The Student Room Group

Car is scraped. Did I do it or someone else?

I noticed today that there were scrapes on the front left bumper of my car.

I don't remember scraping anything myself. Could I have scraped something without me noticing? Or did someone scrape my car?

Is there any way to tell?
Original post by nonotyoutoo
I noticed today that there were scrapes on the front left bumper of my car.

I don't remember scraping anything myself. Could I have scraped something without me noticing? Or did someone scrape my car?

Is there any way to tell?

Stone chips or brick dust with the scratches, or perhaps twigs caught in the gaps between bumper and car body etc., would indicate you were the culprit.

The only other way would be to have CCTV or dashcam evidence. Even then that would not be conclusive unless the recording clearly shows contact was made between the vehicles.

You could easily have done it while parking - most likely reversing into a tight in-line space, or reversing out of a parallel parking space with cars either side.

Of course, the same thing may have happened if someone did that to you.

Public and private car parks, or in-line street parking are the most likely places.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by uberteknik
Stone chips or brick dust with the scratches, or perhaps twigs caught in the gaps between bumper and car body etc., would indicate you were the culprit.

The only other way would be to have CCTV or dashcam evidence. Even then that would not be conclusive unless the recording clearly shows contact was made between the vehicles.

You could easily have done it while parking - most likely reversing into a tight in-line space, or reversing out of a parallel parking space with cars either side.

Of course, the same thing may have happened if someone did that to you.

Public and private car parks, or in-line street parking are the most likely places.

So it's basically not possible to tell from the scrape marks alone?
Original post by nonotyoutoo
So it's basically not possible to tell from the scrape marks alone?

Unfortunately, no.
Reply 4
Do you have photos?
Original post by Sochaux
Do you have photos?

I took it to a body repair shop. He said a hundred quid lol. But I don't know how to repair a plastic bumper myself so :/

He said you can't tell which car hit which just from scrape marks.

However, I do still think its quite unlikely I drove it into someone else's car because I have trouble judging where the the left hand side of my own car is, I tend to overestimate how close something is to the left side of my car, I actually can't really pull over close to the kerb without reversing using side mirrors. So for me to hit something using the front left of my car would mean I drove so close to something I would have already thought I crashed before the car even touched anything.
Reply 6
If your bumper is metallic or is painted in a colour something along the lines of Tcut might help to or even get rid of the scratches providing they are not deep, if it's plastic then a tin of bumper spray paint either grey or black, (might even be able to get a coloured paint if it's painted too), depending will also cover over them and make them look better, the bodyshop at that price is probably going to replace the bumper entirely.

Quick Reply

Latest