The Student Room Group

Gcse biology paper 1 aqa triple 2018 unoffical markscheme

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anyone123
Who found the biology exam hard?
I did- the last question 7, the whole 16 marks about Bile was hard and I found the egg cell a bit difficult as well. But the testing for carbohydrates was NOt iodine souloution
Original post by jmsk_
What do you guys get for the molecule that makes up genes? I did a stupid thing and wrote 'bases (protein molecule)' which makes no sense but desperate times.. :biggrin:

My friends are saying it was DNA molecule?

I said protein but now I'm not too sure lol
Original post by my life is a lie
what did you all write for the 6 mark cystic fibrosis question?

Pancreas produces enzymes such as lipase, protease and carbohydrase, so if this cannot be released into the small intestine food molecules cannot be broken down into smaller molecules which can be absorbed therefore glucose and nutrients cannot go into the blood and the person is unable to grow.

Alveoli are shut off so oxygen cannot enter the blood stream as sufficiently so respiring organs and tissues cannot respire as effectively, so less energy is released. Energy created by respiration is needed for synthesis reactions such as making proteins therefore the person with CF is less likely to grow.
What did you put for:

- stem cell question on lungs (4 marks)
- how to find the concentration of the solution inside the egg
Original post by lexiwilliamz
The spec says DNA so i doubt protein will get a mark. I wrote amino acids and that's probably not gonna get the mark either

don't mind as i put DNA. I had already accepted the fact that the answer was protein and I was just dumb
What did people get for the smoking question and Bile question?
Original post by Ronessi100
Do you guys think the grade boundaries will be low????

not sure but I think 65+ will a grade 7 in my opinion
Original post by Ronessi100
Do you guys think the grade boundaries will be low????

i think that the boundaries are going to be lower than they were of the mocks because this paper was harder than the one that we've got in the mocks so fingers crossed
Original post by morganelizedale
What did you put for:

- stem cell question on lungs (4 marks)
- how to find the concentration of the solution inside the egg

the egg concentration:
place each egg into different concentrations of solutions and repeat the steps the student did
the egg that didnt have a change in mass shows that the concentration of the egg must be the concentration of solution it was in.
Because if the concentrations of both the egg and the solution it was in was the same, technically no osmosis can occur because of the same concentrations, meaning the egg wouldn't gain or lose water so its mass will stay the same.

the stem cell one:
i just talked about therapeutic cloning tbh and basically using those embryonic stem cells to produce the lungs and then transplant it into the patient
Got so confused about the monoclonal antibodies one. I was like but a mouse isn't a potato ahahah feel stupid now it makes sense so annoying
Original post by annalopezf
Got so confused about the monoclonal antibodies one. I was like but a mouse isn't a potato ahahah feel stupid now it makes sense so annoying

ik how you feel
Original post by KingNish0
ik how you feel

Hopefully they'll feel kind n give me a couple marks ahahha
Original post by Madiosss23
What did people get for the smoking question and Bile question?

in all honesty i just reciprocated the experiment given in the question but adding a few bits in.

for the bile one i just said how bile emulsifies lipids into tiny droplets so to provide a bigger surface area for lipase enzymes to work on, increase rate of breakin down lipid into fatty acid and glycerol. Because fatty acid is made more quickly, test tube with bile turned colourless more quickly than without bile
Original post by morganelizedale
Pancreas produces enzymes such as lipase, protease and carbohydrase, so if this cannot be released into the small intestine food molecules cannot be broken down into smaller molecules which can be absorbed therefore glucose and nutrients cannot go into the blood and the person is unable to grow.

Alveoli are shut off so oxygen cannot enter the blood stream as sufficiently so respiring organs and tissues cannot respire as effectively, so less energy is released. Energy created by respiration is needed for synthesis reactions such as making proteins therefore the person with CF is less likely to grow.

oh my GOD I THOUGHT I WAS ********TING THANK GOD I THOUGHT I WASNT MAKING ANY SENSE
Original post by my life is a lie
in all honesty i just reciprocated the experiment given in the question but adding a few bits in.

for the bile one i just said how bile emulsifies lipids into tiny droplets so to provide a bigger surface area for lipase enzymes to work on, increase rate of breakin down lipid into fatty acid and glycerol. Because fatty acid is made more quickly, test tube with bile turned colourless more quickly than without bile

Dude exactly what I put. Great minds think alike :-)
For the graph bacteria question was it graph A or B?
Original post by trinau
Here’s ones I can remember of the top off my head [TRIPLE HIGHER]

Prevent spreading of mild salmonella: (2)
- being hygienic
- avoid contact

Potato, monoclonal antibodies: (6)
1) Inject protein of plant virus in mouse
2)Mouse makes lymphocytes against anything foreign (antigen)
3)Remove lymphocytes from mouse and choose the one with the right antibody to defend virus
4)Attach the lymphocyte chosen to a tumour cell to form hybridoma, let divide
5)Purify and collect all antibodies, lots of monoclonal antibodies to treat virus

Lack of Mg ions, stunted growth, yellow leaves: (5)
- lack of Mg2+ leads to chlorosis
- lack of chloroplasts as Mg makes chlorophyll, causes yellow leaves
- lack of chloroplasts, etc. leads to less photosynthesis
-less glucose made, less required for growth

Original post by BLICKBOI
yeah because 1gm of the calcium was 1.21 so for 1000 u needed 826cm (cubed) and for the other nitrate or mineral it was 0.009 per 1 grm so u needed like 267 so 826 - 267 = 559cm (cubed more of milk)

however you rounded to early do you think 560 would be acceptable
Reply 97
Original post by John abiodun
For the graph bacteria question was it graph A or B?

Pretty sure it was b I worked out the difference in bacteria
ahh i put A, even tho i was sure it was b, thanks anyways
Original post by Adowid1
Pretty sure it was b I worked out the difference in bacteria
Original post by jmsk_
What do you guys get for the molecule that makes up genes? I did a stupid thing and wrote 'bases (protein molecule)' which makes no sense but desperate times.. :biggrin:

My friends are saying it was DNA molecule?

I just put DNA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending