Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Was offered to teach English Secondary with Teach First but wanted to teach Religious Education as I have a genuine passion and enthusiasm for this. My degree is in anthropology which has few modules on religion but during the A Level covered a lot of religion. They said based on my A levels they would only be able to offer me to teach English Language. But surely based off of my degree in Anthropology it would make more sense to offer me Religous Education rather than English based off of A levels I completed in 2012???? Thoughts and advice please? Considering taking a year out to study Religion as an MA just so I can secure secondary teaching in this subject.. Could I try a Schools Direct route instead? or PGCE not with Teach First?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maayaaninca)
    Was offered to teach English Secondary with Teach First but wanted to teach Religious Education as I have a genuine passion and enthusiasm for this. My degree is in anthropology which has few modules on religion but during the A Level covered a lot of religion. They said based on my A levels they would only be able to offer me to teach English Language. But surely based off of my degree in Anthropology it would make more sense to offer me Religous Education rather than English based off of A levels I completed in 2012???? Thoughts and advice please? Considering taking a year out to study Religion as an MA just so I can secure secondary teaching in this subject.. Could I try a Schools Direct route instead? or PGCE not with Teach First?
    If you don't want to teach English then it's not worth taking the Teach First offer - it'd be a long two years (and beyond). A PGCE (either university-led or Schools Direct) would probably be a better option, but you'd have to get your application in quick. There's a problem of entry requirements, however. While Teach First offer subjects based on almost any reasoning (as you've seen), for a Secondary PGCE you'd normally need 50% of your degree to be in the relevant subject. Anthropology (presumably) doesn't meet the 50% mark, so you'd have to contact individual institutions prior to applying and see what they say. You might be able to convince them, but it isn't guaranteed - it depends on how competitive RE PGCE applications are. The one big advantage of a PGCE (or Schools Direct, or SCITT) route for you is that if you get an offer, you won't be allocated a basically-random subject.

I'd say it comes down to this: if you definitely want to be teaching this September and don't mind what you're teaching, take the Teach First offer (though you'd initially struggle with subject knowledge, I suspect). If you're more invested in your choice of subject instead, then start enquiring about PGCEs for entry this September, but you'll have to show how your degree relates to it. I don't think an RE SKE exists so if it's clear that your degree isn't enough, an MA might not be a bad idea.

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.