Turn on thread page Beta

Being on the pill and breast cancer watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've recently started having sex with this guy I really like, and I'm going on the pill (dianette, which is also good for improving acne) as I wanted this too just to be safe. I was reading the info leaflet that came with the pills and it says that women who take it are more likely to get breast cancer and this has left me terrified. My doctor didn't tell me anything about the risk. Should I just not take the pill and hope that condoms will always be enough?

ReputationRep:
    Yes its true, too much estrogen can stimulate cancerous growths. Anyway, think about it, how can ingesting synthetic hormones ever be good for you?

I can't believe all the trouble women have to go through to prevent conception, when its that tiny bit of fluid coming from the guy that's causing the problem, they should invent a temporary sterilising injection for guys

(Original post by Rouge)
    Yes its true, too much estrogen can stimulate cancerous growths. Anyway, think about it, how can ingesting synthetic hormones ever be good for you?

I can't believe all the trouble women have to go through to prevent conception, when its that tiny bit of fluid coming from the guy that's causing the problem, they should invent a temporary sterilising injection for guys
    The contraceptive pill has been proven through trials to DECREASE overall mortality.
    That is to say for those cancers it increases slightly in risk it DECREASES your risk from others (such as ovarian) much more so.

Rouge should not comment on things she doesn't understand.

To summarise - the contraceptive pill = good. Fantastic in fact. espeically for this poster in whom it will sort two problems out short term and help in the long term too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamie)
    The contraceptive pill has been proven through trials to DECREASE overall mortality.
    That is to say for those cancers it increases slightly in risk it DECREASES your risk from others (such as ovarian) much more so.

Rouge should not comment on things she doesn't understand.

To summarise - the contraceptive pill = good. Fantastic in fact. espeically for this poster in whom it will sort two problems out short term and help in the long term too.
    :ditto:

Also, there is only a small increase in the chance of getting breast cancer through taking the pill. As Jamie has said, it can decrease your risk of getting other cancers.

ReputationRep:
    Virtually everything causes cancer. There's something on the news every week about new items causing cancer.

Don't worry. It's a really really small % but obviously they have to write it down. If it was that dangerous they wouldn't allow people on it.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've heard, in terms of your own life expectancy, the pill is good for you as long as you stop after 15-20 years.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.