The Student Room Group

Body of Christ

Hi,

Can someone tell me what to do with this when given and what it means?

cheers:smile:
any body?
Which denomination do you belong to? Coz it'll vary from denomination to denomination :yes:
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
Which denomination do you belong to? Coz it'll vary from denomination to denomination :yes:

Can you let me know what it means in the different denominations?:smile:
Original post by Simonthegreat
Can you let me know what it means in the different denominations?:smile:

I only really know how it works in my denomination, which is Roman Catholic. In Roman Catholicism, you can partake at the Eucharist very frequently (at daily Mass) and it is considered to (after the priest blesses the bread and wine) to be the actual Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, through transubstantiation. (Don't ask me to explain how that works, I'm still not sure tbh :tongue: )

I believe we are the only denomination that believes in transubstantiation. If you have not been baptised and done your First Holy Communion ceremony, then you should not be partaking in the Roman Catholic Eucharistic celebrations, in terms of receiving the transformed bread and wine. Roman Catholicism is very strict about who can and cannot receive the bread and wine. So the answer to your first question about what to do with it when given it, is - don't go up to get it :tongue:

As I've said, in Roman Catholicism it is taken to be the actual Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, after transubstantiation. In most (if not every) other denominations, it is understood to be a memorial act in remembrance of the Last Supper. It is not taken to be the Body and Blood of Jesus. Communion in these denominations may be infrequent (monthly, I think in Baptist churches) or not even done at all (Quakers).

Hope this helps a bit. Why do you ask?
Reply 5
any body?

I can't speak for all CofE churches but for me taking the bread and wine is symbolic, remembering the last supper and Christ's death on the cross.

The cracker or bread is symbolic of Christ's body broken for us and the wine is symbolic of the blood shed for our sins.

We say a few prayers along these lines:-

When we eat this bread and drink this cup,we proclaim your death, Lord Jesus,until you come in glory.

Father eternal, giver of light and grace,we have sinned against you and against our neighbour,in what we have thought,in what we have said and done,through ignorance, through weakness,through our own deliberate fault.We have wounded your loveand marred your image in us.We are sorry and ashamedand repent of all our sins.For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ,who died for us,forgive us all that is pastand lead us out from darknessto walk as children of light.Amen.
Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd
I only really know how it works in my denomination, which is Roman Catholic. In Roman Catholicism, you can partake at the Eucharist very frequently (at daily Mass) and it is considered to (after the priest blesses the bread and wine) to be the actual Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, through transubstantiation. (Don't ask me to explain how that works, I'm still not sure tbh :tongue: )

I believe we are the only denomination that believes in transubstantiation. If you have not been baptised and done your First Holy Communion ceremony, then you should not be partaking in the Roman Catholic Eucharistic celebrations, in terms of receiving the transformed bread and wine. Roman Catholicism is very strict about who can and cannot receive the bread and wine. So the answer to your first question about what to do with it when given it, is - don't go up to get it :tongue:

As I've said, in Roman Catholicism it is taken to be the actual Body and Blood of Jesus Christ, after transubstantiation. In most (if not every) other denominations, it is understood to be a memorial act in remembrance of the Last Supper. It is not taken to be the Body and Blood of Jesus. Communion in these denominations may be infrequent (monthly, I think in Baptist churches) or not even done at all (Quakers).

Hope this helps a bit. Why do you ask?

So do people eat this then when they receive it and why? Do you have to be baptised to have this? What happens if you take it and you are not?
Original post by Racoon
I can't speak for all CofE churches but for me taking the bread and wine is symbolic, remembering the last supper and Christ's death on the cross.

The cracker or bread is symbolic of Christ's body broken for us and the wine is symbolic of the blood shed for our sins.

We say a few prayers along these lines:-

When we eat this bread and drink this cup,we proclaim your death, Lord Jesus,until you come in glory.

Father eternal, giver of light and grace,we have sinned against you and against our neighbour,in what we have thought,in what we have said and done,through ignorance, through weakness,through our own deliberate fault.We have wounded your loveand marred your image in us.We are sorry and ashamedand repent of all our sins.For the sake of your Son Jesus Christ,who died for us,forgive us all that is pastand lead us out from darknessto walk as children of light.Amen.

There was no wine, Just a white round piece and the priest said body of christ.. Just not sure what it all means?
So do people eat this then when they receive it and why? Do you have to be baptised to have this? What happens if you take it and you are not?

Yes you have to be baptised and had First Holy Communion preparation course and ceremony to receive it in the RC Church. If you take it when you're not nothing bad usually happens, dw :tongue: Yes people eat the wafer and drink the wine. When the priest says "Body of Christ" or "Blood of Christ", you say "Amen" back.

We do this because this is what Jesus instructed His followers to do at the Last Supper :jebus:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending