How do you transfer your belongings at the end of term? Watch

Poll: How do you transfer your belongings at the end of term?
I leave my belongings in storage at university. (3)
5.17%
I leave my belongings in storage elsewhere. (4)
6.9%
I live in private acommodation so I keep my stuff there all year round. (5)
8.62%
I go to university in my home city, so I still live at home. (0)
0%
I transport my belongings in my own car. (3)
5.17%
Someone comes to pick me and my belongings up. (35)
60.34%
I take my belongings on public transport by myself. (5)
8.62%
I take my belongings on public transport with the aid of a friend/relative. (1)
1.72%
Other (please state). (2)
3.45%
*pitseleh*
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Well, the question is in the title. If you can be bothered, please make a post stating which university you go to, and how far your permanent home is from that university.
difzal
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
In my first year, I lived in college, and my dad kindly loaded the car and drove me up - it's about two hours up the A1 (or less if you drive like he does!). Helped a lot, especially getting my boxes of books and stuff up three flights of stairs - I couldn't have managed that alone.
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
^ This is the thing. I'm partly asking because I'm nosy, but partly asking because I'm considering Durham as my insurance, and I don't relish the prospect of carting stuff back and forth to South Wales from the north of England. I travel light, but I'm sure I'll acquire a fair number of new books in the first term alone etc.. so yes, I was just wondering how other people cope over various distances from home. Thanks for your input.
*Star*Guitar*
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'm at MMU and living in Manchester Student Village. I was considering moving to other private halls but decided to stick with MSV for next year, and managed to put a deposit down on the flat next door (the floor I'm on has the only decent flats imo!!)
So it'll be mint - just moving my stuff two metres into the next door's flat next year! Which is a relief 'cause I pretty much moved out of home at the start of the year and so all my stuff is with me, which is A LOT :p:
loopymeg
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
You forgot to include the option "I live in halls and I'm allowed to stay there during the break"

However, I'm in private accommodation this year. I'll either pack some stuff and take it with me on the train, or I'll trick a parent into collecting me if I've got a lot to take home (which is about 100 miles away).
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
(Original post by loopymeg)
You forgot to include the option "I live in halls and I'm allowed to stay there during the break"

However, I'm in private accommodation this year. I'll either pack some stuff and take it with me on the train, or I'll trick a parent into collecting me if I've got a lot to take home (which is about 100 miles away).
Ack, darn it - I knew I would forget to include at least one option. How annoying!

Thanks for the input though - you too, Kennah.
Anth
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by difzal)
I'm at uni in Durham, and I'm from Huddersfield.

In my first year, though, I lived in college, and my dad kindly loaded the car and drove me up - it's about two hours up the A1 (or less if you drive like he does!). Helped a lot, especially getting my boxes of books and stuff up three flights of stairs - I couldn't have managed that alone.
Pretty much the same for me in reverse - I'm from Peterlee (Co. Durham) and am at uni in Huddersfield
difzal
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
OP: there are people who manage it (one of my coursemates is from S. Wales and he goes home at the holidays), either through willing parents or student-possessions-haulage companies - there'll probably be a few of those advertised during Freshers' Week.

Anth: Wow, awesome. If it wasn't my home town, I wouldn't mind being a student in the Hud - the accomodation looks a lot shinier than what we get!
hwyaden
Report 10 years ago
err I'm at Queen's Belfast but halls let you stay during holidays, which is great because I've managed to accumulate an impressive amount of stuff during the year! SW wales is 300 miles and a hell of a long drive away haha... But it's great because found a really really nice house for next year (putting an offer in) and the lease starts the 15th July. We're all from over the sea, except one and she's from Kerry way down south so all we need is find storage/someone's garage for that month after halls chucks us out and we're sorted!

House-hunting is exciting!!
Kater Murr
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
I'll be at Bristol, and I live about an hour beyond Hull. So, I won't be getting a lift to uni. You should look into transport/delivery services; buy a trunk, put all your stuff in it, and have it delivered for approx. a tenner or so.

*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kater Murr)
I'll be at Bristol, and I live about an hour beyond Hull. So, I won't be getting a lift to uni. You should look into transport/delivery services; buy a trunk, put all your stuff in it, and have it delivered for approx. a tenner or so.

Are you serious? Can it really be that cheap? Where?!

And a collective thank-you to everyone who has voted and posted!
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by *pitseleh*)
Are you serious? Can it really be that cheap? Where?!

And a collective thank-you to everyone who has voted and posted!
I think it was £8.99 on a site I found once, but that was a maximum load of 25kg, which is unlikely if you send them in a trunk, so it could end up being more expensive. I still need to do my own research, though, I can't remember the name/address... . Tell me if you find anything, though, because it's going to be my method too!
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
I think it was £8.99 on a site I found once, but that was a maximum load of 25kg, which is unlikely if you send them in a trunk, so it could end up being more expensive. I still need to do my own research, though, I can't remember the name/address... . Tell me if you find anything, though, because it's going to be my method too!
Will do! I looked on one well-known courier site last night (can't remember which one it was.. maybe Parcel Force?) and it came to something terrifying like over £100 to ship three boxes.

I'm also considering Big Yellow Storage - you can rent a space that's 9 sq.ft for four weeks for £16, which I thought was pretty good. I could easily fit all my excess belongings in that sort of space.
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Will do! I looked on one well-known courier site last night (can't remember which one it was.. maybe Parcel Force?) and it came to something terrifying like over £100 to ship three boxes.

I'm also considering Big Yellow Storage - you can rent a space that's 9 sq.ft for four weeks for £16, which I thought was pretty good. I could easily fit all my excess belongings in that sort of space.
But how will you get it down there in the first place? Never mind Durham, Wales - - Oxford is quite a trek anyway, isn't it?
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago

Allfreight is good. It's 25 pounds for delivery/collection plus 2 pounds per teacarton per week.
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
But how will you get it down there in the first place? Never mind Durham, Wales - - Oxford is quite a trek anyway, isn't it?
Well, I may be able to steal one lift at the beginning of the academic year, and in the holidays I'll just have to find my own way. But if I'm not able to get the lift, my boyfriend has kindly offered to come with me on the train and help carry my stuff, as there won't be too much stuff for two people to handle. Do you maybe have a friend or relative who could accompany you via public transport?

(Original post by no hero in her sky)
Allfreight is good. It's 25 pounds for delivery/collection plus 2 pounds per teacarton per week.
Brilliant! Thank-you very much - that's enormously helpful.
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
Well, I may be able to steal one lift at the beginning of the academic year, and in the holidays I'll just have to find my own way. But if I'm not able to get the lift, my boyfriend has kindly offered to come with me on the train and help carry my stuff, as there won't be too much stuff for two people to handle. Do you maybe have a friend or relative who could accompany you via public transport?
No - most of my relatives aren't very good at being relatives, and my friends have their own universities to get to. I might be able to make Pater feel guilty enough to pay for the delivery costs, though, so all will be yet well .
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
No - most of my relatives aren't very good at being relatives, and my friends have their own universities to get to. I might be able to make Pater feel guilty enough to pay for the delivery costs, though, so all will be yet well .
That's the spirit! My pa is too poor, so the delivery costs will fall on me (not literally, I hope). But yes, we will work these things out somehow - and if I can manage to get the thing dne for £25, I will be a happy bunny.
Kater Murr
Rep:
?
Report 10 years ago
That's the spirit! My pa is too poor, so the delivery costs will fall on me (not literally, I hope). But yes, we will work these things out somehow - and if I can manage to get the thing dne for £25, I will be a happy bunny.
www.parcel2go.com

This is the one I was thinking of - strict limits on weight and size, but it seems to be the best value out there. It's probably the one I'll use .
*pitseleh*
Rep:
?
www.parcel2go.com

This is the one I was thinking of - strict limits on weight and size, but it seems to be the best value out there. It's probably the one I'll use .
Yay! I shall rep you tomorrow (I've already repped NHIHS) for this, yes yes. Thank-you muchos!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Brunel University London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?