The Student Room Group

OCR MEI AS MATHS NEW SPEC PURE AND MECHANICS H630/1 - 16th May 2018

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chloet5827
Okay so first of all I didn’t have a clue with that boat question and I didn’t get an answer or even 1 mark so ur not alone 😂😂 and yeah that curve question ur right I kept getting -2 as the y intercept when it’s minus 4 but then I did something and ended up getting 3/2 as the area but I don’t think that’s right. The exam was sooo difficult I swear it was nothing like past papers and literally every question was impossible apart from the first 3. And yeah for 3 i did f1 + f2 = f3 and just figured out what a and b was using just general equation rules I think it was something like a = -4 and b= 12 is what I got. I got none of the mechanics right and I could hardly attempt any of them, that test was impossible

Did you do the pulley question. Acceleration was like 1/10 m g something. And then the tension was in mg form.
Original post by lionike123
Did you do the pulley question. Acceleration was like 1/10 m g something. And then the tension was in mg form.

Honestly no. I couldn’t do any of it I’m so annoyed I’ve been getting A’s and B’s all year, I revised loads and then because of such a horrific paper I’m not going to do very well. I couldn’t do any of the mechanics and I honestly don’t know how anyone did it was sooo difficult
I didn’t get any of question 11 literally none of it. For C1 I did the whole differentiating thing and got the gradient but then got stuck lol

This exam was pure disgusting. I heard that for OCR A they had some easy pure and stats paper. Why did my school pick OCR MEI. They are not going to lower the grade boundaries because only private schools do OCR MEI with smart people. This Exam was terrible. At least we know what is going to come up in the pure section of the pure and stats paper. It is going to be Trigonometry, Vectors, Coordinate Geometry, Diffentiation max/min/stationary points or some practical differentiation question like volume of a cone filled with water, exponentials e.g compound interest and Completing the square in content e.g. modelling. Statistics is probably going to be some complicated probability distribution question where everything has to add up to 1, hypothesis testing, histogram, standard deviation, Weak/Positive correlation question and some super hard probability question.
Honestly no. I couldn’t do any of it I’m so annoyed I’ve been getting A’s and B’s all year, I revised loads and then because of such a horrific paper I’m not going to do very well. I couldn’t do any of the mechanics and I honestly don’t know how anyone did it was sooo difficult

I dont even think i got 30 marks in that paper. I got As all year and that paper was just terrible nothing i expected. But the ****ing private school kids and further maths students that do ocr mei will increase the grade boundaries.
I dont even think i got 30 marks in that paper. I got As all year and that paper was just terrible nothing i expected. But the ****ing private school kids and further maths students that do ocr mei will increase the grade boundaries.

I’m actually so annoyed that was the worst paper ever and I don’t even think I got 20 marks and everyone else will have done so much better so the grade boundaries aren’t even going to be that low
The timing in that paper was atrotious. Found out it was 2(x-1)(x+2) for the equation of the curve.
The timing in that paper was atrotious. Found out it was 2(x-1)(x+2) for the equation of the curve.

I put (2x+2)(x-1)

What would the area be then would it be 3/2 :smile:
Reply 28
Hey, did anyone else find the paper a piece of cake?
No the Finite Region of the curve is -3.5 then but since area cannot be negative it is 3.5.
Reply 30
This is the official discussion page. First of all lets talk predicted topics.

Hey, did anyone else find the paper a piece of cake?
I put (2x+2)(x-1)

Dont worry i think like 70 percent of the whole country did not know how to get the equation of the curve. It would be better if they told us the form of the curve.
Original post by Kingof42ndStreet
The correct answer was 9 circa my calculator. I got the equation but messed up the final calculation and got 7+2/3.

No the area was 3.5 i asked my teacher. Did you forget to add brackets around your negative -1.
No the area was 3.5 i asked my teacher. Did you forget to add brackets around your negative -1.

I have no clue to be honest the paper was so bad
I have no clue to be honest the paper was so bad

Bad news. Did you forgot about further math students. They probably aced the exam and that will make the exam so unfair for grade boundaries. Honestly, they should have made as maths and further maths completely different. Like make Further Maths worth 2 a levels and make sure if they do further maths then they cant do maths.
Bad news. Did you forgot about further math students. They probably aced the exam and that will make the exam so unfair for grade boundaries. Honestly, they should have made as maths and further maths completely different. Like make Further Maths worth 2 a levels and make sure if they do further maths then they cant do maths.

This is so messed up
Ah I ****ed the curve question up - I needed to find the area both under the x-axis and above. Still should get 5 or 6 for method.
If y'all didn't get 9 for the integration question for area under the curve, idk wagwan fi your headpiece.
Hi just wanted to say that I take further maths but I found this exam horrific and so many other people who I know ( who do FM) did too!! I think i got maybe 60% on this paper, compared to about 85% in further maths it was SO hard, so I wouldn't be concerned about further maths students pushing the grade boundaries up! ( after all if the people doing further maths weren't doing it, they'd still be doing maths anyway!) + Further maths content is completely different, the only overlapping content is vectors, it didn't help me at all in this paper unfortunately!

Spoiler

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending