Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok then fellow first years, anyone submitted their choices yet?

I'm thinking of going with the 3 required modules next year to get them done...does anyone have any information about whether that's detrimental, beneficial or simply doesn't make much difference at all?

ReputationRep:
    Definitely do Property and Trusts together. Many people do tort as well but it makes for quite a heavy year, I'm glad I decided to leave tort till third year. Still, many do it in second and cope fine.

Steer well clear of Evidence, it's a heavy workload and although the subject is interesting, I hated it!

Don't stress too much about what modules you pick - it doesn't matter for your future career, although people certainly seem to think it does. Pick what you will enjoy.

The other options I did were Family in second year, and this year I'm doing Conflict of Laws (third year only option) and Anti-Discrimination, so if you had any questions about those I'm happy to help. I steered clear of the more 'commercial' options though so I'm probably not the best person to ask about those, I only know what my friends have told me about them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmings)
    Definitely do Property and Trusts together. Many people do tort as well but it makes for quite a heavy year, I'm glad I decided to leave tort till third year. Still, many do it in second and cope fine.

Steer well clear of Evidence, it's a heavy workload and although the subject is interesting, I hated it!

Don't stress too much about what modules you pick - it doesn't matter for your future career, although people certainly seem to think it does. Pick what you will enjoy.

The other options I did were Family in second year, and this year I'm doing Conflict of Laws (third year only option) and Anti-Discrimination, so if you had any questions about those I'm happy to help. I steered clear of the more 'commercial' options though so I'm probably not the best person to ask about those, I only know what my friends have told me about them.
    Thankyou that's really helpful.
    I'm quite keen to take tort next year as it should hopefully mean I have no restrictions as to the 3rd year in case I suddenly decide I wish to work in the area of medicine :p:

I'm also leaning towards International (Public) Law as my final option. Anyone know anything about the course e.g. is it a lot of work?

(Original post by k89g)
    I'm also leaning towards International (Public) Law as my final option. Anyone know anything about the course e.g. is it a lot of work?
    I think you shouldn't pick a module according to how much work you'll have to do. You are doing a law degree and as such you’re going to do a lot of work??
    I think you should pick a module you find passionate or particularly fascinating/interesting. For me it’s EU Law.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    I think you shouldn't pick a module according to how much work you'll have to do. You are doing a law degree and as such you’re going to do a lot of work??
    I think you should pick a module you find passionate or particularly fascinating/interesting. For me it’s EU Law.
    An admirable but impractical attitude. Certainly if you plan to take the three compulsories in second year then you should be looking for a 'lighter' fourth option - I myself underestimated the jump from first to second year, you really do have a lot more work.

I'm not sure about the workload for public international, but a general bit of advice is to have a look at the archived study materials on the undergraduate intranet. Most modules have a course guide uploaded there and you can see what the reading is like for each week. This isn't conclusive, as the course generally changes slightly every year, but will give you an idea.

An admirable but impractical attitude. Certainly if you plan to take the three compulsories in second year then you should be looking for a 'lighter' fourth option - I myself underestimated the jump from first to second year, you really do have a lot more work.

I'm not sure about the workload for public international, but a general bit of advice is to have a look at the archived study materials on the undergraduate intranet. Most modules have a course guide uploaded there and you can see what the reading is like for each week. This isn't conclusive, as the course generally changes slightly every year, but will give you an idea.
    Hmm ... well I am doing the 3 compulsory modules next year = tort, trusts, property.
    I am in a tie between Human Rights, Competition Law and International Trade.
    They are within the fields of EU Law but the thing is I can only make one option and don't wish to blow it.

ReputationRep:

A great idea, thankyou.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lord Hysteria)
    Hmm ... well I am doing the 3 compulsory modules next year = tort, trusts, property.
    I am in a tie between Human Rights, Competition Law and International Trade.
    They are within the fields of EU Law but the thing is I can only make one option and don't wish to blow it.
    Human Rights is a great course (I haven't done it but I wish I had - I'm doing Anti-Discrimination which is pretty similar and also taught by Robert Wintemute) - though it's more ECHR than EU really.

Competition is supposed to be good if you're into that sort of thing.

Human Rights is a great course (I haven't done it but I wish I had - I'm doing Anti-Discrimination which is pretty similar and also taught by Robert Wintemute) - though it's more ECHR than EU really.

Competition is supposed to be good if you're into that sort of thing.
    Yes,, I was thinking about Anti-discrimination law, but not sure. Its quite similar, but I think I'll stick with Human Rights.

omg - you go to KCL? 2nd or 1st year?
    I am on the anglo/french law program so only have one choice!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey. When you say the module choices won't affect our career options, what do you mean? As in I'm not really into the whole commercial law concept so was planning on doing stuff like labour,family ,add crime etc. but I don't want to cut myself off completely from commercial law firms

ReputationRep:
    Lord Hysteria - I'm third year.

Nimaland - I chose less commercial options (family, evidence, anti-discrimination and conflict of laws) and I applied to national and regional firms who did a range of both private client and commercial work. At 2 of my interviews I was asked why I chose the modules I had (though not in a why-didn't-you-do-commercial-options kind of way) and the interviewer said himself that I would be at no disadvantage doing a commercial seat having not done commercial options. The LPC takes care of all that, what you learn in your law degree you won't really use much when it comes to practice - look at GDL students, they don't do any commercial options, only the compulsories, but they make up half of all trainees. You should pick modules you will be interested in and will do well in. You might be asked about your choices, as I was, but that is a fairly general question which is probably asked to those who have picked commercial options too, and it's not a decisive factor on which to interview or reject you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh thats excellent. Any comments on the Family Law,Labour,Taxation and Add Crime options?

ReputationRep:
    I really enjoyed family and it's not too heavy. But I did last year and apparently it's quite different this year because virtually all the tutors teaching it left. Only downside is it moves so fast, especially ancillary relief stuff (finance available on divorce) - there's no textbook that can keep up.

I hear tax is good, not much reading as it's mostly statute. Labour is taught by Ewing who's excellent, but remember you have to do a dissertation for it - coursework's not my thing but it might be yours.

ReputationRep:
    ooo all of them left?thats bad. i might have to get a 2nd yr opinion on it then to find out how the new situation is...I assume they use notes instead of the textbook then since its always outdated
    Ooo tax is good? Coz i know the school highly recommends us to do it but it sounded heavy. not sure on the boringness factor though
    i know i want to do labour just because of Ewing. but it doesnt say anything about a dissertation in our handout
    How bout /Add Crime?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, Labour must have changed this year then, I know my friend did one for labour! I don't know anything about Advanced Criminal I'm afraid. Yeah with family we just learned ancillary relief from extremely extensive lecture notes - it was fine though.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.