Turn on thread page Beta

Apparently reading about the Klu Klux Klan... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusus Naturae)
    So you would be happy with somebody sitting next to you on your lunch-break and reading a book about how everybody who is the same race, or skin colour, as you is no better than an animal and should be exterminated?
    Because that automatically means that they believe it?

I've studied the bible and the koran (briefly), doesn't mean I believe any of it.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be careful if I'm ever reading a book about WW2. Wouldn't want to offend any jews.

ReputationRep:
    My current non-fic. read is a book about the atrocities of Auschwitz. Does this mean that I shouldn't read it in public in case I offend any Jews, despite the fact that the book is actually in sympathy with the victims? :rolleyes:

I could understand if this guy's book was entitled "The Ku Klux Klan Induction Manual" or something, but it's evidently not that sort of book.

Gah.

(Original post by Renal)
    Because that automatically means that they believe it?.
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Would you object if the book had taken a pro-KKK stance?
    No I really wouldn't. I think that people should be able to read what they want where they want. It wasn't like he was being racially insulting to someone. There are plenty of academics who have to read books etc which present a view that they don't agree with, I don't see why there is anything wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    So you would be happy with somebody sitting next to you on your lunch-break and reading a book about how everybody who is the same race, or skin colour, as you is no better than an animal and should be exterminated?
    Yes. You can't write a research paper on, say, far right politics without reading the sources. It's basic and obvious, it clearly doesn't mean you agree with them. I might think it would be out of the ordinary in a different setting, but in a university library I wouldn't think twice if I saw someone browsing through Mein Kampf, I would just assume they were researching Nazism.

Likewise, if you're writing on Marxism, reading the communist manifesto does not neccessarily make you a communist.

ReputationRep:
    I'm reading Lolita and am not sexually attracted to pre-pubescent girls!
    To be honest, if someone offered me a book written from a pro-KKK stance I'd read it. I'd be intrigued to find out their reasoning and arguments straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.
    I don't necessarily have to agree with it. But, a book's a book, and they make for some interesting reading! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chester_2005)
    I'm reading Lolita and am not sexually attracted to pre-pubescent girls!
    To be honest, if someone offered me a book written from a pro-KKK stance I'd read it. I'd be intrigued to find out their reasoning and arguments straight from the horse's mouth so to speak.
    I don't necessarily have to agree with it. But, a book's a book, and they make for some interesting reading! :rolleyes:
    Weirdly, Lolita is my current fictional read!

I'd be the same as you - I will read WBC stuff, for example, because it interests me to learn where they're coming from - even if their beliefs completely contrast with mine. I would probably read a pro-KKK book for the same reasons... but if it had some sort of pro-KKK-sounding title, I probably wouldn't read it in public, just in case. I think it's right to be sensitive to some degree, but the book in question didn't have an incendiary title, so I don't get the fuss.

(Original post by Tomber)
    Yes. You can't write a research paper on, say, far right politics without reading the sources. It's basic and obvious, it clearly doesn't mean you agree with them. I might think it would be out of the ordinary in a different setting, but in a university library I wouldn't think twice if I saw someone browsing through Mein Kampf, I would just assume they were researching Nazism.

Likewise, if you're writing on Marxism, reading the communist manifesto does not neccessarily make you a communist.
    Guys, humour me and answer one last question: Would you be happy sitting next to me everyday while I read a book telling me (and giving explicit instructions) on how to kidnap and brutally torture your young children? Would you impose no limit on what I can and cannot read in your presence?

EDIT: That must be the first time I have received negative rep for asking a question !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *pitseleh*)
    Weirdly, Lolita is my current fictional read!

I'd be the same as you - I will read WBC stuff, for example, because it interests me to learn where they're coming from - even if their beliefs completely contrast with mine. I would probably read a pro-KKK book for the same reasons... but if it had some sort of pro-KKK-sounding title, I probably wouldn't read it in public, just in case. I think it's right to be sensitive to some degree, but the book in question didn't have an incendiary title, so I don't get the fuss.
    Exactly! If Lolita happened to be called "Luring pre-teen girls into bed", then perhaps, I wouldn't read it on the bus or in work!
    But you're right that it's sensible to be sensitive. In this case, however, it's a university setting and it's clearly not a piece of KKK propaganda! I would have thought university academics would have understood the nature of such books i.e. factual historical accounts for educational purposes......but obviously not! :rolleyes:
    I've seen people sitting in Belfast on benches reading books like "The Early years of the IRA" etc...and it's completely acceptable! People simply take an interest in certain subjects, so why shouldn't they learn about them?!

ReputationRep:
    Guys, humour me and answer one last question: Would you be happy sitting next to me everyday while I read a book telling me (and giving explicit instructions) on how to kidnap and brutally torture your young children? If you knew me well, would you ask me to babysit your children?

EDIT: That must be the first time I have received -ve rep for asking a straight question !
    Such a book would NOT be published.

Such a book would NOT be published.
    It need not be a published book; it could be a privately distributed book.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, humour me and answer one last question: Would you be happy sitting next to me everyday while I read a book telling me (and giving explicit instructions) on how to kidnap and brutally torture your young children? Would you impose no limit on what I can and cannot read in your presence?

EDIT: That must be the first time I have received -ve rep for asking a straight question !
    Oh for gods sake, Reductio ad absurdum. Frankly I'd be more worried if you were reading that if I wasn't there.

Do you think that people should be allowed to study 'The Birth of a Nation'? Really shocking film in terms of content, but one of important historical value, both in terms of looking at attitudes of the time, and also with regards to technical aspects.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_birth_of_a_nation if you are not familiar.

ReputationRep:
    It need not be a published book; it could be a privately distributed book.
    Therefore, context needs to be applied here.
    The guy in the article was reading a legally published and distributed historical account and you are referring to a privately distributed book on a subject of child abduction and torture.

Hardly a fair comparison... :rolleyes:

(Original post by Tomber)
    Do you think that people should be allowed to study 'The Birth of a Nation'?
    Yes.

I fear you misunderstand me: I (fundamentally) agree with your position, but I think it is dangerous if some people promote the popular view expressed on this thread without thinking about all the ramifications of their position - hence the questions. I think the opposing argument has more life than many assume it has. (I am not accusing you of this, but it is a trend that I sense in the thread.)

Hardly a fair comparison...
    I was not trying to make a comparison with the original story; I was considering whether the "rule" could be applied to the universal case.

ReputationRep:
    Why not? I might be amused, I might question your motives, but I wouldn't be unhappy. If it was on campus, even less curious. I would impose no limit on what you can and cannot read in my presence, and I would expect you to do the same. Would you have a problem with what others were reading near you? Would you request they stopped if you did? If someone requested I stopped reading whatever I was reading, I'd like to think I'd have the confidence to engage them in discussion, though in reality I'd probably just gingerly stop.

As an aside, I would rather someone with the capacity to devise their own plans kidnapped and brutally tortured my children though, rather than just following instruction. How hack can you get :rolleyes:

im sure some people try to be offended by things.
    a famous saying springs to mind, about forgetting the past...

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.