The Student Room Group

Edexcel igcse biology

How did everyone find it ?
I thought it was ok but there were some iffy questions like the one on nasa and the one asking about biomass and photosynthesis
Do you know what they were asking and what the answers were?

Also, does anyone have any predictions for the grade boundaries?
Reply 3
Original post by camilaguerrero
Do you know what they were asking and what the answers were?

Also, does anyone have any predictions for the grade boundaries?

i think the grade boundaries will be high
I didnt find it hard or easy , it was quite weird to be honest really different from all the other past papers ! And barely any topics came up no heart , nothing much on breathing , no smoking , nothing on cloning etc i felt like it was just natural selection , common knowledge and a few structure questions quite weird also I have a feeling grade boundaries will be relatively high probably around 90 for A star and 130 for A star triple
Original post by Aurnobb
i think the grade boundaries will be high

Oh no... Now I'm very worried

What would be the minimum percent for an A or A*?
Reply 6
Oh no... Now I'm very worried

What would be the minimum percent for an A or A*?

aroud 135 ithink
Isn't the paper out of 120 marks? I'm doing IGCSE Biology Paper 1B
Original post by Aurnobb
aroud 135 ithink
Reply 8
Isn't the paper out of 120 marks? I'm doing IGCSE Biology Paper 1B

yeah its out of 120.
by adding both paper 1 and 2 its 180.
and out of 180 i think 135
I find biology easy as a subject, That's literally a talent of mine. Personally I found the biology paper a lot easier than previous years. There were a few trick questions such as the calculating the number of mice instead of percentage, it required you to convert the percentage to a number out of 200. The last corms questions was a weird one as the O aspect was different to what most people will have been taught. Content wise it was, in my opinion, very dull and not that challenging. I hoping paper 2 will be harder and I expect it will be to be honest. A lot of the harder topics are going to be in paper 2 which might make time an issue for people as well. Anyway guys hope you did well! Good luck for paper 2! If anyone has any biology related questions in general or about the paper don't be afraid to dm me!
Original post by Aurnobb
yeah its out of 120.
by adding both paper 1 and 2 its 180.
and out of 180 i think 135

So if you only take paper 1, what would be the minimum marks for an A and A*?
Original post by Shailen2064
I find biology easy as a subject, That's literally a talent of mine. Personally I found the biology paper a lot easier than previous years. There were a few trick questions such as the calculating the number of mice instead of percentage, it required you to convert the percentage to a number out of 200. The last corms questions was a weird one as the O aspect was different to what most people will have been taught. Content wise it was, in my opinion, very dull and not that challenging. I hoping paper 2 will be harder and I expect it will be to be honest. A lot of the harder topics are going to be in paper 2 which might make time an issue for people as well. Anyway guys hope you did well! Good luck for paper 2! If anyone has any biology related questions in general or about the paper don't be afraid to dm me!

i feel pretty similarly, biology is one of my best subjects and i had been getting percents in the high nineties in mocks and stuff, however i actually found the exam this year a lot harder than the past papers and im pretty disappointed. some parts, like the parts that were actually on biology lmao, i found pretty easy, but the math questions (maybe just because im terrible at math lmao) i found pretty hard and also the ones where you literally didnt have to have any knowledge of biology to do. like the painted mice and most of the mitosis question. what did you say for the question about how scientists find it hard to find the rate of mitosis or whatever it was called?
So if you only take paper 1, what would be the minimum marks for an A and A*?

last year it was like 68% for a star which is like 81 marks. im sure it will be around that. i doubt the grade boundaries will be higher than last year, it seemed the same difficulty or possibly even harder to me.
Original post by yoongles
i feel pretty similarly, biology is one of my best subjects and i had been getting percents in the high nineties in mocks and stuff, however i actually found the exam this year a lot harder than the past papers and im pretty disappointed. some parts, like the parts that were actually on biology lmao, i found pretty easy, but the math questions (maybe just because im terrible at math lmao) i found pretty hard and also the ones where you literally didnt have to have any knowledge of biology to do. like the painted mice and most of the mitosis question. what did you say for the question about how scientists find it hard to find the rate of mitosis or whatever it was called?

Hey So I noticed there were a lot more maths questions than usual. One of them for the clay mice was kinda of a trick. It asked for the number of mice so you had to get a number out of 200 mice from I believe 75% and another value. so 75%x200 etc. Then subtract and you got an answer. For the mitotic rate I put it is difficult as mitosis can happen quickly. You need an electron microscope and something else I forgot what I put down
Original post by Shailen2064
Hey So I noticed there were a lot more maths questions than usual. One of them for the clay mice was kinda of a trick. It asked for the number of mice so you had to get a number out of 200 mice from I believe 75% and another value. so 75%x200 etc. Then subtract and you got an answer. For the mitotic rate I put it is difficult as mitosis can happen quickly. You need an electron microscope and something else I forgot what I put down

for the mice i got 94 since it said calculate the number of mice and the graph was in %. for the mitosis i think i said something similar like that but idk if it was enough to get the mark :/ and smth about how mitosis can start in other cells randomly so its hard to get an accurate result but i was just pullin stuff out my ass at that point
Yea 94 that's correct, I think I put you cannot know how many cells you will smash which can change the rate.

Quick Reply

Latest