The Student Room Group

Gcse aqa biology 2018

am i the only one who found hard? even some of the one markers were tricky imo. also what did everyone get for the 6 marker where you had to design an experiment to do with the heart rate of smokers and non smokers after exercise?
I don't want to sound cocky, but I found that way easier than any of the mocks that we done. To be fair, I have only ever got grade 7's and that was with revision for the mocks, but for these actual GCSE's, I've been doing no revision, and I am not stressed or worried at all, which is bugging me.

The only question that I found mildly complicating, was the one with the milk per 500ml and the adult average recommended...
It was phrased so oddly that I couldn't work it out.

Anyway, for your question; this was surprisingly not too "biology" after all, I'd say it's more common sense. Not to offend you. I said

Get a group of 10 people, 5 smokers and 5 non-smokers
Pair them up in terms of age, for example, one 20 year old non smoker and one 20 year old smoker, one 50 year old non smoker and one 50 year old smoker and so on
I then said I'd measure all of their resting heart rates
Then I would make them all do the same exercise for 5 minutes straight (running)
I said I'd attach a machine to all of them that measured their heart rate each minute
I would then collect their final heart rates after 5 minutes
I would then do the exact same experiment the following day, and the day after
Then I would calculate a mean for each individual in each pair
And plot the results on a graph.
After going back on it, I added "it is important to make sure that the smokers had all been smoking since 18 years of age, or else you could get a "smoker" that had been smoking for only 5 years that was 50 years old, and that would affect the final result.
Hope this helped, not saying it's 6/6 but it's what I put

Original post by ki.0202
am i the only one who found hard? even some of the one markers were tricky imo. also what did everyone get for the 6 marker where you had to design an experiment to do with the heart rate of smokers and non smokers after exercise?
I talked about how you would get a large sample size of smokers and non smokers , they must be all ages, races and genders to reduce bias (I hope this makes sense) and have them all do the same amount of excercise for the same amount of time and compare the heart rates of the smokers and non smokers , whilst excercising
Reply 3
Original post by ki.0202

finally someone who felt the same. i found the mocks and specimen papers much more easier
Reply 4
Oh neil, i messed that question up that
Reply 5
Original post by Pythonite
I don't want to sound cocky, but I found that way easier than any of the mocks that we done. To be fair, I have only ever got grade 7's and that was with revision for the mocks, but for these actual GCSE's, I've been doing no revision, and I am not stressed or worried at all, which is bugging me.

The only question that I found mildly complicating, was the one with the milk per 500ml and the adult average recommended...
It was phrased so oddly that I couldn't work it out.

Anyway, for your question; this was surprisingly not too "biology" after all, I'd say it's more common sense. Not to offend you. I said

Get a group of 10 people, 5 smokers and 5 non-smokers
Pair them up in terms of age, for example, one 20 year old non smoker and one 20 year old smoker, one 50 year old non smoker and one 50 year old smoker and so on
I then said I'd measure all of their resting heart rates
Then I would make them all do the same exercise for 5 minutes straight (running)
I said I'd attach a machine to all of them that measured their heart rate each minute
I would then collect their final heart rates after 5 minutes
I would then do the exact same experiment the following day, and the day after
Then I would calculate a mean for each individual in each pair
And plot the results on a graph.
After going back on it, I added "it is important to make sure that the smokers had all been smoking since 18 years of age, or else you could get a "smoker" that had been smoking for only 5 years that was 50 years old, and that would affect the final result.
Hope this helped, not saying it's 6/6 but it's what I put

Yeah, the biology exam was mainly from common sense. I didn't do AQA but Edexcel and the second question was to Explain the function of a gastric band (something like that) and a lot of people complained, including me, because it's not even part of the spec. :/ But my teachers said now they're testing you on common sense, making it more confusing like that.
Reply 6
Original post by ki.0202
am i the only one who found hard? Even some of the one markers were tricky imo. Also what did everyone get for the 6 marker where you had to design an experiment to do with the heart rate of smokers and non smokers after exercise?

what was the answer please

Quick Reply

Latest