How can sensible savers protect themselves from the welfare system?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I saw some good savers in another thread but are they aware that savings for a deposit on a house or further education are at risk if they were to become unemployed.
They will be expected to pay for everything from those savings.

It doesn't seem right that people being responsible should be denied the opportunity to own a house because of bad luck while the feckless may have spent all their money on expensive holidays and other frivolities then have the state pay rent,food and anything else.

Are there any schemes that allow the public to protect their house or education deposits?
ma_long
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Just live off investments, don't go to the dole centre, they are useless either way. What kind of place benefits from you NOT getting a job.....the dole centre. I agree 100% with what you said OP, I have a high level of investments and savings for my age and it would pain me to give it to the chavs to blow on cheap holidays to spain, faags and booze.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 4 years ago
Well, if you've got £20k in the bank, why do you "need" help from the government? The welfare state is for people who need it. Not for people wanting to save for a house.
ma_long
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
Well, if you've got £20k in the bank, why do you "need" help from the government? The welfare state is for people who need it. Not for people wanting to save for a house.
OP is saying, why are people getting things for free when he has saved up money while they have spent it all. Getting 20k in the bank is not easy, it requires a lot of saving discipline and/or investment knowledge.
Tiger Rag
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ma_long)
OP is saying, why are people getting things for free when he has saved up money while they have spent it all. Getting 20k in the bank is not easy, it requires a lot of saving discipline and/or investment knowledge.
Because they need it and he doesn't? It's not unreasonable to expect him to live off the savings he has.
ma_long
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The UK is a welfare state where the chavs rule and the rich pay, anyone with half an education should leave personally. I recommend somewhere like the United States, where it pays to work hard. Chavs are scum.
ma_long
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Because they need it and he doesn't? It's not unreasonable to expect him to live off the savings he has.
Then why should OP save, why shouldn't OP just become a chav?
Tiger Rag
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Then why should OP save, why shouldn't OP just become a chav?
He isn't forced to save.

The upper savings limit is actually pretty generous.
ma_long
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
He isn't forced to save.

The upper savings limit is actually pretty generous.
Then you are promoting the welfare state.
Drewski
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
Then you are promoting the welfare state.
The US has welfare too.
ma_long
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The welfare state should not be a way of life, it should be a safety net.
ma_long
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Drewski)
The US has welfare too.
Yes, but it shouldn't be a way of life, where generation after generation live off benefits. How does that help society in any way?
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I saw some good savers in another thread but are they aware that savings for a deposit on a house or further education are at risk if they were to become unemployed.
They will be expected to pay for everything from those savings.

It doesn't seem right that people being responsible should be denied the opportunity to own a house because of bad luck while the feckless may have spent all their money on expensive holidays and other frivolities then have the state pay rent,food and anything else.

Are there any schemes that allow the public to protect their house or education deposits?
If you have contributed enough national insurance, then you can claim irrespective of savings.

Eventually it becomes means tested. At that stage your savings would eb taken into account and beyond a certain amount you would become ineligible.

Why do you think you are being denied the opportunity to anything? Just dont apply for a benefit you do not need? How hard is that?
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
The UK is a welfare state where the chavs rule and the rich pay, anyone with half an education should leave personally. I recommend somewhere like the United States, where it pays to work hard. Chavs are scum.
How exactly do the Chavs rule?
What is your definition of Chav? Anyone who accesses the welfare state?
Arent students some of the biggest beneficiaries?
Do you use the welfare state?
ma_long
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
How exactly do the Chavs rule?
What is your definition of Chav? Anyone who accesses the welfare state?
Arent students some of the biggest beneficiaries?
Do you use the welfare state?
It has become acceptable that being a chav is ok.

Chav- council housed and violent, antisocial and with no respect for society

No, I don't claim benefits and I don't intend to
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
It has become acceptable that being a chav is ok.

Chav- council housed and violent, antisocial and with no respect for society

No, I don't claim benefits and I don't intend to
So all chavs fit that definition and by default all people who access the welfare state are chavs?

Are you privately educated?
Are you a UK student?
Is your medical treatment all private?
How do chavs rule the UK?
ma_long
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
So all chavs fit that definition and by default all people who access the welfare state are chavs?

Are you privately educated?
Are you a UK student?
Is your medical treatment all private?
How do chavs rule the UK?
I'm not privately educated, I am well educated and I work hard, I also save hard and invest well. I make my own millions, I'm not dependent on handouts. Chavs rule the UK because they are rewarded for doing nothing. My family has close to £1 million in investments and we have all held normal jobs. Have you ever heard of the american dream? Where if you work hard, you can achieve anything?
999tigger
Report 4 years ago
I'm not privately educated, I am well educated and I work hard, I also save hard and invest well. I make my own millions, I'm not dependent on handouts. Chavs rule the UK because they are rewarded for doing nothing. My family has close to £1 million in investments and we have all held normal jobs. Have you ever heard of the american dream? Where if you work hard, you can achieve anything?

So you used the state education system and you use the NHS?
Chavs dont rule the UK as they have no power or influence.
You come across as a very hateful , ignorant person.
Are you American?
Tiger Rag
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
The welfare state should not be a way of life, it should be a safety net.
If it's a safety net, then please tell me, why should people like the OP who want to save for a house deposit, get help when they clearly don't need it?
ma_long
Rep:
Report 4 years ago
So you used the state education system and you use the NHS?
Chavs dont rule the UK as they have no power or influence.
You come across as a very hateful , ignorant person.
Are you American?
So I am hateful and ignorant because I don't agree with your left wing policies? Are you a member of the labour party, it sure sounds like it?

No I am not american.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads