Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did C1-4 and M1 and S1 for my Maths.
    My class is doing FP1-3 for Further Maths with D1 D2 and M2.
    But we all did pretty poorly in D1 and only one person got an A in FP1 (i got a b - 72) really not happy about either of these. what the hell happened in further maths this year?

However, with an offer from Warwick I really need an A in this 1.
    Do you reckon it might be better to do S2 on my own and substitute this for FP2 or 3 since these are the hardest ones and im not likely to get a good grade in these. Just because I really need an A.
    If so which one dya reckon it might be better to drop?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah S2 will be easier than FP2 or FP3. FP2 is supposedly the hardest pure module on the edexcel syllabus, but the upside is the grade boundaries are lowered. Maybe discuss this with your teacher?

Are you retaking D1? It's tedious but from all the maths you're doing, i'm sure you are capable of getting an A with a few past papers under your belt.

Just a word of warning though, Warwick maths is oversubscribed and this year they had to let too many people in. This means they just will not budge if you miss a grade. Work hard and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    We were meant to be doing S2 rather than FP2 but because we hated stats we decided otherwise. Seems little silly now because we currently slogging through the integration chapter which is such a *****! I have no idea what I'll be getting in my further pure modules (got 63 in FP1). We have yet to start D2 and FP3

On the Warwick front, someone else can have my offer, no way I'm doing the STEP paper on top of all this other maths!

I recommend that you take FP2 and FP3. If you put them off then you will have to learn the material at Warwick anyway, and (in my opinion) it will be harder to learn the material at Warwick than in your small class at school.

ReputationRep:
    My recommendation would be to leave FP2 and take S2. My teacher says and most of the results reflect that S2 is actually easier than S1... well at least for some people... jeje, I did FP2 in two weeks, and am managing FP3 in one week, so, I think after these intense classes on Further Pure these days that FP2 is definately harder than FP3, but that varies from person to person. Like I don't mind the integration in FP2, but that's definately a pretty tough part in FP2, in FP3, all I've seen until now in matrices and the rest of the stuff, is to just apply what you've learnt, apart from the loci in complex plane FP3 is pretty much straightforward...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flimp)
    We were meant to be doing S2 rather than FP2 but because we hated stats we decided otherwise. Seems little silly now because we currently slogging through the integration chapter which is such a *****! I have no idea what I'll be getting in my further pure modules (got 63 in FP1). We have yet to start D2 and FP3

On the Warwick front, someone else can have my offer, no way I'm doing the STEP paper on top of all this other maths!
    Your post suggests you are doing the full F.Maths. Therefore you need 4 As to meet the standard offer, STEP is not necessary.

ReputationRep:
    Well, S2 is definitely easier than FP2/FP3 (and strangely enough, I found it easier than S1) - on the AQA board, you can probably knock it off in about a week if you're working hard. So if you just want an A, go for S2. On the other hand, as Lusus Naturae said you'd have to learn the FP material when you're at Warwick anyway, so you could argue that you might as well do it now for a better grounding.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but I'm just petrified I won't get an A and I'd rather get to Warwick even if I have to work harder there. Plus I've actually done the work for both modules. I just don't think I'll get A's in them. Especially as I missed an A in FP1

How are you doing in your applied modules? If you got 70,70,70 in fp1-3 but 90,90,90 in m1,m2,s1 then you could still get an A grade.

ReputationRep:
    64 in D1. But I'm gonna use D1 and 2 in my maths so thats fine
    M1-93, S1-80. So I'm gonna retake S1. And then do M2 and S2 (probably)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cat_2002_12)
    64 in D1. But I'm gonna use D1 and 2 in my maths so thats fine
    M1-93, S1-80. So I'm gonna retake S1. And then do M2 and S2 (probably)
    Dont worry about which applied modules go where, the system optimises that for you as long as you havent cashed in your A2 maths.

ReputationRep:
    Silent Ninja, I'm only doing maths, further maths and physics. Dropped my fourth a month into A2 so I would need STEP.

ReputationRep:
    fp2 is insanely hard. i failed it miserably (but i was being tutored 1 hour a week on it and hadnt done core 3 or 4), i would suggest anything but

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
Do you have a role model?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.