language GCSES Watch

cj9900
Badges: 0
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
i don't know which language GCSE to Do im good at French but ive got a choice of
Japanese
French
Arabic
Spanish
Russian

im good at all of them except Spanish what should i choose

thanxs
lincs_b
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd go for Japanese or French but it depends what you plan on doing later in life.
kiss_me_now9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Japanese is what I'd pick, or Russian. Always good to get a change of alphabet somewhere!
Miss Mary
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I was about to say Spanish until I read you are not good at it, lol. So I'd say you should study French, because it is an important language, and quite easy to learn.
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd kill to be able to speak Japanese or Russian.
cookiemonster101
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If you're located in Dubai (and planning to staying in the Middle East), Arabic seems like a sensible option. Otherwise Spanish.
Chriz M
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
French is a safer option; you have done it before, and there is plenty of online help.
Llamaaa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'd say French because it's a useful language and you don't have to learn a whole new alphabet
LeeHyori
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Japanese/Arabic/Russian - interesting (only do it if you are willing to learn a new script)
French - the classic IGCSE language, lol . . . do it if you want to go to/are interested in France, French CUisine . . .
Spanish - Kinda similar to above, umm . . . do it if you want to go to/are interested in the US/Spain e.t.c

Basically, do the one you will enjoy! That's the best thing you can do - from your list am doing IGCSE Japanese and French
SaveItForTheMorning
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
If I had that kind of choice I'd do one with a different alphabet.. think about the number of people who have studied French, German, Spanish etc.. and then Russian, Japanese. Speaking a language like Russian, Japanese, Mandarin, Greek etc. just looks impressive, in my opinion because it's not the sort of thing that everyone can do.
davedave4619
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
French will be one of the easiest languages there to gain fluency in as it is so similar to English. If you have any intention of working for the EU then French is necessary along with German. French is spoken all over the world. Possibly one of the most directly useful considering we're probably going to to end up in the United States of Europe.
Nimbus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Japanese, French or Spanish, personally I would go for Spanish or japanese as too many people are doing french and there is a shortage of people who do japanese, spanish, german, italian (and the list goes on..).

But it's really up to you.
LeeHyori
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by davedave4619)
French will be one of the easiest languages there to gain fluency in as it is so similar to English. If you have any intention of working for the EU then French is necessary along with German. French is spoken all over the world. Possibly one of the most directly useful considering we're probably going to to end up in the United States of Europe.
French is not actually similar to English at all. Well, one can argue that it is more similar to English, compared to those languages with a different alphabet ~
Nimbus
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Harun)

French is not actually similar to English at all. Well, one can argue that it is more similar to English, compared to those languages with a different alphabet ~
I think French is the language which I, along with many others found the grammar to be extremely easy. But ended up taking german at the end of year 9 instead as I enjoyed studying german more.
SaveItForTheMorning
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I don't agree that French is similar to english.. the grammar is quite simple but actually vocabularly etc, isn't really similar..
Origami Bullets
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I always found German a lot easier than French - 70% of the words come directly from English ("Ich surfe und chatte im Internet")

However, I'd say French as you don't have to learn a whole new alphabet and you say you're good at it.
chrisORANGE
Report 10 years ago
I've heard that Japanese can be very advantageous. Just think, there's probably a much larger number of current French translators than Japanese translators in the world. It's difficult to learn because of the new characters and alphabet, but I'm sure this would be very profitable!
Sifr
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm doing Arabic!
Its an awesomme language and easy to learn - go for Arabic.
Shask
Report 10 years ago
Do Russian.
SAZZY12345
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
i'd say french, only because i love it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1205)
79.59%
Leave (309)
20.41%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise