The Student Room Group

Studying BTEC Level 3 ICT

Hey,

I need some help ASAP.

I have done a two year course and have achieved 5 distinctions which means all I need is a pass for my next unit. However I failed my last unit at college and they don't have any other units for me to do.

My question is: How do I find one unit to do to achieve my full diploma? Can I do it online or what can someone help?
Reply 1
bump
Reply 2
Are you still at college?

If so ask to self teach yourself one and find one from the course specification

You'll probably have to do it at your college though as if you went elsewhere the units might not be the same and the standard may differ, by this I mean if you went to a different provider they would enter you for the course and you'd have to submit your work to them but it's very unlikely that they'd do all the same units

Go and speak to your college and see what they can offer you
Reply 3
Original post by yt7777
Are you still at college?

If so ask to self teach yourself one and find one from the course specification

You'll probably have to do it at your college though as if you went elsewhere the units might not be the same and the standard may differ, by this I mean if you went to a different provider they would enter you for the course and you'd have to submit your work to them but it's very unlikely that they'd do all the same units

Go and speak to your college and see what they can offer you

I spoke to my college and they said to try and find another institute so that I can do one unit.
They don't do any other units.
Reply 4
Original post by Dud4ever2
I spoke to my college and they said to try and find another institute so that I can do one unit.
They don't do any other units.

its extremely rare you'll find this, bad advice from your college
Reply 5
So does anyone know If I can do one unit privately or pay for it somewhere so that I can do this?

Anyone please help as any college won't just let me do one unit.is there anywhere else.
So does anyone know If I can do one unit privately or pay for it somewhere so that I can do this?

Anyone please help as any college won't just let me do one unit.is there anywhere else.

As someone has said above, doing just one unit somewhere completely different would be almost impossible. Is there absolutely no way your college will let you either retake the unit or study a different one? It's in their interest at your grade will become one of their statistics, so I reckon you have some room to negotiate and try to persuade them
Reply 7
Original post by brainzistheword
As someone has said above, doing just one unit somewhere completely different would be almost impossible. Is there absolutely no way your college will let you either retake the unit or study a different one? It's in their interest at your grade will become one of their statistics, so I reckon you have some room to negotiate and try to persuade them

Is there no private places I can pay to do it?
I got done for plagasim a bit of my work,

They don't do any other units. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to redo the unit if I have failed it
Is there no private places I can pay to do it?
I got done for plagasim a bit of my work,

They don't do any other units. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to redo the unit if I have failed it

If you were doing the whole BTEC privately, then that would be much easier to find, however just one unit wouldn't be worth it for a provider, or yourself.

If it was plagiarism, then I can understand their reservations, however, how much have you tried to resolve it? Have you spoken to them the once or tried to make amends? there may still be something you can do.
Reply 9
If you were doing the whole BTEC privately, then that would be much easier to find, however just one unit wouldn't be worth it for a provider, or yourself.

If it was plagiarism, then I can understand their reservations, however, how much have you tried to resolve it? Have you spoken to them the once or tried to make amends? there may still be something you can do.

I can make it worth while for a provider by paying them money.

I don't really know how I can make amends because they have awarded me for the two units I've done in the 2nd year but cause I plagarized a bit of one of my assessments they had to kick me off the course right at the end.

I'll try message my head of year to see if I can resit the same unit next year if they will let me.

Do you guys if this is possible or know of any private places that can do this?

You say it won't be worth it for me? Yes it will be if I get a full diploma with a D Star overall.
(edited 5 years ago)
I can make it worth while for a provider by paying them money.

I don't really know how I can make amends because they have awarded me for the two units I've done in the 2nd year but cause I plagarized a bit of one of my assessments they had to kick me off the course right at the end.

I'll try message my head of year to see if I can resit the same unit next year if they will let me.

Do you guys if this is possible or know of any private places that can do this?

You say it won't be worth it for me? Yes it will be if I get a full diploma with a D Star overall.

When I say not worth it, I mean that doing one unit with a separate provider may not count in the same way that a full qualification with one college would. Therefore it could be a waste of time for you and thats why it wouldn't be in another provider's interest to let you sit one unit, irrespective of whether or not you pay them. Consequently, I've not come across anywhere that would allow such an arrangement, so you'd be best asking locally or emailing around companies that accept private candidates (though these are generally for A-levels where you just sit the exams - not courses which involve coursework).
Reply 11
When I say not worth it, I mean that doing one unit with a separate provider may not count in the same way that a full qualification with one college would. Therefore it could be a waste of time for you and thats why it wouldn't be in another provider's interest to let you sit one unit, irrespective of whether or not you pay them. Consequently, I've not come across anywhere that would allow such an arrangement, so you'd be best asking locally or emailing around companies that accept private candidates (though these are generally for A-levels where you just sit the exams - not courses which involve coursework).

If I get kicked off a course is it possible to re-inrole at the same college and redo the unit?
If I get kicked off a course is it possible to re-inrole at the same college and redo the unit?

It'll depend on the college's policy for plagiarism. Often you can't and if it's anything like GCSE, they may have reported you to the exam board/regulator which could prevent it. You would need to speak to them though.
Reply 13
It'll depend on the college's policy for plagiarism. Often you can't and if it's anything like GCSE, they may have reported you to the exam board/regulator which could prevent it. You would need to speak to them though.

So what are my options what can I do.
So what are my options what can I do.

Ask your college that exact question - as they are the best to advise you; they know your situation better than anyone on here
Reply 15
Ask your college that exact question - as they are the best to advise you; they know your situation better than anyone on here

All they have told me is to find somewhere else to try and do one unit and I've tried many colleges and they all have said they just don't do it
Reply 16
All they have told me is to find somewhere else to try and do one unit and I've tried many colleges and they all have said they just don't do it

No college will accommodate studying for just 1 unit, this is very uncommon and I highly doubt you'll find somewhere. Your best bet is to keep trying your previous college to allow you to retake

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending