Should I do AS Further Maths in my second year?

Watch
Benjidude
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I do A-levels in Maths, Physics and Spanish. Should I do AS Further Maths in my second year? Or will it be too much?
Thanks!
gdunne42
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Benjidude)
I do A-levels in Maths, Physics and Spanish. Should I do AS Further Maths in my second year? Or will it be too much?
Thanks!
AS further maths is not excessively difficult for someone doing well in maths.
BUT
The extra workload could impact your time to study for your other subjects and those A level results will be what decide your university place. Linear A levels inevitably mean there's a greater workload for final exam revision than the modular A levels of the past.
FM AS would be advantageous if you planned to do e.g. Physics or Engineering. FM AS is unlikely to enhance an application e.g. for a business course, they tend not to be as highly mathematical as e.g. an economics course where it might be somewhat advantageous.
Benjidude
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by gdunne42)
AS further maths is not excessively difficult for someone doing well in maths.
BUT
The extra workload could impact your time to study for your other subjects and those A level results will be what decide your university place. Linear A levels inevitably mean there's a greater workload for final exam revision than the modular A levels of the past.
FM AS would be advantageous if you planned to do e.g. Physics or Engineering. FM AS is unlikely to enhance an application e.g. for a business course, they tend not to be as highly mathematical as e.g. an economics course where it might be somewhat advantageous.
Ahh ok. That's really helpful because I was considering taking a business management course, so thank you for your analogy.
Colafusion
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
AS qualifications are two year courses now anyways iirc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With HE fairs postponed, would a virtual HE fair be useful?

Yes (102)
61.45%
No (64)
38.55%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed