In need of advice. Watch

Laura182
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
I'm in my second year at sixth form doing A levels in Sociology, Psychology and Film studies, did History AS level last year too. Got grades ABBC, which I was pretty pleased with.
I had aspirations of getting into a decent uni, if i maintained my grades, to study sociology or psychology.
Unfortunately, this year it has all been going down the drain. I have awful teachers in both sociology and psychology, and i now despise the lessons, especially psychology, and as a result my attendance has slipped considerably, because I don't even feel like the lessons are worth going in for.
Yesterday I got my results for the January exams back, and they weren't good, I got a U in sociology (which I got an A in last year), a D in psychology, and a B in film studies.
I really don't know what to do now, with the grades I'm going to get I won't be able to get into a decent uni (I didn't apply this year as I was unsure from near the beginning of the year if I'd be able to maintain my grades) so I guess these are my options:

Drop out of sixth form now, because I have no motivation in psychology or sociology anymore and am not enjoying it at all. Only problem with that is I don't like the idea of wasting the work I've done this year in film as I'm doing well in that subject and enjoy it. So maybe just stop attending sociology & psych (As they won't let me continue at the college doing less than 2 subjects, i don't think, so I can't officially drop them)

Carry on with all 3 subjects... This would be pretty hard for me to do, especially with sociology as I'll have to retake the exam I got a U in, which I don't want to do as I'm sure I won't do any better, and as I've said I now hate those 2 subjects so much that I have no motivation in them.

If I drop out I might consider retaking the whole of A2 next year, but I'm really not sure I could do that because I'm hating college at the moment, although maybe if I got good teachers I wouldn't mind too much and be able to get similar grades to last year, in which case I'd probably go to uni.

If I don't retake I'll probably just look for a full time job and at least I'll have my decent AS grades to put on my CV.
I'm really confused about what to do! Please help! :confused:
Petit chou
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I say carry on with the year, complete film studies, sit the psych and socio exams just to say you did and then retake your 2nd year. I was in the exact same position as you last year and had no motivation and hated being at college, after a decent summer and alot of thought i went back and did sociology again and raised my grades to Bs. You just need to get in the right frame of mind to want to do well and though you could try and work hard now i don't think it would make too much of a difference as you don't have the motivation.
Laura182
Rep:
?
Thanks for the advice,
Thing is, if I'm going to retake the year anyway, I really don't like the idea of carrying on with the subjects now for no reason, i just hate them that much! lol
so i guess its a choice between: No A2 grades, rubbish A2 grades, or retake A2 in september
Petit chou
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you don't want to sit the exams tell your teacher to pull you out of the last module but allow you to sit in on lessons (basically meaning you don't really have to turn up but your still on the register) that way you can finish film studies, someone in my sociology class is doing this. I recommend you to re-take it next year and ask if you can be put into the classes of the teachers you think make the subject interesting.
Laura182
Rep:
?
Thinking about it, I have decided the best thing will probably be to carry on with film studies and withdraw from the exams for the other 2 if thats allowed, and then consider retaking psychology and sociology next September, which I think will be more bearable as its only 2 subjects, and I'll request not to get either of those teachers again lol, then if it happens to not work out I'll just drop out again and look for a full time job.
littlejohno :)
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
TURN IT AROUND

GET YOUR MOTIVATION BACK.
your obviously bright to have achieved good as results in challenging subject. I have some bad teachers but i still get the grades... it may be unfair but you have to put in the extra work outside of class.

work hard on your own,
resit those exams,
its not impossible.
please do this for yourself.

you wont be the only one achieving bad grades in your class if its the teachers fault, so think how GREAT you will feel after you have amazing grades because you've done it youself and the rest of the class have to put their life on hold whilst they redo or drop out.

dont drop out. You had an ambition to become something and ot go to a top uni.
DONT LET THOSE BAD TEACHERS RUIN NOT ONLY YOUR LOVE FOR THE SUBJECT BUT YOUR LIFE TOO.
it will change everything if you drop out, or stop going to the lessons. It will change everything for the worse.

work hard, retake, achieve and carry on with your life.
You sound capable.

i think this is a lesson, somethign you have to learn. You can't depend on others, even though you should be able to depend on the teachers, but you have to get these grades yourself. And work hard, find an interesting way to learn this. Outside of class, the internet , some good books. It is possible. go for it!!!!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (282)
27.35%
No (749)
72.65%

Watched Threads