Turn on thread page Beta

what will fuel the future? watch

Announcements

i think we all know (even if we dont want to admit it ) petrol and diesel cars will soon be a thing of the past. but of all the alternate fuels which do you think will be used most and which would you prefer?
    at the moment i think biofuel will be used at first for a few years moving on to some kind of system fuelled by water or air.

ReputationRep:
    Tilium!

ReputationRep:
    Hydrogen is where it will go. All those of us that can afford it will continue to run the smelly stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Hard to say, only a year or two ago I would have thought electricity was never going to reach road cars. Now I'm not so sure with decent Lithium Ion based setups in the likes of the Tesla roadster.

Thus - Electricity/Hydrogen. But before then biofuels and hybrids. 85mpg in family cars and as much as $300 a barrel before we start abandoning petrol/diesel. Oil based fuels will never "run out" as many people irritatingly say, they'll merely become prohibitively expensive for most people. We've got enough oil reserves and coal (which can be converted to usable fuel) to last us hundreds of years, it's just expensive to tap.

Air is an interesting possibility but the only compressed air driven cars I've seen so far have looked dire.

ReputationRep:
    For what it's worth current UK fuel prices are almost entirely down to the government/oil companies rather than dwindling reserves.

You see the current exchange rate is around two dollars a pound, a $100 barrel of oil costs £50. Few years ago when a barrel cost $75 the rate was $1.50 a pound which equated to exactly the same £50 a barrel. Hence we're being ripped off and the likes of Shell are making record profits.

ReputationRep:
    hydrogen fuel cells are the way forward, its just trying to make them smaller and smaller so they can fit inside cars

ReputationRep:
    Solar is where it's at.

well oil is currently at $105 per barrel and i cant see it falling bellow 100 anytime tbh

ReputationRep:
    High storage capacity gel power fuel cells powered overnight by local wind/hydro/tidal/nuclear developments.
    But for the next 50 years, until that's developed/invented then petrol or diesel maybe bio-fuel. We might see other fuel cells such as hydrogen but I can't see them gaining widespread popularity any time soon. People are still too attached to their V8s.
    Or hamsters. Lots and lots of hamster in the back of the car, running their hearts out on little wheels linked to the drive-shafts.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mountainmetman)
    Or hamsters. Lots and lots of hamster in the back of the car, running their hearts out on little wheels linked to the drive-shafts.
    Best idea so far. You get hamster farms instead of petrol stations! You just put in a new hamster when the old one gets exhausted and has to move onto the car hamster retirement club.

ReputationRep:
    Biofuel. Once the technology starts to work the way it theoretically can then we'll be fine producing biobutanol for petrol and biodiesel for diesel. This will be combined with increasing fuel efficency, to make a sustainable car. Nuclear power hydrolysing water to produce hydrogen and oxygen offers and interesting alternative though, inject the oxygen into convenstional fuel to decrease burn times and increase cleanlieness, while power other cars on hydrogen.......

ReputationRep:
    nuclear!

its the way forward, we can recreate the sun =D

ReputationRep:
    accidental double post - sorry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Best idea so far. You get hamster farms instead of petrol stations! You just put in a new hamster when the old one gets exhausted and has to move onto the car hamster retirement club.
    Better to Genetically Engineer some sort of super-hamster, about the size of a small engine.

ReputationRep:
    Biofuel is not an effective proposition in the long term, you'd need more land than is available to make fuel crops. What's more the energy used in harvesting the crops would appear to be more than the energy gained from the crop a lot of the time.

Solar panels are really nowhere near cheap enough or up to the standard of being able to power a car. (As in a usable everyday car like the one's we have now)

ReputationRep:
    It would be really useful if they could use urine.

(Original post by Harriellie)
    It would be really useful if they could use urine.
    top gear ran a car on ****?

ReputationRep:
    what about biofuel, if it's so renewable, s houldnt bee an issue? or is it a case of supply<demand

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    top gear ran a car on ****?
    Well then there you go.

Thinking about it, water was probably the obvious place to go with that.

ReputationRep:
    Hydrogen eventually, but until that I think it will be most likely nuclear power.

Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.