Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know I'm screwed for history, the content it just too much...so I came up with a new strategy.

Out of the 11 grades I get. I know the only ones I will struggle to get a top grade are on History, Chinese and German. What's the best way to minimise time spent on history, so I can focus on getting A* on other subjects. I'm not too sure about English Lit, so that's 7 A*, my mum will be fine with that.

I was thinking of revising the whole syllabus, but ignoring dates, only remembering key dates like 1066, 1937, 1938, 1914, and so on. How would my grade be without knowledge of dates?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by noname900)
    I know I'm screwed for history, the content it just too much...so I came up with a new strategy.

Out of the 11 grades I get. I know the only ones I will struggle to get a top grade are on History, Chinese and German. What's the best way to minimise time spent on history, so I can focus on getting A* on other subjects. I'm not too sure about English Lit, so that's 7 A*, my mum will be fine with that.

I was thinking of revising the whole syllabus, but ignoring dates, only remembering key dates like 1066, 1937, 1938, 1914, and so on. How would my grade be without knowledge of dates?
    Dates on their own are just a bunch of dates.

Just reduce your revision notes to 10-20 key facts per topic.
    Three to six pages of revision notes should be enough.
    It then boils down to just being smart in the exam and maximising.

ReputationRep:
    for learning the theories/facts - flash cards

for learning how to write good essays - write essays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Dates on their own are just a bunch of dates.

Just reduce your revision notes to 10-20 key facts per topic.
    Three to six pages of revision notes should be enough.
    It then boils down to just being smart in the exam and maximising.
    How big of an impact do you think it will have on the grade? I mean is it safe to say that we would only lose marks on dates with account questions?
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by noname900)
    How big of an impact do you think it will have on the grade? I mean is it safe to say that we would only lose marks on dates with account questions?
    There are key dates, but they serve more to keep things in the correct order. they are a lot fewer than you imagine. You cna write essays in a way that are less date based and more focused on analysis and evaluation.

ReputationRep:
    Remove all the useless stuff from the book in your own notes, for Edexcel History that will be a lot less to learn and learning how to answer the question will defo be worth while

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.