The Student Room Group

Why arent there any nordic religious terrorist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Good bloke
Of course this country is not perfect. I'm in the dark as to what you think has been proven to me before. Presumably not that the oil companies are committing a crime in buying oil from the Middle East, which you continually fail to evidence.

why should I provide evidence when I saw someone else do it before - they had a massive debate with you and they absolutely destroyed you. if you were unable to accept facts then, why would I expect you to do so now? and im pretty sure you called them a terrorist or some other ad hominem attacks after they had done so.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Maths&physics
im pretty sure you called them a terrorist or some other ad hominem attacks after they done so.

Perhaps you could link me to this debate. I can't remember calling anyone a terrorist, anywhere, or at any time.

Anyway, if you can't back up your ideas then we'll just have to leave it there.
Perhaps you could link me to this debate. I can't remember calling anyone a terrorist, anywhere, or at any time.

Anyway, if you can't back up your ideas then we'll just have to leave it there.

I can, but why waste time? I should be revising. bye.
(edited 5 years ago)
Also, ever heard of Anders Breivik? Nordic, religious, terrorist - check, check, check.

Read the title and immediately thought of Anders’s swim school...
Original post by HucktheForde
The northern europeans believe that if you die a violent death your soul will be brought to valhalla by valkyries to feast before you will be brought to fight again in ragnarok.

What they believe isnt very different from abrahamic religious terrorist who is happy to blow themselves up to go to heaven.

But you never heard of viking terrorist going on a killing rampage so that they can go to valhalla?

Anton Behring Breivik - only that was a false flag.
No I don't. However, I do believe that the secular democracies, eastern or western, are vastloy superior to any strongly religion-influenced country, and this is demonstrated all the time. They fulfil the prime function of a nation state, to protect their citizens; they give them freedoms not available elsewhere, without undue interference but in a strong legal framework that promotes good order; and they provide a sensible platform for citizens to live their lives peaceably and to develop economically. I can't see how skin colour comes into it at all.

Why do you think that the world's only secular democracies can be found in Europe and East Asia, as well as the countries/continents that were colonised by Europeans, while the majority of the Arab - and indeed Muslim - world, as well as African countries, have never had anything other than varying degrees of authoritarianism?
Original post by Stalin
Why do you think that the world's only secular democracies can be found in Europe and East Asia, as well as the countries/continents that were colonised by Europeans, while the majority of the Arab - and indeed Muslim - world, as well as African countries, have never had anything other than varying degrees of authoritarianism?

I suspect there are many factors. They all come from the same basic mediaeval level of wealth and development but the western secular democracies have historically allowed more scope for development of thought and expression, especially after the Reformation and the Enlightenment, and have not been so keen to suppress it for reasons of superstitious belief.

This has allowed societal advance, scientific endeavour and greater wealth, then universal education, which in turn has led to a reduction in religious belief, especially latterly. The Islamic idea that only a deity can rule has inhibited such societies from promulgating decent man-made law and order, I believe, which is a further burden they have not overcome, and which has meant that ideas of morality have been generally stuck in the mediaeval period and not advanced as they have in the west.

Islam is very authoritarian, and fundamentally highly resistant to change.

What is your hypothesis?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bang Outta Order
technically there are, the IRA lol

and the Vikings were terrorists, we invaded Ireland :groovy:

Irish are Celtic and Catholic. I think OP is talking about Nordic paganism.

IIRC, there was a Nordic pagan who went around firebombing churches. @Zargabaath would know.
There's some fuked up **** in both the Quran and Bible.
Original post by AngeryPenguin

IIRC, there was a Nordic pagan who went around firebombing churches. @Zargabaath would know.

My G Varg!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varg_Vikernes
Although he claims he never personally had a part in that. He was a part of the Heathen Front back in the day however, who followed Nordic Pagan beliefs mixed with ethno nationalism.

IIRC Anders Breivik also sent him a copy of his manifesto before his terror attack, which expressed very similar beliefs to that of Heathen Front.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending