Turn on thread page Beta
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    So are exam reforms creating more stress for students? Or are there other explanations?

This is what the Dof E said earlier:
    https://dfemedia.blog.gov.uk/2018/05...y-15-may-2018/

Do lack of resit opportunities mean there's just one chance or you blow it?
    Do linear exams create more pressure over a very short period of time?
    Is there more pressure from teachers because of performance measures in schools and colleges?
    Maybe it's changing attitudes to well-being creating greater awareness of stress-related problems?
    Or is there a crisis of resilience?

I've heard all of these explanations over the last few weeks.

Would love to know what TSR users think.

ReputationRep:
    Student stress is gonna happen anyway. Unless we abolish exams altogether and have a system where everyone gets to the uni/job of their choice. Not suggesting that's a good idea, tho.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Learn Ranger)
    So are exam reforms creating more stress for students? Or are there other explanations?

This is what the Dof E said earlier:
    https://dfemedia.blog.gov.uk/2018/05...y-15-may-2018/

Do lack of resit opportunities mean there's just one chance or you blow it?
    Do linear exams create more pressure over a very short period of time?
    Is there more pressure from teachers because of performance measures in schools and colleges?
    Maybe it's changing attitudes to well-being creating greater awareness of stress-related problems?
    Or is there a crisis of resilience?

I've heard all of these explanations over the last few weeks.

Would love to know what TSR users think.
    It basically heightens everything, stress for kids, when teachers, as all the content has to be squeezed into one exam, with no coursework to soothe the pain. It's worse for me as my school does 2 gcses in yr 9 and 10 and 11 with doing our English, maths and sciences in year 11. So, with me for example, the whole ICT and new French course had to be squeezed into under a year of education.
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I think a smoother transition form the A*-G grades to the now 9-1 grades should have been implemented. For example, last year's Yr 11 cohort were just introduced to the new system in their final year. They also only had ONE set of specimen papers to practice on and NO specification - tailored questions to answer.

Dfe should have introduced it to the Yr 10 cohort not the Yr 11 cohort as it really did complicate things and is still complicating things a year on

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.