A level geography help!!! Watch

ferlin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
Can anyone explain the difference between plate tectonics theory and the ridge push/slab pull theory? I don't get how the last one is a different theory and not just an explanation of the theory..?!
Thanks so much in advance!
Sycaphore
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Plate tectonics theory is when convection currents driven by heat from the mantle re raised up into the asthenosphere and then is pulled along the underside of the plate and then sinks again. At constructive plate boundaries, the currents pull the plates apart (divergence). At destructive plate boundaries, the currents pull the plates towards each other (convergence). One major flaw in the theory is that the forces Wegener stated were needed to move the plates are wholly insufficient.

Ridge push is when magma that is extruded through a gap in the plates heats the rocks around it. These rise up, and then when they have solidified and cooled into rocks, gravity acts on it and the rocks are pulled down a slope. This explains sea-floor spreading.

Slab pull theory explains the movement of plates at destructive boundaries, and specifically explains subduction and ocean trenches. When one plate descends under another into the mantle, the plate has enough weight to pull the rest of the plate with it.

It has been suggested ridge push "is not a significant control on the motion of most plates", in particularly plates "affected by slab pull from a subducting plate margin". It is said that slab pull (and slab suction; you don't need to know about this) account for "almost all of the force driving plate tectonics". Ridge push rifts only contributes 5-10%.
ferlin
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
(Original post by Sycaphore)
Plate tectonics theory is when convection currents driven by heat from the mantle re raised up into the asthenosphere and then is pulled along the underside of the plate and then sinks again. At constructive plate boundaries, the currents pull the plates apart (divergence). At destructive plate boundaries, the currents pull the plates towards each other (convergence). One major flaw in the theory is that the forces Wegener stated were needed to move the plates are wholly insufficient.

Ridge push is when magma that is extruded through a gap in the plates heats the rocks around it. These rise up, and then when they have solidified and cooled into rocks, gravity acts on it and the rocks are pulled down a slope. This explains sea-floor spreading.

Slab pull theory explains the movement of plates at destructive boundaries, and specifically explains subduction and ocean trenches. When one plate descends under another into the mantle, the plate has enough weight to pull the rest of the plate with it.

It has been suggested ridge push "is not a significant control on the motion of most plates", in particularly plates "affected by slab pull from a subducting plate margin". It is said that slab pull (and slab suction; you don't need to know about this) account for "almost all of the force driving plate tectonics". Ridge push rifts only contributes 5-10%.
this is amazing thank you so much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    Department of Media, Culture and Language; School of Education; Business School Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Tue, 19 Feb '19
  • University of Kent
    Sciences, Social Sciences and Humanities Further education
    Tue, 19 Feb '19

Do you give blood?

Yes (61)
8.5%
I used to but I don't now (17)
2.37%