Turn on thread page Beta

M1 - Help thread watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else doing M1?
    Has anyone sat the exam previously,? How did you find it? Any main tips?

Those studying it now, how have you found the topics so far?

M1 is a brilliant module, although it can be quite hard if you don't get your head around the key concepts.

Tips - check, double check, triple check, and check again your workings and diagrams. A "sin" instead of a "cos", the omittal of a force or a simple calculator error can give you the completely wrong answer.

ReputationRep:
    if this is a help thread can someone help me with the triangle questions in m1 where we have to work out resultants and friction and tension etc, i really can't understand it from the book and my teacher is going too fast, any worked step by step example would be great!
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    specify the q u have in mind please - ill try help if i can.....

ReputationRep:
    I hate mechanics.... I did M1 last year and got a D in the module, but then resitted it this jan and got an A somehow. I think you just have to do enough past papers and example questions until you crack it. It will suddenly quick (although possibly a bit too late for me, but it worked out in the end!)
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    lol this jan I knew i had done badly and did

Everyone finds some topics easy and others harder

(Original post by gj3)
    if this is a help thread can someone help me with the triangle questions in m1 where we have to work out resultants and friction and tension etc, i really can't understand it from the book and my teacher is going too fast, any worked step by step example would be great!
    If you give me an example of the kind of question you have in mind, I'd be happy to help

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys

Heres one:

A parcel of weight 10 N lies on a rough plane inclined at an angle of 30* to the horizontal. A horizontal force of magnitude P newton acts on a parcel. The parcel is in equilibrium and on the point of slipping up the plane. The normal reaction of the plance on the parcel is 18 N. The coefficent of friction between the parcel and the plane if u.

Find the value of P?

Find the value of u?

The horizontal force is removed determine whether or not the parcel moves?

(Original post by gj3)
    thanks guys

Heres one:

A parcel of weight 10 N lies on a rough plane inclined at an angle of 30* to the horizontal. A horizontal force of magnitude P newton acts on a parcel. The parcel is in equilibrium and on the point of slipping up the plane. The normal reaction of the plance on the parcel is 18 N. The coefficent of friction between the parcel and the plane if u.

Find the value of P?

Find the value of u?

The horizontal force is removed determine whether or not the parcel moves?
    Draw a diagram, labelling the horizontal force, the weight, the normal reaction and the frictional force (which will be acting down the plane, as the parcel is about to slip up the plane). Then you can resolve the forces and remember that the resultant force is going to be in 0, as the parcel is in equilibrium.

For the second part, remember F=uR?

The third part, draw a separate diagram like the first, except without the horizontal force (and the friction will be acting in the other direction).

ReputationRep:
    could you explain the above first part further, what i mean is that i don't have a great understanding of how to exactly put forces into resultants etc.

I've drawn a little diagram for you, detailing all of the forces acting on the parcel, which is attached.

If I now told to you resolve perpendicular to the plane, would you know what to do?

EDIT: forgot to include on my diagram that R = 18 N.
    Attached Images

• PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    by my poor mathematical calculations, I get:

1.....18-Psin30-10cos30=0
    therefore P=18.67949 or so

2.....Pcos30-F-10sin30=0
    therefore F=11.1769

3.....F=uR
    so 11.1769=18u
    therefore u=0.621 (3sf)

ReputationRep:
    A small ring if mass 0.25 is threaded on a fixed rough horizontal rod. The ring is pulled upwards by a light string which makes an angle 40 with the horizontal. The string and the rod are in the same vertical plane. The tension in the string is 1.2n and the cof is U. Given that the ring is in limiting equilibrium find the normal reaction? And find U?

I get the first as 2.38N?

and the second as 0.38
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    again do the same as i did.... I'm a bit busy right now but I'll see if you're right a bit later on.

ReputationRep:
    so my answer is wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sohanshah)
    by my poor mathematical calculations, I get:

1.....18-Psin30-10cos30=0
    therefore P=18.67949 or so

2.....Pcos30-F-10sin30=0
    therefore F=11.1769

3.....F=uR
    so 11.1769=18u
    therefore u=0.621 (3sf)
    I got 1) = 18+Psin30-10sin60=0 I get the same asnwer but negative :confused:

• PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    (Original post by M.A.H)
    I got 1) = 18+Psin30-10sin60=0 I get the same asnwer but negative :confused:

U have done 18+ instead of 18-
    Look at your own diagram... the 2 forces are going in opposite directions so its a minus

or u cud do -18+ etc and switch all the signs round
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    I believe you are wrong gj3

I get R=1.67865

and u=0.548
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    and I arrive at that by doing....

1.....F=1.2cos40
    F=0.91925

2.....R+1.2sin40=(0.25g) where g is gravity i.e 9.8 on earth
    R=1.67865

3.....F=uR
    u=0.5467 etc...
    • PS Reviewer

PS Reviewer
    btw MAH can you tell me how u got it to show a picture form your computer... what do i do to do the same

Thnx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 16, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Equations

Best calculators for A level Maths

Tips on which model to get

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.