The Student Room Group

Finance for Graduate entry....

Hi, I applied to medicine early this year, and so far only have offers back from my back door courses (i.e. Biomedical science in a vain last ditch attempt at graduate entry...).

I have heard that you are only allowed to take out one student loan, or graduate entry courses are not covered through student finance...or something to that effect. Is this true? If so, if there are any graduate entry students here, how on Earth do you finance yourselves? Even with my job, I don't see myself making enough to cover me while doing another, demanding degree!

Apologies if this seems trivial or I have posted this in the wrong section...consider it a panic attack if nothing else now that it appears unlikely that Leeds with magically give me a place for medicine itself :smile:
Reply 1
I was thinking taking the sandwich course and using the the salary I get during that year. I would love to do medicine but I am definetly not counting on it, I am very happy and content with becoming a biomedical scientist or anything medically related.
Reply 2
I believe as things stand at the moment:

a) - You can get a maintenence loan.
b) - You cannot get a tuition fee loan.

It's pretty much up to you to find the money, but if you're like me and you didn't win the genetic lottery so don't have parents who can pay for everything... well pretty much one of your only options is to find a job that pays enough to cover the £3000 a year in surplus... or more realistically plead to your bank manager for a graduate development loan. With banks you can typically borrow up to £25,000 and not have to start paying it back until you graduate, however, unlike a student loan during your first degree, the interest is higher so you will pay back considerable more than you've borrowed. It's a **** situation I have to admit, but there's not much we can do about it as things stand.
Reply 3
£3000 per year or term? If it's per year then in the end I will owe what...£12,000? Bloody hell, I guess I should start working now.... *tries to think of a suitable get rich quick internet scheme*
Reaper23
£3000 per year or term? If it's per year then in the end I will owe what...£12,000? Bloody hell, I guess I should start working now.... *tries to think of a suitable get rich quick internet scheme*

GEP seems proper hard to get into as well.......

If I were u...take a year out and reapply..what hav u got to lose eh!
Reaper23

per year yeah.

i remember writing quite a detailed post about this a while ago, i'll see if i can find it :smile:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=11317958&postcount=8
Reply 6
Reaper23

Currently a department of health bursary will cover years 2-4 of your course on graduate-entry (4 year) courses. So you would "only" have to stump up £3k for your first year of study. However... this does not apply to the 5 year courses which you can apply to as a graduate but aren't strictly speaking graduate entry courses. There you have to pay for the first 4 years of study by yourself.

Latest

Trending

Trending