Turn on thread page Beta

York, Bangor, Loughborough and Royal Holloway. Where do I go??? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Please help, I've been trying to decide which university to go to, for months now, to do psychology. I went to the open days and have looked on almost every university guide known to man. This is what I have concluded:

York (AAB) - highest in league tables, very pretty place and an ok course.

Loughborough (AAB) - best course ever, not amazing in other respects

Bangor (300 points) - best psychology department, very nice place to live

Royal Holloway (ABB) - best place to live, pretty good course

I also got an offer from Leicester, but I don't really want to go there.

I don't know what to pick as my firm or insurance choice. I am completely and utterly stuck. Please give me advice!

ReputationRep:
    I'd say Loughborough and Bangor if you don't care about the uni's rep. Or, I'd rather say York and RHUL if you care about rep. So maybe York + Loughborough or RHUL + Bangor or York + Bangor and RHUL + Loughborough. But in all cases, I think the best thing to do is to visit unis, and see on which your heart will be set.

ReputationRep:
    i'd do york firm and rhul insurance

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxxchrisxxx)
    i'd do york firm and rhul insurance
    I'd agree. Bangor and Loughborough are pretty much in the middle of nowhere, whereas York is a respectably sized town and RHUL is reasonably close to London.

York & RHUL easily beat Loughborough and Bangor on both reputation and location.

ReputationRep:
    If the course is really amazing, then Loughborough firm. If not, York. Then RHUL insurance.

I would say York but you said the course is only "ok". The course is what counts, really. York has an excellent reputation and standard of teaching so I cannot imagine you not liking it (unless the course does not focus on what you are interested in). Prestige isn't everything. I made the mistake of applying to Nottingham for that reason; although I didn't get in, I was annoyed that I didn't go for the more appealing course at a not so high-ranking university.

Loughborough isn't bad. Don't base your decision on league tables!

I would firm Loughborough and have either York or Royal Holloway as your insurance. Make sure you visit all of them before you make up your mind! Most people I have spoken to have known where they want to go after they have had a taste of what life is like at a particular uni i.e. the atmosphere of the university/campus, lecturers, city etc.

ReputationRep:
    I would disagree that the course is the most important deciding factor, (although it is important.) I think you need to choose the place where you will feel happiest.
    Because you can tolerate a less than perfect course if the rest is good, but a great course will not make up for general misery if you have grotty accommodation, no social life and you feel like you can't wait to get out of the place.
    Go with your heart, but don't ignore your head altogether!

ReputationRep:
    Lol seems were quite different, I went to Bangor and thought it was bloody awful, whereas I (obviously) thought Leicester was lovely.
    Bangor has a Good psych dept but I couldnt have ever lived there, would have driven my nuts & id have had thighs like a bloke.
    If youve been to open days surely you got a feel for the places? where did you feel most comfortable or where could you see yourself living for 3 years? As courses have to be BPS accreddited you will get the same basics everywhere, so in my opinion that comes second to where you would be happy to live.

ReputationRep:
    Guys, thank you loads for this, it's definitely made me consider factors which I hadn't really thought about.

ReputationRep:
    Reputationwise (overall) - Loughborough wins, followed by York, Royal Holloway then Bangor

Coursewise - York wins, followed by RH, then Lboro then Bangor.

Definatly firm Loughborough or York thats all I can say.

ReputationRep:
    I know that the Psychology department at Bangor is meant to be like second to none and it is a beautiful place...

I take it you are predicted higher than BBB though, so maybe you could have Bangor as an insurance. It is not a bad university, ranked around 50 on the general tables, so there are much worse places to be.

Maybe RH as firm and Bangor as insurance?

Good luck wherever you go...

Can anyone help me out? http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4#post11460764

ReputationRep:
    My uncle is a senior lecturer in pschology at york - he won the national teaching award (of all university teaching) in 2006 and wrote the textbook they use at harvard for visual cognition. It's ****ing brilliant (i'm not biased or anything). Only thing I would say as a negative is something my sister told me that was true about 8 years ago - that it's predominantly white middle class (comparative to loughborough say), but thats probably true of most places..

ReputationRep:
    RHUL is amazing :-)

It's well-respected for your course and also as a uni in general.

But it's about so much more than the course - research the uni's SU, their societies, their buildings, location etc. This will give you a much better idea.

Loughborough for example - you say it's got the best course, but you're not happy with it otherwise. It was my backup choice, because I loved the uni but not the course so much - I have friends there who love it; it's so good for sport and social life. But if it doesn't feel right for you, don't put it down. You need somewhere you're going to be excited about.

But I would always recommend the beautiful RHUL. Contrary to popular belief, it is not boring at all. It's close enough to London to go out there if you're a hardcore clubber, it has the best society scene ever, and the Union can be amazing if you go with the right people. I can't imagine being anywhere else!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    all courses have to be accreditted by the BPS so they are going to be similar. Before I came to York I thought that the course was the best laid out one. The department is excellent and the overall rep of the uni is great. From what I have heard from other ppl, the other unis are in the middle of nowhere pretty much. If you have any specific questions about York, feel free to ask on here/PM me

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for all your help, I've decided on Royal Holloway and Bangor. I felt that Royal Holloway definitely hit something within me and it's the place. Bangor is a great insurance. I am very very happy, especially now that I found the course at Royal Holloway is better than I first thought. I was iffy about declining York, but I think I've made the right decision.

ReputationRep:
    Well done on deciding. RHUL is most likely to be my firm too. So maybe i'll see you in sept/oct.

ReputationRep:
    york >> rhul >>>> lufbra >>>>>>>>> bangor

ReputationRep:
    I know Bangor gets a bit of stick, but I feel someone ought to defend it here!

I'm in my second year at Bangor at the moment. I know it doesn't come too high in the overall university league tables, but the Psychology department is meant to be one of the best in the country! It's probably the biggest and best funded department in the university (poss on a par with Ocean Sciences).

Good luck with it all!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 23, 2008

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.