The Student Room Group

Can anyone break down the peeled potato test to me biology??

Anyone know how to break the test to me in simple terms?
basically osmosis experiment, to find the concentration of sugar in a potato

peel the potato

cut into little rods of roughly equal size

weigh them

get a bunch of solutions of sugar in water in test tubes, ranging from one which doesn't have any sugar (the control) to one which is basically fully saturated with a few in between. use serial dilution technique, where the dilution difference between each test tube is constant

then come back after 30 minutes and wipe away the excess solution on the surface and weigh them again

check the weight change; identify the one with the least, or no, weight change

then trace back to which test tube it was in, and what the sugar concentration was in there

the potato must have a similar concentration of sugar, to the concentration in the test tube, as their was approximately no osmosis (net movement of water)

also make sure to use just one potato, to label the test tubes (the sugar concentration) and have them in a test tube rack, and that you use tweezers to pick the potatoes up, and not apply to much force

and you gotta use that circular hole cutter thing, whatever its name was
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Fate_299792458

peel the potato

weigh them

get a bunch of solutions of sugar in water in test tubes, ranging from one which doesn't have any sugar (the control) to one which is basically fully saturated with a few in between

then come back after 30 minutes and wipe away the excess solution on the surface and weigh them again

then trace back to which test tube it was in, and what the sugar concentration was in there

the potato must have a similar concentration of sugar, to the concentration in the test tube, as their was approximately no osmosis (net movement of water)

also make sure to use just one potato, to label the test tubes (the sugar concentration) and have them in a test tube rack, and that you use tweezers to pick the potatoes up, and not apply to much force

you forgot to include serial dilutions?
Reply 3

peel the potato

weigh them

get a bunch of solutions of sugar in water in test tubes, ranging from one which doesn't have any sugar (the control) to one which is basically fully saturated with a few in between

Thanks
Original post by RickHendricks

havent even revised it yet, thanks for highlighting that tho
havent even revised it yet, thanks for highlighting that tho

i was actually going to ask u to go through it, cuz i dont remember it well at all haha
all i remember is you put some potato is water:colonhash:
Reply 7
It's a cork borer
Original post by RickHendricks

Original post by YOLOYOLO2
Anyone know how to break the test to me in simple terms?

thank you both, without you to getting me to remember this, and especially the new info i got concerning serial dilutions, i wouldve found the test a bit harder

thank you both, without you to getting me to remember this, and especially the new info i got concerning serial dilutions, i wouldve found the test a bit harder

no problem. I actually do AS lol

Quick Reply

Latest