Should military uniforms be worn in public? Watch

threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Just to be clear on the matter - there is absolutely no chance WHATSOEVER that military personnel would wear their uniforms just for the sake of dressing up. It would be the equivalent of a civvy putting on their bright green Adsa tabard to go clubbing, or getting into their sports kit to go and see granny - like wtf for? It's against the rules anyway.

By 'off-duty' the reports mean travelling to or from work, which might include going via the shops, picking kids up from school, getting fuel etc. During the Irish troubles, the deal was that you didn't leave your unit visibly in uniform. However, this policy made life pretty inefficient and also led to an effective 'invisibility' to the public. The rules were changed after the Good Friday agreement when the security position changed, and it has been encouraged so that civvies see that Service personnel exist and are part of every day society.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I think they should wear their uniforms in public. For a start I believe that having somebody dressed in their uniform would have a deterrent effect on criminals. Secondly they would be easily identifiable in the case of an emergency which they would be better equipped to help in than 99% of the nation.

I'm sick of people blubbering about them being in Iraq/Afghanistan, it's pathetic They don't decide military policy at all and further more the vast majority of them would rather not be there at all. They are in long contracts that you can't get out of and many of them need to re-sign their contracts for their families livelyhood. Very few wars in history have ever been entered because the enemy has done something directly to us. There is very little evidence that Germany would have attempted to conquer us but we still went to war with them, would you go upto a verteran in the poppy day parade and tell him exactly the same thing you want to tell our troops now? I don't think so...
Grim_the_Reaper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
There is very little evidence that Germany would have attempted to conquer us but we still went to war with them, would you go upto a verteran in the poppy day parade and tell him exactly the same thing you want to tell our troops now? I don't think so...
Never heard of Operation Sealion then? You know, the plan to INVADE the British Isles? I'd count that as an attempt to conquer us.

Anyway, yes the uniforms should be worn. I detest the Iraq War but I still respect the troops, they've done a great job.

They deserve our respect all the same. Our anger should be directed to the lying government not the troops.
Herr Stamper
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Just to be clear on the matter - there is absolutely no chance WHATSOEVER that military personnel would wear their uniforms just for the sake of dressing up. It would be the equivalent of a civvy putting on their bright green Adsa tabard to go clubbing, or getting into their sports kit to go and see granny - like wtf for? It's against the rules anyway.

By 'off-duty' the reports mean travelling to or from work, which might include going via the shops, picking kids up from school, getting fuel etc. During the Irish troubles, the deal was that you didn't leave your unit visibly in uniform. However, this policy made life pretty inefficient and also led to an effective 'invisibility' to the public. The rules were changed after the Good Friday agreement when the security position changed, and it has been encouraged so that civvies see that Service personnel exist and are part of every day society.
Incorrect, i can name you people off the top of my head in the RN and TA who 'dress up' in their uniforms for occasions like Halloween.
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Sad company you keep then! Its against all standing orders. Partial uniform is considered even worse - and a pretty naff Halloween outfit! But it is also not the same as walking through town on your way back from work to do a bit of shopping etc.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
can anyone confirm or deny the idea i have in my ehad that the decision in peterbrough was take on the account of ONE incident happening ages ago - not liek the media trying to make us believe soliders were getting constant abuse on the streets......?
davidjones90
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
We should be proud of the men and women who serves our country...Ok our leaders are screwed up and took poor decisions but these people had a duty to serve our country when told to do so and that's exactly what their are did/doing. We should be proud of them and if you see one in Military uniform take a moment and says thanks and shake their hands...It would mean so much to them as their are constantly criticised.

So absolutely they military uniform should be worn in public.
Helikaon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Elipsis)
Very few wars in history have ever been entered because the enemy has done something directly to us. There is very little evidence that Germany would have attempted to conquer us but we still went to war with them, would you go upto a veteran in the poppy day parade and tell him exactly the same thing you want to tell our troops now? I don't think so...
(Original post by Grim_the_Reaper)
Never heard of Operation Sealion then? You know, the plan to INVADE the British Isles? I'd count that as an attempt to conquer us.
Just on that point, Operation Sealion wasn't formulated until after we declared war in 1939 and even then not until 1940 when we actually sent some of our troop over to help the French. Therefore when we did enter the war there was no plan to invade the UK, in fact some evidence suggests Hitler saw the British as a potential ally until we sent aid to France. But anyway thats off the point...

All service personnel should be allowed to wear their uniform in public if they wish to (which i imagine most would only do if they were popping into the shops on the way home from work) or going out on recruitment or other things (such as talks at schools). The low lifes that abuse them (of all social classes and backgrounds) because they dont agree with Iraq and Afghanistan should be ashamed of themselves.
Ellie1989
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by duckiciao)
PPRuNe is the Professional Pilots Rumour Network, but I doubt 90% of the people on there are pilots.

Just because a forum is named the TSR, doesn't mean it is exclusively for students, but intended to be used by students, but can be used by anyone.

And Ellie, you clearly are ignorant and self absorbed. I reference your quoted post as evidence.

how sad of u having to bad rep me over a matter of what one believes. and this coming from someones whos even younger than me .... ok
Ducki
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ellie1989)
how sad of u having to bad rep me over a matter of what one believes. and this coming from someones whos even younger than me .... ok
Oh bugger off, grow up and take your superiority complex with you.

And age does not equal maturity, as you have repeatedly proved with your infantile posts.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by duckiciao)
And age does not equal maturity.
And moaning about rep seems to equal quite the opposite in my experience.
Ellie1989
Report 10 years ago
i wasnt moaning about it. im just saying i thought this whole thing was about peoples opinions. but alot of the time it seems that if you dont agree ur gonna get ''attacked'' for it.
Acaila
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Children children, let's try and be civil now. Keep on the topic please.
Herr Stamper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by threeportdrift)
Sad company you keep then! Its against all standing orders. Partial uniform is considered even worse - and a pretty naff Halloween outfit! But it is also not the same as walking through town on your way back from work to do a bit of shopping etc.
Lay off the offensive, don't assume i 'accompany' them. I know their names, i have seen the photos.
And don't for **** sake, knock the uniform - regardless of context.
Grim_the_Reaper
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Helikaon)
Just on that point, Operation Sealion wasn't formulated until after we declared war in 1939 and even then not until 1940 when we actually sent some of our troop over to help the French. Therefore when we did enter the war there was no plan to invade the UK, in fact some evidence suggests Hitler saw the British as a potential ally until we sent aid to France. But anyway thats off the point...
This is off-topic but we had a defensive pact with Poland and were therefore honouring it by declaring war on Germany. No such thing with fiasco in Iraq.

However I say again, don't blame the army for it. Blame the politicians.
threeportdrift
  • Community Assistant
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Frio3535)
And don't for **** sake, knock the uniform - regardless of context.

Oh, I don't know, I've been entitled to wear it for 24 years. I reckon I know the details about where and when it is permitted to be worn and in which circumstances it is not - and fancy dress is explicitly not permitted, iaw tri-service regs. I've also been in long enough to be able to see past the 'it's military therefore it's correct' blinkers.
enrico palazzo
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by CHAMON)
Not currently no. Many people disagree with the coughs *War On Terror* coughs

People resent us sending troops over to a country which did nothing to us. And the cost is killing thosands of innocent people!
How about harbouring a terrorist who masterminded an operation which brought about the death and injury of dozens of Britons in September 2001?
Helikaon
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Grim_the_Reaper)
This is off-topic but we had a defensive pact with Poland and were therefore honouring it by declaring war on Germany. No such thing with fiasco in Iraq.

However I say again, don't blame the army for it. Blame the politicians.
Very true with iraq, though (again off topic but its fun) the defensive pact with poland was a bit of a joke to begin with. Being that Germany invaded Poland in September 1939 and we declared war, only to posture about for 6 months (the so called phoney war period) before getting off our arses to do anything!

When politicians get involved for the "good of everyone" it usually ends up being a bad idea, simply because their in Westminster and everyone else lives in the real world
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
why do they NEED to wear them ? thats the only reason i have anything wrong with it. its sort of an intimidation thing. they dont have any need for that specific outfit other than to seperate themselves and appear more intimidating
Excuse me!?

I had to go to an optician's appointment during work hours the other day. I don't think it's unreasonable of me to want to wear my uniform rather than change into civvies to go to the appointment and then change back to start work again. I'm sure that as a 5'3" twenty something woman I look very intimidating in my blue RAF uniform.

A lot of people wear their uniforms to drive/walk/cycle home because it just doesn't make sense to change. Or they might have a duty outside of the base such as liasing with local authorities.

It's NOT about intimidation! OK you might get the odd invidual who wears uniform for that reason but it must be few and far between.

Get the facts right before you judge.
GR29KHS
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
for example the americans tend to wear their uniforms even off duty, like service men and women i mean.
A few British people I've spoken to recently who've served out there say that they do it on purpose - because they get treat SO well by the American public when they do it.

What does it say about this country that many people chose not to wear their uniform because they get treated badly!
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (166)
18.57%
No (543)
60.74%
Not really bothered about them (185)
20.69%

Watched Threads