The Student Room Group

Questions about A-level Further Maths...

Hi there,
I've been doing half-decent at A-level Maths this year, so I've been offered the chance to take an AS in Further Maths in my second year, alongside my 3 A-levels.

Do you think it's a good idea to take four subjects in your second year? (my other subjects are maths, physics and spanish)

What is AS Further Maths like? Is it very different from A-level Maths? Is it a lot harder?

I'm thinking of doing a degree in Business Management and Spanish... could the AS help me get in, due to the business side of things?

Any response is greatly appreciated, thanks!
I am doing further maths and I would say that the maths isn't necessarily harder just different. The majority of the course is new content. It depends on whether you would want extra work and on how well your other subjects go. Also AS further has 2 applied modules. If you chose the mechanics modules it would help a lot with physics as similar content is studied in them. You could always try and if it gets too much drop back down to 3 subjects.
Reply 2
Original post by Chemistry_Sam
I am doing further maths and I would say that the maths isn't necessarily harder just different. The majority of the course is new content. It depends on whether you would want extra work and on how well your other subjects go. Also AS further has 2 applied modules. If you chose the mechanics modules it would help a lot with physics as similar content is studied in them. You could always try and if it gets too much drop back down to 3 subjects.

Yeh, you're right. I suppose I could give it a go and drop it if necessary.

Quick Reply

Latest