I'm planning to skim through history, how to maximise effectiveness of revision?

Watch
noname900
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
I know I'm screwed for history, the content it just too much...so I came up with a new strategy.

Out of the 11 grades I get. I know the only ones I will struggle to get a top grade are on History, Chinese and German. What's the best way to minimise time spent on history, so I can focus on getting A* on other subjects. I'm not too sure about English Lit, so that's 7 A*, my mum will be fine with that.

I was thinking of revising the whole syllabus, but ignoring dates, only remembering key dates like 1066, 1937, 1938, 1914, and so on. How would my grade be without knowledge of dates?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by noname900)
I know I'm screwed for history, the content it just too much...so I came up with a new strategy.

Out of the 11 grades I get. I know the only ones I will struggle to get a top grade are on History, Chinese and German. What's the best way to minimise time spent on history, so I can focus on getting A* on other subjects. I'm not too sure about English Lit, so that's 7 A*, my mum will be fine with that.

I was thinking of revising the whole syllabus, but ignoring dates, only remembering key dates like 1066, 1937, 1938, 1914, and so on. How would my grade be without knowledge of dates?
Dates on their own are just a bunch of dates.

Just reduce your revision notes to 10-20 key facts per topic.
Three to six pages of revision notes should be enough.
It then boils down to just being smart in the exam and maximising.
Dreamer20
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
for learning the theories/facts - flash cards

for learning how to write good essays - write essays
noname900
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by 999tigger)
Dates on their own are just a bunch of dates.

Just reduce your revision notes to 10-20 key facts per topic.
Three to six pages of revision notes should be enough.
It then boils down to just being smart in the exam and maximising.
How big of an impact do you think it will have on the grade? I mean is it safe to say that we would only lose marks on dates with account questions?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by noname900)
How big of an impact do you think it will have on the grade? I mean is it safe to say that we would only lose marks on dates with account questions?
There are key dates, but they serve more to keep things in the correct order. they are a lot fewer than you imagine. You cna write essays in a way that are less date based and more focused on analysis and evaluation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Poll: What factors affect your mental health most right now? Post-lockdown edition

Anxiousness about restrictions easing (30)
5.23%
Uncertainty around my education (67)
11.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (66)
11.5%
Lack of purpose or motivation (75)
13.07%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (33)
5.75%
Impact lockdown had on physical health (30)
5.23%
Social worries (incl. loneliness/making friends) (61)
10.63%
Financial worries (36)
6.27%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (23)
4.01%
Exposure to negative news/social media (34)
5.92%
Difficulty accessing real life entertainment (15)
2.61%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (57)
9.93%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (47)
8.19%

Watched Threads