heavily is not your thing but it is for some people and going out and getting battered IS a lot of people's idea of a great night out.

Personally, I stay in with a film some weekends, go and see family, chill down a quiet pub, go out after a few drinks or... go and get smashed but whenever I do it, I do it because I know thats what I want to do and I'm going to be with people that want to do the same thing.

Do your own thing, leave people to do theirs, if you feel that someone is just following the crowd getting drunk and you think that inside their actually just like you, then you probably wouldnt like them anyway as they dont have the balls to be themselves.

Live and let live. innit.
fat_hobbit
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by naivesincerity)
It seems too intense here socially. Does anyone else feel the animation is a bit intense and contrived, and want more relaxed company? It just seems like people push themselves too hard and expect too much socially. It just seems like the amount of energy and tension that goes into it is unnatural.
Definently man.

Unfortunantly, when you are living away from home, you just have to make an effort and integrate, otherwise you'll end up lonely at university.

In additon, when I was away from home, I did find that people did judge you a lot on who you hanged out with, what you do etc. It is like school, where everything is a popularity contest, and in order to start hanging around with the good looking girls, (or for that matter to get anywhere with them) - unless you are also very good looking yourself, you'll otherwise need to show them that you are the man around town.

It is all very very fickle. But that is just the way things were.

Saying the above, when you leave your social network e.g. university. You will then find that it disintegrates quickly, and was in reality all very false. If anything, that is where you realise who your true friends were.
bete noire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Liberty00)
Hey, I think the demographic of this discussion, apart from 'i am a duck' pretty much explains why this conversation is being held. People on TSR are 'generally' a bit brighter, a bit more ambitious academically and will therefore be more reflective/analytic of the social scene.
What are you trying to say?
FM08
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
that you're a duck
bete noire
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
:P

Nah, if the guy is trying to insinuate that the only reason I don't think all social situations are "false" is because I'm less academically capable, not as 'bright', reflective/analytic or because I don't question things then I think he's wrong and that's an unfair assumption to make.
Liberty00
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Read that through and realised it appeared to infer that I thought that you were unintelligent.

Basically I was agreeing with you and criticising everyone else.

Much Better....
jumpinglunch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Some of it is false,depends on the people.
evil groove
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Liberty00)
Read that through and realised it appeared to infer that I thought that you were unintelligent.

Basically I was agreeing with you and criticising everyone else.

Much Better....
Seems you cannot express yourself coherently. Perhaps you should place yourself in the less academically able group, regardless of your social habits :teeth:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (64)
29.63%
No - I got the required grades (123)
56.94%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (29)
13.43%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise