The Student Room Group

Dyslexics - Show me your skills!

Hi

I want to see what other dyslexics use to cope with the workload at University. How do you organise yourself? What works? What doesn't for you.

I am starting 4th year next and I have many coping mechanisms as I wasn't diagnosed until I was 36. But the reality of the workload for 4th year, particularly in terms of reading is really starting to freak me out.

I have appointments with disability service at my university but I have found seeing what other people do is really helpful.

My main problem areas are usable notes (things I will actually go back to not just throw away because just looking at them makes me feel sick).

Reading - I am so slow and have a 12min limit for what I can read at any one time before the brain says NOPE. Tie this in with workable notes and I basically have nothing to show for my 3 years so far except essays and grades.

Time management - I am a mother of 5 childlings. Two at Uni (or will be by September). One in High School and two at Primary school. Three stepchildren...the joys. Oh I am supposed to be a responsible adult as well. Any mature student dyslexics or dyslexics with additional care responsibilities. How do you organise your time? I use outlook for general meetings/timetables/holidays etc. That has worked so far. For studying I have just done it as and when. But what about organising study time? I think I really need to nail it this year if I want to get the degree I want.

Thank you in advance
Original post by LilBlueBug
Hi

I want to see what other dyslexics use to cope with the workload at University. How do you organise yourself? What works? What doesn't for you.

I am starting 4th year next and I have many coping mechanisms as I wasn't diagnosed until I was 36. But the reality of the workload for 4th year, particularly in terms of reading is really starting to freak me out.

I have appointments with disability service at my university but I have found seeing what other people do is really helpful.

My main problem areas are usable notes (things I will actually go back to not just throw away because just looking at them makes me feel sick).

Reading - I am so slow and have a 12min limit for what I can read at any one time before the brain says NOPE. Tie this in with workable notes and I basically have nothing to show for my 3 years so far except essays and grades.

Time management - I am a mother of 5 childlings. Two at Uni (or will be by September). One in High School and two at Primary school. Three stepchildren...the joys. Oh I am supposed to be a responsible adult as well. Any mature student dyslexics or dyslexics with additional care responsibilities. How do you organise your time? I use outlook for general meetings/timetables/holidays etc. That has worked so far. For studying I have just done it as and when. But what about organising study time? I think I really need to nail it this year if I want to get the degree I want.

Thank you in advance

I dont have any children yet but as dyslexic and dyspraxic when I was at uni, I had everything in my Google calendar deadlines lecturers and meeting people. You can set reminders to your phone so you never forget anything.
I started every assignment as soon as there was any mention of it so I knew what I had to find when reading before starting so you can use those 12 minutes best (do you not have any software offered to you that can read for you?) and then you know what is most important to take notice of in lectures.

All my notes I did in bullet points in one note in my lecturers , if they have any slides then request them before hand, you only want to write additional necessary information in your notes.
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
I dont have any children yet but as dyslexic and dyspraxic when I was at uni, I had everything in my Google calendar deadlines lecturers and meeting people. You can set reminders to your phone so you never forget anything.
I started every assignment as soon as there was any mention of it so I knew what I had to find when reading before starting so you can use those 12 minutes best (do you not have any software offered to you that can read for you?) and then you know what is most important to take notice of in lectures.

All my notes I did in bullet points in one note in my lecturers , if they have any slides then request them before hand, you only want to write additional necessary information in your notes.

Hi Thank you!

I use outlook calendar the way you describe. I set it up with all my room numbers and everything at the beginning of the year and colour code the classes. Although the app isn't great for the colours I do get reminders.

I do have read & write gold, but tbh it drives me demented. I have it for when I do my exams and I am yet to use it. I think it is down to sitting exams without no assistance for years. I do seem to do better when I can abuse the paper but also have it read to me IYSWIM? I also have a highlighting system so I am not just highlighting in the one colour when I read.

In lectures I have software that records audio. You insert the slides into it and match the audio to the slides through the lecture. I've been shown how to do the same highlighting for the audio - so I am able to mark audio that is important. Then I can extract only the important audio. But I still can't work out what in lectures is important and end up messing the highlighting up. So haven't utilised it. Shame because its an awesome piece of kit.

My biggest issue is making notes from books. I think. Because although I think I can do it. I don't use the notes? I'm not sure.

I think my biggest issue is working out what is needed and what isn't.
Hi Thank you!

I use outlook calendar the way you describe. I set it up with all my room numbers and everything at the beginning of the year and colour code the classes. Although the app isn't great for the colours I do get reminders.

I do have read & write gold, but tbh it drives me demented. I have it for when I do my exams and I am yet to use it. I think it is down to sitting exams without no assistance for years. I do seem to do better when I can abuse the paper but also have it read to me IYSWIM? I also have a highlighting system so I am not just highlighting in the one colour when I read.

In lectures I have software that records audio. You insert the slides into it and match the audio to the slides through the lecture. I've been shown how to do the same highlighting for the audio - so I am able to mark audio that is important. Then I can extract only the important audio. But I still can't work out what in lectures is important and end up messing the highlighting up. So haven't utilised it. Shame because its an awesome piece of kit.

My biggest issue is making notes from books. I think. Because although I think I can do it. I don't use the notes? I'm not sure.

I think my biggest issue is working out what is needed and what isn't.

Yes read and write is very robotic so get why it's difficult to read.
Do you get assignment guidelines or learning objectives or something like that when you start a module?
With books I tend to try the first sentence and end of a paragraph and think does this help me understand the topic at all, will it answer my assignment question, if yes bullet point that paragraphs information, if not move onto the next part.
Reply 4
Original post by claireestelle
Yes read and write is very robotic so get why it's difficult to read.
Do you get assignment guidelines or learning objectives or something like that when you start a module?
With books I tend to try the first sentence and end of a paragraph and think does this help me understand the topic at all, will it answer my assignment question, if yes bullet point that paragraphs information, if not move onto the next part.

We do get guidelines and objectives but I pay no attention to them. I've found that trying to box tick and fulfil their criteria (both at degree level and below) interferes with my ability to learn and retain useful information.

I like your way of filtering the text. I think I will give that a go.
We do get guidelines and objectives but I pay no attention to them. I've found that trying to box tick and fulfil their criteria (both at degree level and below) interferes with my ability to learn and retain useful information.

I like your way of filtering the text. I think I will give that a go.

I got the filtering idea from a book called studying with dyslexia, can't remember the author but it was pretty helpful stuff.
Have you asked the dyslexic groups on facebook? We have conversations about education, studies, and life as a dyslexic:smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Laura iamdyslexi
Have you asked the dyslexic groups on facebook? We have conversations about education, studies, and life as a dyslexic:smile:

What groups?
Original post by Laura iamdyslexi

What groups?

Some universities may have a disabled, or dyslexic society that you can join, and will likely have facebook groups.:smile:

Spoiler

Reply 9
You've done amazing. And you have a lot going on so well done. I was diagnosed in year two with dyslexia. I get an extra week assignment time I have never used. I use a different phone student finance gave me. I also had a note taker in third year but this was due to a combination of health conditions not just the dyslexia.

When I did write notes I typed on my laptop as my writing is slow.

My reading is also slow. So journal's I'd use software student finance gave me. It helps so I can dead and listen to it.

Organising my time. I always submit my essays 2 weeks early. And I've got 6 1st and 4 high 2:1s when I took till the end to do the assignment my mark was lower.

I do it in stages.

I make my plan for intro main body what's in the main body section. And conclusion. I write down in my diary research for this section. So I've broken it up I'm not researching for the whole essay just for what I need for that part. Then il write it up. Next few days il research the next section. I feel it makes it feel so manageable. I don't spell check till the end as it takes so long and I often change things so there is no point me editing it all the way through. I really need to work short bursts at a time. As I used to do so much in one go then my brain was dead for days and I couldn't do anything if wasn't productive.

I've finished my degree now just waiting to find my degree classification. I also had a study coach from dsa I didn't use him in my last year though. I have two kids so not as busy as you they are five and six. I have a lot of disabilities so sometimes end up in hospital so I try to have things done early just incase.

You really are doing amazing as you've got this far. Just take it one step at a time.
Also I like to do most of my work in the uni library. I just stay for an extra hour Nd also do my during lunch
Sorry that meant I use a dicter phone from student finance. Not different phone lol

Quick Reply

Latest