Turn on thread page Beta

How do you transfer your belongings at the end of term? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: How do you transfer your belongings at the end of term?
    I leave my belongings in storage at university.
    5.17%
    I leave my belongings in storage elsewhere.
    6.90%
    I live in private acommodation so I keep my stuff there all year round.
    8.62%
    I go to university in my home city, so I still live at home.
    0%
    I transport my belongings in my own car.
    5.17%
    Someone comes to pick me and my belongings up.
    60.34%
    I take my belongings on public transport by myself.
    8.62%
    I take my belongings on public transport with the aid of a friend/relative.
    1.72%
    Other (please state).
    3.45%

ReputationRep:
    Well im at durham, and my dad drives me and all my stuff home at the start and end of terms (i live in milton keynes)
    At christmas a group of my friends, about 6, bought extended let on a room, abuot £20 each to store stuff, then took the rest of their belongings back on the train.

ReputationRep:
    Im not sure what option to choose
    Over Christmas/Easter Ill be leaving my stuff in room and kitchen as my contract length covers uni holidays too. Im in halls, not private accommodation.

When I do take stuff home, Im lucky enough to have my own car which I use to transport things back and forth.

I go to University of Leicester and live 2.5-3 hours away from my permenant home

ReputationRep:
    Last semester I left some here and took some home. At the end of the year I'm gonna chuck most of it in our new house up here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Durham... at the start of the year my mother kindly drove me and all my bazillions of possessions up here (from south coast), and my accommodation covers Christmas and Easter so everything can stay here then, but I don't know what I'm going to do at the end of the year. I guess my stuff will either end up a) in storage b) at my friends' house or c) in my own private accommodation if I go for it. I'm hoping for the latter (though I'll have to borrow someone with a car...). I suppose there is also option d) stick the essentials into a backpack and get rid of the rest, which is probably the best idea but so not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I was the only one who was getting really concerned with this well in advance. Short terms probably make it all the more fun. Still, could be worse... what do internationals at Oxbridge do?

Now I'm in a house I leave most stuff there all year but still have to get my dad to give me lift home for the holidays with all my clothes, laptop, work, bedding, towels etc. Not sure how it will work to come home in the summer. The weekend that term ends when my contract runs out is the same weekend I go to France with uni on a trip so I won't be going home. Going to have to get my parents to come down on the thursday, take all my stuff home except what I need for France and then sleep in an empty room for a night with no bedding or anything.

ReputationRep:
    I'm about 250 miles away. My parents drove my things up here and they'll be driving me home at the end of the year. Feel quite guilty because it's a lot of petrol!

When I went home for christmas I just took a rucksack full of clothes and my laptop on the train so that wasn't a problem.

Luckily I can keep everything else in my room between terms and over easter.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by cerise)
    I thought I was the only one who was getting really concerned with this well in advance. Short terms probably make it all the more fun. Still, could be worse... what do internationals at Oxbridge do?
    Put their stuff in storage or in a friend's house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cerise)
    Haha.. well, I assumed most students would get lifts from their parents (and judging by the poll results so far, that seems to be about right).. but I can't really expect that kind of help from my parents anymore, so I thought I'd better have a think about how manageable the whole thing will be on my own!

Hope you figure something out. What college are you going to be at, anyway?

ReputationRep:
    My accommodation allows me to keep belongings in my room during holidays; but I know people who have to move all their crap out at the end of every term much their dismay.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have to completely empty my room for the holidays, but I do take a big suitcase full of clothes books etc that I wouldn't be prepared to manage on the train.
    So my Daddy comes to pick me up
    I go to Exeter Uni and live near Bath, so its not far to drive really.

ReputationRep:
    I live in university, and have done since 2006, all year round. Easiest that way!

ReputationRep:
    I go to Imperial - A good couple of hours away from southampton.

So far I've tended to just cram it all into two suitcases and then try to drag it to the tube, then to the national rail connection, then back. Mission.

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully I'll be driving and have my own car my the summer, so that will be my choice come september.

ReputationRep:
    I intend to get my parents to do the luggage trip at the start/end of year; leave most of my things in halls over breaks. Lincoln/Aberdeen isn't the type of journey you can do twice (there/back) in a day.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to bring all my stuff back home, because you can't move into a house til august/september time. I live in Oxford but go to uni in Cambridge, I can bring some things home on the coach but the rest will be picked up by my dad at some point.

ReputationRep:
    My home is 2 hours from my uni, My dad managed to fit all my stuff, myself, my mum and him in the car to get there. God knows how but when leaving my mum managed to fit everything including me (sitting on my bedding) into her little VW Polo.

ReputationRep:
    I'm at Bristol and live in Nottingham. We're allowed to leave our stuff at uni during the holidays but at the end of the year my parents will come and help me move out.

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Buckingham
    Open Evening Undergraduate
    Thu, 13 Dec '18
  • University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.