Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Aren't Starbucks only the biggest purchaser since they are one of (if not THE) largest coffee houses?

Anyway, I hate starbucks; they're overpriced and overamerican.

I don't really care if the companies get even more profits from selling fairtrade goods (although I have to say, I fail to see how, when fairtrade goods at all of the supermarkets I shop at are sold at the same price as "normal" goods), either way, the producers are ultimately getting more of a fair deal. My concern isn't stopping the corporations, as market damaging as some of them are.

Put it in a charity box? I think not - charity most often ends up in the wrong hands and causes more disparity than there would have been otherwise. Shaun39 - you say there are other means of giving to "charity"? Do you not realise how many problems are inherent within that head of "charity"?

ReputationRep:
    Paying more than £1 for a cup of mediocre coffee is sad IMO, still it's peoples money.

I think on balance fair trade goods to genuinely give money to deprived or struggling areas, if there are people exploiting it it still doesn't outweigh the good practice.

Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.