I am 18 and currently in my 3rd year at college, i am in my 3rd year mostly because i basically messed up the past two years so stayed on to get decent grades. My plan for this year was to re-take sociology and psychology and finish my photography a level, well it nearly went to plan until psychology wouldn't allow me to re-take the year. i was allowed to re-take sociology and my teacher has been a great help and very encouraging, when i recieved my results yesterday i found that i had achieved B's in the sociology A2 exam and one of my sociology resits so i'm now aiming for a B in all of the sociology exams as i just need to re-sit one AS exam to raise it to a B. My teachers veru proud of me and i've decided to apply late to uni, but my teacher thinks that it'd be a good idea if i stayed for a 4th year and she could try to persuade psychology to let me do AS and A2 in the same year and i could get an A2 in film studies which i started this year to fill up my timetable. I resat 2 psychology exams in january and ended up with an E and a U, and she thinks its because as i haven't been doing it for 7months so its hard to remember everything so thinks i could do really well if i did it next year and then instead of going to a uni because they were the only ones that'd accept me i could go to a fairly decent uni of my choice.
Now don't get me wrong i completely understand where she's coming from and it's most likely the best thing to do, but i really don't want to stay a 4th year, not only because it's embarrassing but because i won't know anyone, i had my heart set on going to uni in september and i'm getting really frustrated with the place.
What should i do, i've applied for Bangor, Newport and Birmingham city Uni, should i wait for their answers before i make a decision or should i just stay on next year for definate?
you may as well just continue as you are at the moment, so don't withdraw your uni applications as they may make an offer that you can reach, and if you don't, or have a change of heart, then you always have the option of staying for the 4th year and topping up the as to an a2 and getting psych a2 aswell. for the moment probably continue concentrating on your subjects and wait to hear from the unis. you wont want to stay for the 4th year if you're going to be really unhappy and unmotivated
I'd sit back and see. If you stay on for a year and your heart isn't in it then you won't do yourself any favours. If you are set on uni this year and get the right offers then you should go. Whatever uni you get to will be great when you are there.
Thanks for the advice, i think i'll wait to see if i get any offers and what they're beore i make any decisions. If i'm not accepted anywhere i think i'll stay on a 4th year because i've lasted this long trying to get decent grades that 1 more year won't hurt, it may be embarrassing and hard but i guess it's my future i've got to think about and if doing this will get me into a decent uni then i may aswell bite the bullet and do it.