The Student Room Group

Economic Duress in Contract.

Im a bit confused on how economic duress cancels out consideration. Can they exist at the same time in contract law?

For example: if a business had agreed to supply apples to a supermarket for a certain amount of money , but there was floods outside of the factory and they could not deliver the apples for a day, which meant there was a backlog of stock. The business demands extra money from the super market to get more staff for the back log and more money for distribution ( because they had under-valued the contract) and the super market had to say yes because they were suffering a major loss by not having the apples for a few weeks.

How would consideration and economic duress be applied to this?
Have you read Williams v Roffey?
Yes, I'm just a bit stuck on how to actually write the questions as I know in Williams v Roffey bros that consideration for a pre-existing contractual relationship will not exist if there is economic duress. I was just wondering how to actually write that in a clear way and how to transition into the economic duress part of the question!

Original post by Forum User
Have you read Williams v Roffey?
Reply 3
Original post by elizabethread
Im a bit confused on how economic duress cancels out consideration. Can they exist at the same time in contract law?

For example: if a business had agreed to supply apples to a supermarket for a certain amount of money , but there was floods outside of the factory and they could not deliver the apples for a day, which meant there was a backlog of stock. The business demands extra money from the super market to get more staff for the back log and more money for distribution ( because they had under-valued the contract) and the super market had to say yes because they were suffering a major loss by not having the apples for a few weeks.

How would consideration and economic duress be applied to this?

Hi, I’m trying to answer a similar scenario question to the one written above and I was wondering how you managed to approach the question. Any help would be appreciated. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending